Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Fireproof'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 02-09-09, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Kurt Dahlke's DVD review of Fireproof at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=36201 and...
I think the review was way off. I think the movie had solid content. The movie jumped into the content a little fast, but most of the movie was just amazing. This is really a must see. Single or married you should see it. Especially if you're married it's a great movie.
Old 02-09-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,799 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Fireproof'

Thanks for the comments. I don't really feel like I was 'way off' (of course). I agree that the content was solid, and actually liked how the movie got right into the nitty gritty.

However, for me the movie felt padded by Caleb's long talks with his dad, talks that started to get repetitive, and many of the amateur performances were a little too obvious.

Compared to most dramas, (religious or not) Fireproof is decent, but below average for the reasons above.

As an aid to understanding many of the problems inherent in relationships (marriage mostly) I agree that the movie has a lot to offer.
Old 02-09-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Honestly I felt your review was "kind" and you didn't take any of the obvious pot-shots at the movie. To me it felt so message heavy that I was a bit insulted by the writing and it's view of how a real marriage needs religion to succeed.

Maybe that is my biggest complain on the film. That love and respect only came after the challenge (and God) was embraced. Had the movie carried the universal idea of just love and respect the person you are with and kept the rest out I think it'd relate to people of both other (and no) faith a bit more. But I guess the movie wasn't really supposed to sell love... just the Baptist approach to it.
Old 02-09-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,799 Likes on 1,210 Posts

It would have been too easy (but fun) to take those pot-shots. I don't agree that a real marriage needs religion to succeed, but I felt that (considering the source) the message was soft-pedaled enough that viewers could choose to take it with a grain of salt.

The extras were more overtly evangelical, which I took some issue with.

On the whole, the realism of the marriage in distress was enough to make me suppress my knee-jerk reaction and take what I wanted from the movie. I think plenty of secular viewers will be able to do the same. (I've actually had friends watch this movie to tell me what they think - as well as my wife - and so far our opinions seem to match.)

Old 02-10-09, 10:17 AM

Overall I think you're right the movie did have areas that needed work on them. Some of the acting was very amateur, but I was kind of expecting that being that it was done by a single group of church members. I took that into account when watching it. I think the acting needed work, but considering this is their second film put together, I thought it was very well done. For me the message was very important and I think our society needs to see more movies like this. Our divorce rate is rather high, and well, I think the movie really showed people can work through their problems instead of just throwing them away.
Old 02-10-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by PrimeraPrinting
...considering this is their second film put together, I thought it was very well done.
It's their third:

Fireproof (2008)
Facing The Giants (2006)
Flywheel (2003)

They did a good job, considering the $500,000 budget, but it does play like a made-for-TV movie in its best parts, amateur soap opera in its worst.