Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Troll 2 reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 15

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 08:06 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

IMDB link for Troll 2 (1990)

Selection made by Mister Peepers.

These "2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day #" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days subset.

General discussion on the 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge goes here, your list for the Challenge goes here.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day. You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day. Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags will not be needed, as it will be expected that anyone here has seen the film.

Do not read this thread if you have not seen the film, unless you don't mind the ending being spoiled for you.
Old 10-15-09, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Troll 2 reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 15

FYI: Troll 2 is available through Hulu
http://www.hulu.com/troll-2

Before you hit play, look at the picture and explain to me which part of the movie has any relation to absolutely anything in that picture.

They also made a 3rd one which once again doesn't really have anything to do with the previous one.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106620/
Old 10-15-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know if/when the Troll 2 documentary Best Worst Movie will be released on DVD?
Old 10-15-09, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was painful to sit through - way beyond awful. To call it incompetent would actually be giving this crap too much praise. I can honestly say that all I did was endure this movie. None of the people involved with this thing should ever be allowed to even show their faces or even think about making another movie. The corn cob gave a better performance than anyone else in this piece of garbage. And if you are going to call a movie Troll 2, refer to them as trolls, not goblins.

Feel like washing my eyes with Clorox to wipe away even the faintest hint that I saw this thing!
Old 10-16-09, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Troll 2 is the greatest movie ever made... well not quite. But I love it for all its shittyness. Its horrible in every way, and it is the definition of "so bad its good". I don't think I've ever seen it sober and don't plan on it because it is perfection for drinking games or just relaxing alone for a stupidly entertaining time.
Old 10-16-09, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Troll 2 is so bad that I enjoy watching it. Who knew...
Old 10-16-09, 09:41 AM

I fell asleep during Troll 2 last night, so more on that literal snoozefest later, but I freaking loved Troll.

I'm not saying it was a great movie, it obviously isn't, but I had a ton of fun watching it, mainly for the awesome cast. Michael Moriarty is always good, as is Phil Fondacaro. It was great seeing June Lockhart with her daughter Anne. And if all that wasn't sweet enough, we get Shelley Hack, Gary Sandy from WKRP in Cincinnati, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Sonny Bono!
Old 10-16-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I fell asleep during Troll 2 last night, so more on that literal snoozefest later, but I freaking loved Troll.

I'm not saying it was a great movie, it obviously isn't, but I had a ton of fun watching it, mainly for the awesome cast. Michael Moriarty is always good, as is Phil Fondacaro. It was great seeing June Lockhart with her daughter Anne. And if all that wasn't sweet enough, we get Shelley Hack, Gary Sandy from WKRP in Cincinnati, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Sonny Bono!
As I said in the main thread, I absolutely loved Troll when I was a kid. I watched that movie so many times, and it's pretty shocking how many recognizable faces are in it. And like I also mentioned in the other thread, it's extra funny that the father and son in the first Troll movie are Harry Potter Sr. and Jr.

As for this movie, my immediate thought was, like llandros said, why don't you call them trolls if that's the name of the movie?! It's hard to believe a movie could be this incompetent, but it sure is. And this movie has far and away the worst mouth puppeteering (is that what it would be called?) I have ever seen. You would see a goblin's mouth barely move and a whole monologue would come out. It's like everyone just gave up.

All that being said, I can see myself watching this movie again. It was just so damn awful but in an almost hypnotic way. Oh, and just to make all of you guys jealous, I watched this after recording it from MGM-HD. Yes, that's right. I got to watch this movie in HD!
Old 10-16-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I was "lucky" enough to see this on the big screen this summer at our local rep theatre. It was a pretty big event with signed posters and t-shirts from the cast. They even called the guy who played the father up (now a dentist, I believe) and there was a short Q&A with him over the phone which ended in him telling us all not to "piss on hospitality". It would good to see such a sense of humour over what became such a classic campy flick. Of course, the Mike Nelson commentary for this is pretty funny too over at Rifftrax.

One of my favorite bad movie dances comes from this with the be-Garfield-shirted sister flaunting her stuff in front of the mirror. She's no Glover, but it is funny stuff.
Old 10-16-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD guy Darren is one of my myspace friends. We've chatted before

yeah the movie sucks but that's what makes it appealing I guess.
Old 10-16-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

this movie is a 10/100 if based on its actual laurels... but as a Good Bad Movie... its the best film ever. My favorite scene is when the daughter first sees grandpa, and when the parent's come out the mother looks right into the camera.
Old 10-16-09, 04:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I swear I've seen the actor that played the father in other stuff, but according to IMDB he hasn 't been in much. As for the film, I thought the scenes between the father and son were hysterical. The actress who played the mother couldn't act out of a paper bag. It was bad, but still entertaining. The first 'Troll' was infinently more entertaining and shorter ... and had a better cast.
Old 10-16-09, 06:27 PM

So many scenes just had me laughing so hard I couldn't stop. When they are driving in the van and the mother tells the kid to sing that song I like so much - then it turns to row, row, row your boat! And the daughter's dance scene was great. Can't even describe how terrible the main villain's acting was - her eyes and delivery was so ridiculously over the top. So many drinking games could be made from this crap film.

I think my mission now is to subject as many other people to this pile of crap as I can. I hated it when it was over last night, but thinking back on it, it really is the best worst movie ever made.
Old 10-17-09, 09:31 AM

I haven't decided yet if it is a good bad movie, or just a bad movie.

I did enjoy watching it though, as I laughed out loud at many of the dramatic scenes.
Old 10-18-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Saw this in our local "cool-house" theatre earlier in the summer. There was a Q&A via speakerphone with the dude who played the Dad. He sure loves to talk about this movie! Anyway, the thing is a blast and I don't know why I've never bothered to pick up the DVD. Guess I'm hopeful there'll be a Blu-ray forthcoming.