Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Guns at Batasi'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Stuart Galbraith IV's DVD review of Guns at Batasi at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22025 and...thought he was pretentious and arrogant in not appreciting the skill of this production and it'space in the history of British Cinema and of Empire itself.

It is a wonderful example of Pinewood trying to hang on to the coat tails of Hollywood and show Imperialism and the understandable response in all it's flawed horror which is with us today in Zimbawe and the Congo.

Atenborough is simply superb and if you are more subtle than is required to sit through the latest Bond whizz bang and want to understand something of history, watch this.
Old 11-06-08, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<it'space>in line 2, should have read "it's place" - Sorry - I seem to be prevented from editing, hence this attempt at a correction.
Old 11-06-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I get the general impression that we saw the same movie, and that you liked it and that I did not. In these kinds of situations, my feeling is always that I'm genuinely glad you enjoyed it and found it more worthwhile than I did. You're welcome to disagree, but I think the tone of your complaints needlessly harsh, and your accusation that the review is pretentious and arrogant isn't supported by anything in the review.

Having watched the DVD some two-and-a-half years ago, I looked at my review again, to refresh my memory of both it and the film. It seems to me that it's eminently fair, an honestly expressed opinion supported by examples and comparisons to other films dealing with similar issues.