Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Battlestar Galactica - Season 4.0'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Todd Douglass Jr.'s DVD review of Battlestar Galactica - Season 4.0 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=35930 and...

Razor was included because it was originally intended to be the fourth season premiere. Can't remember explicitly why it was aired separately, think maybe because of the writer's strike.
Old 01-13-09, 08:35 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Battlestar Galactica - Season 4.0'

I think this is by far the weakest season. Characters aren't acting realistically and out of character. The rather large shift in Apollo was glossed over. The Politics are not nearly as interesting as they once were. Baltar's scenes pale to what they once were. Starbucks "We're going the wrong way" lasted too long.

Everything felt like a big set up for something huge that was gonna happen, but then they never deliver on that. I swallowed a lot of rushed ideas only to come to mostly nothing. I'd rather skip forward in time like they did for Season 3 than wade through some of these ideas that are half-cooked.

Many episodes feel simultaneously too long and like they are missing vital information that help the story move along at the right pace.

While it does pick up near the end and have some nice revelations, I'm hoping 4.5 is LEAPS beyond this.
Old 01-13-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by waltermr
Razor was included because it was originally intended to be the fourth season premiere. Can't remember explicitly why it was aired separately, think maybe because of the writer's strike.
I don't think this is true...at least not 100% true. I'm pretty sure Universal was looking for a stand-alone direct to DVD product that they could make money off of, but could also air down the road as part of the show (if/when it went to syndication). Now some of the IDEAS used in the movie may have orginally been planned for the season four opener, but I don't think Razor was ever originally intended to be the 4th season premiere.
Old 01-14-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

If you listen to the audio commentary on Razor, Ron Moore actually mentions that it's episode 401 and 402, but yes he did say Universal wanted a standalone product for the DVD market. He says that possibly in the future it may be edited into 2 separate installments.
Old 01-15-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
If you listen to the audio commentary on Razor, Ron Moore actually mentions that it's episode 401 and 402, but yes he did say Universal wanted a standalone product for the DVD market. He says that possibly in the future it may be edited into 2 separate installments.
Right, there's actually some legal clause where only Glen Larson can make TV movies based on the BSG franchise, so Universal ordered Razor as the first two parts of a "22" episode order for season 4.

Not sure how they're going to do the next movie "The Plan", but this is reason for Razor.

And yes it was kinda annoying to have it forced in the boxset. What I really would have liked to have seen would be an alternate cut of Razor
Spoiler:
in the commentary Moore says that in the script everything with Kendra Shaw, etc, happens mostly in chronological order, and when they started editing the footage, the flashback structure came to them as a better way to tell the story. So, what I would have loved to have seen was a pure chronological edit of all the footage (including the young Adama and young Helena Cain scenes) in order, kinda like that old TV version of the Godfather 1 and 2 with the footage in chronological order