Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Halloween (1978) reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 31

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 09:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

IMDB link for Halloween (1978)

Selection made by John Carpenter.

These "2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day #" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days subset.

General discussion on the 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge goes here, your list for the Challenge goes here.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day. You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day. Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags will not be needed, as it will be expected that anyone here has seen the film.

Do not read this thread if you have not seen the film, unless you don't mind the ending being spoiled for you.
Old 11-01-09, 10:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts
Re: Halloween (1978) reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 31

I sort of regret my decision to insist that this be in the subset each year.

Yes, it's one of the greatest horror films ever. But we talk about it a lot already, so it probably doesn't need a separate conversation here each year.

I loved watching it yesterday, but can't really say anything about it that I haven't said in the past Challenges.
Old 11-01-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the extended version with the scenes shot for TV included.

I think those few minutes make a big difference, adds a little more to the Loomis 'warning them' stuff.
Old 11-01-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Halloween shows how a good performance can really elevate a horror film. Jamie Lee Curtis is so real and likeable that, even after multiple viewings, I still worry for her and want her to survive.

And the minimalist score is great.
Old 11-01-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

I feel guilty for not watching this last night. I already had so many movies that I wanted to watch before the end of the challenge that I couldn't get around to it. However, I did watch the sequel for the first time, which wasn't too bad. It didn't come close to the first one, but it was still enjoyable.
Old 11-03-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I feel guilty for not watching this last night. I already had so many movies that I wanted to watch before the end of the challenge that I couldn't get around to it. However, I did watch the sequel for the first time, which wasn't too bad. It didn't come close to the first one, but it was still enjoyable.
I would suggest checking out Halloween IV, also. That is my 2nd favorite out of all of them. Resurrection being my favorite, of course. j/k.

As for Halloween, I mentioned this in spoiler tags in the other thread, but this was my first time viewing this movie and because it took place in "reality" and there was actually a relatively low body count, I was really on the edge of my seat the whole movie. Very intense. I true Carpenter masterpiece along with (IMHO) The Thing and Escape from New York.

I meant to do SO many more things in this challenge and completely faded. I wanted to watch the extended version and the documentary, but just never found the motivation after I got back from vacation and felt overwhelmed by my DVR.
Old 11-03-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I did watch Halloween on Halloween night then I started to watch the TV Version of Halloween 2 and dam it's ending is WOW.