Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Horror Film Club (May 17th) - The Entity

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 822 Likes on 323 Posts

The Entity (1981)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

Netflix Watch Instantly Link

Selected by riotinmyskull

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
Oscar®-nominee Barbara Hershey (PORTRAIT OF A LADY, BEACHES) stars as Carla Moran, a hard-working single mother until the night she is raped in her bedroom by someone – or something – that she cannot see.
Despite skeptical psychiatrists, she is repeatedly attacked in her car, in the bath, and in front of her children.
Could this be a case of hysteria, a manifestation of childhood sexual trauma, or something even more horrific?
Now with a group of daring parapsychologists, Carla will attempt an unthinkable experiment: to seduce, trap and ultimately capture the depraved spectral fury that is THE ENTITY.

Ron Silver (CHICAGO HOPE, ALI) co-stars in this supernatural shocker directed by Sidney J. Furie (IRON EAGLE, THE IPCRESS FILE) from a screenplay by Frank De Felitta (AUDREY ROSE), based on his best-selling novel.

FUN FACTS: The real-life Carla Moran's teenage son described a particularly vicious attack in which Carla was thrown by the malevolent force and hit her head.
He tried to intervene, but he was also thrown, breaking his arm.
In the filming of the movie, the actor playing the son broke his arm in that scene, and the curtains tore from top to bottom without explanation.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Film Club Home

Old 05-17-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Horror Film Club (May 17th) - The Entity

I ran across this blindly a few years ago and liked it. The ending was, slightly off, I guess you could say. Kind of like the TV show OZ, where it starts out as a semi-normal prison show and then gets wacky towards the end, like with the magic aging drugs. Slightly out of place considering the beginning half of the movie.
Old 05-21-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Saw this many a year ago, and remembered liking it. This time around, I thought it was still good, but not as great as it was in my mind. The scares are anything but. Yes, they are violent and you cringe, but you know exactly when they are coming. The only random one is in the car. The acting is good, and Ron Silver is great as the skeptical doctor trying to help her.

Another Fun Fact.... Martin Scorsese placed this on his top 11(odd?) scariest movies ever.
Old 05-31-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,299 Likes on 796 Posts

Watched this last night thru Netflix online. It's a decent little movie. Some decent chills though there are several items that really hurt the film overall.

What's with the obnoxious score that kicks in EVERY TIME the "Entity" shows up? That really got old. Some pretty poor dialogue in places and suspect acting from the minor characters. Also, the director seemed to really enjoy odd camera angles especially when filming two people. Some really odd close-ups that make certain scenes irritating to view. Likely done on purpose but it wasn't done in a clever way.

The ending is a little disappointing as I was really interested in seeing what they did to get rid of this thing. I actually think this movie would be a good one to join the recent remake row. If done right, it could be really scary.

*** out of *****.

I forgot to ask, does Barbara Hershey actually appear nude in this film? The first main nude scene appears to be a body double and you never see her head connected to the body. Then during the "breast massages" the breasts look fake to me. Also, her nude body during the final rape scene looks more like a fake body with just her real head sticking up out of the bed. Kinda like a magician "sawing a person in half" effect. Am I wrong?

Last edited by Spiderbite; 05-31-10 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-12-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

I finally got a chance to watch this. I thought it was all right. I'm not sure what I expected. It's one of those films where I knew the title but not much else. I wasn't expecting a raping ghost. As brianluvdvd pointed out, there weren't much in the way of real scares, but it did get creepy every once in a while.

I understand there are some pretty big differences, but this film reminded me a lot of Paranormal Activity. I thought the basic storyline was very similar. I won't get into any detail here so as to not spoil anyone who hasn't seen Paranormal.
Old 06-12-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,299 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I understand there are some pretty big differences, but this film reminded me a lot of Paranormal Activity. I thought the basic storyline was very similar. I won't get into any detail here so as to not spoil anyone who hasn't seen Paranormal.
I completely agree. I just saw Paranormal the other day and the main plot point is quite similar
Spoiler:
"stalking ghost"
though I thought The Entity was much better in execution, acting, and all around atmosphere. PA was pretty dull to me and lacked any spookiness whatsoever. At least The Entity was creepy in places.