Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of The Haunting in Connecticut

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the editor of The Fear is Real, so I gotta cry foul on the reviewer's "crying foul" of the "shameless stunt" in the doc.

We knew from the get go that the "cross incident" would be called out by skeptics, but the reality is, it actually happened during the course of filming. Whether it was something supernatural or just coincidence is up for debate, but if we had planned it as an elaborate hoax, don't you think we would've actually SHOWN it happen instead of having it occur off frame?

I'd also like to note that there were additional things that happened during Carmen's interview (strange noises, temperature changes) which we deliberately left on the cutting room floor because we didn't think anyone would believe it. All in all, we tried our hardest to keep the most balanced perspective on this haunting case (which is why we showed the skeptical arguments) so that we could let the viewer decide. But everything you see in the doc is presented "as is."
Old 07-14-09, 02:58 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of The Haunting in Connecticut

Originally Posted by Kasch
I'm the editor of The Fear is Real, so I gotta cry foul on the reviewer's "crying foul" of the "shameless stunt" in the doc.

We knew from the get go that the "cross incident" would be called out by skeptics, but the reality is, it actually happened during the course of filming. Whether it was something supernatural or just coincidence is up for debate, but if we had planned it as an elaborate hoax, don't you think we would've actually SHOWN it happen instead of having it occur off frame?

I'd also like to note that there were additional things that happened during Carmen's interview (strange noises, temperature changes) which we deliberately left on the cutting room floor because we didn't think anyone would believe it. All in all, we tried our hardest to keep the most balanced perspective on this haunting case (which is why we showed the skeptical arguments) so that we could let the viewer decide. But everything you see in the doc is presented "as is."
Watched this doc last week and got to say - it gave me the chills. Seemed like it could have been a stunt but I shrugged it off. This was very well-produced though and I enjoyed every minute of it. Is this the first time of documentary you guys have done before?
Old 07-15-09, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Kasch, you've drummed up at least one rent! I'll be watching this soon.
Old 07-15-09, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the movie is well made, acted, and very creepy. I'm waiting for it to arrive from Amazon. Grade: ***/****.
Old 07-15-09, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Watched this doc last week and got to say - it gave me the chills. Seemed like it could have been a stunt but I shrugged it off. This was very well-produced though and I enjoyed every minute of it. Is this the first time of documentary you guys have done before?
Glad ya dug it, Gizmo.

This wasn't our first doc. We previously did all the bonus features for Friday the 13th: 4-8: Deluxe Editions.
Old 07-15-09, 02:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kasch
Glad ya dug it, Gizmo.

This wasn't our first doc. We previously did all the bonus features for Friday the 13th: 4-8: Deluxe Editions.
Ah ha! I thought it looked semi-familiar. I reviewed those as well.
Old 07-17-09, 11:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I'd love to see another review of this DVD. Having someone review this when they don't like the genre, even a classic like The Exorcist, is a strange choice. Nice review, and I appreciate their opinion, but anyone looking at this review is going to be a fan of the genre most likely.
Old 07-17-09, 08:25 PM

Hey,

So I take it this movie is quite scary? How is the acting because the Blair Witch project was good but the acting a little overdone. I really didn't follow the movie well so I don't feel it fair to critique that one but if the acting is good I would probably rent the movie. I went to High School in CT and have family there so it would be quite creepy.

Aloha,
Tara
Old 07-18-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm waiting to purchase this disc until players are upgraded with firmware updates to bypass the 'unreasonable loading time' issues it's been having. I can't wait to see it though.
Old 07-20-09, 04:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I'm waiting to purchase this disc until players are upgraded with firmware updates to bypass the 'unreasonable loading time' issues it's been having. I can't wait to see it though.
It eventually worked in my S550. Try unplugging, wait 5 minutes, and try again. Seems to freeze for many people during the loading (house glowing) screen. And if you are connected to BD-Live - UNPLUG!
Old 07-20-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a known issue on the BDP-83 Oppo, which is what I currently have and use. They're already supplying people with experiment firmware updates upon request to try and alleviate the issue, but eventually a major firmware will be out to replace it. In the meantime, I can definitely just wait the 7 or 8 minutes for the disc to load while I do something else, or I can just wait to buy the movie entirely. Watchmen is a MUCH higher priority for me this week