Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Prisoner complete series, which is the best set?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me which series is the best set? Do all three versions have the same extras? I know one of the sets came with a map and 50 page book but does the newest version have all of the same video extras as the others?

thanks
Old 11-16-09, 12:43 PM

Re: The Prisoner complete series, which is the best set?

The new Blu-ray discs have loads of new supplements including commentaries and an upgraded transfer, it is essentially the Network R2 package from a year or so ago. The new DVD set, however, has none of the new extras and is essentially a re-packaging of the A&E 10 disc Collector's set in slim case packaging. It also Does NOT contain the Village Map or Episode Guide from the previous set. I haven't been able to determine yet whether the transfer is new or not. I have yet to read a review of the new DVD set and would love to know if the picture quality has been upgraded.
Old 11-16-09, 01:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Never seen this show, but expect to love it.

Have the old A&E set, unopened. Should probably try to sell it and buy the blu-ray set, if only to save space.
Old 11-16-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never seen an episode but always wanted to, so staying away from spoilers, does this series have a satisfying conclusion, or was it left up in the air for some reason (early cancellation, for example)?
Old 11-16-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
I've never seen an episode but always wanted to, so staying away from spoilers, does this series have a satisfying conclusion, or was it left up in the air for some reason (early cancellation, for example)?
It has a conclusion, whether it was satisfying or not is up to the individual viewer (even moreso than most series finales).
Old 11-16-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,985 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
This is tough to answer... it does have a conclusion, and it's the conclusion that McGoohan apparently wanted. The series wasn't cancelled, and, in fact, ran longer than originally intended. Patrick McGoohan only wanted to seven episodes, but this was expanded to seventeen.

However, be advised that the ending is very much left to interpretation and remains a source of controversy to this day. It doesn't wrap everything up in a neat package, and raises more questions than it answers. It's also very, very strange, and very different from the sixteen episodes that preceded it.
Old 11-16-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by R. Hilton
It also Does NOT contain the Village Map or Episode Guide from the previous set.
A review of the new SD set on Amazon (dated 10/22/09): "Also this release has a pretty extensive PRINTED episode guide booklet that gives more than just a synopsis. You also get a little history of the making of that episode. Another extra is a fold out of the classic village map."

Also, it may also be of interest that the Blu-ray set's extras are on a SD disc.
Old 11-17-09, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you have a Blu-Ray player, then definitely get the Blu-Ray release. The show looks absolutely wonderful in high-def.
Old 11-17-09, 12:08 PM

The best DVD set is the Network R2 set. It makes the original and 40th A&E DVD sets look like something from the dollar bin.

I can't comment on the Blu-ray set but it sounds like A&E got smart and used the Network version although I'm not certain of the additional items that may be included and what the differences are between the A&E and Network packaging wise.

Network has done a great job with Patrick McGoohan's material.

Last edited by SanityRemoved; 11-17-09 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-17-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 665 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by SanityRemoved
I can't comment on the Blu-ray set but it sounds like A&E got smart and used the Network version although I'm not certain of the additional items that may be included and what the differences are between the A&E and Network packaging wise.
Here's a review comparing the two Blu-ray sets:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...er_blu-ray.htm

The A&E Blu-ray set can be had for $35 right now from DeepDiscount with a coupon code:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bar...-39-99-dd.html
Old 11-17-09, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
A review of the new SD set on Amazon (dated 10/22/09): "Also this release has a pretty extensive PRINTED episode guide booklet that gives more than just a synopsis. You also get a little history of the making of that episode. Another extra is a fold out of the classic village map."
I read this review as well. However, my new A&E DVD set does not contain the ep guide or map. I think that reviewer was actually talking about the Collector's set. Can anyone confirm if the new DVD's are the Network transfer?