DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Iron Man'

Old 09-21-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

DVD Talk review of 'Iron Man'

I read Francis Rizzo III's DVD review of Iron Man at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34768 and...

When I read this line -

Hates: That I'm not a kid in this age of comic-book movies

- I just had to say "yes, I know that feeling". I suspect this is true for a lot of us 30-something comic book fans.
Old 09-21-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

^But at least we got to grow up in a golden age for kids' sci-fi: we got to see Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back before they became the middle films in a craptacular sextet; and, reruns of Star Trek TOS before TNG, et al; and we had the most splendidly-depressingly TV sci-fi of all time, Space 1999, along with quirky Brit Dr. Who, and the omnipresent reruns of The Twilight Zone. And, even if old-school BSG never lived up to the hype, at least it made it so we could better appreciate the re-imagined BSG.
Old 09-23-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Right and not being a kid didn't detract from my enjoyment of Iron Man.

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi View Post
^But at least we got to grow up in a golden age for kids' sci-fi: we got to see Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back before they became the middle films in a craptacular sextet; and, reruns of Star Trek TOS before TNG, et al; and we had the most splendidly-depressingly TV sci-fi of all time, Space 1999, along with quirky Brit Dr. Who, and the omnipresent reruns of The Twilight Zone. And, even if old-school BSG never lived up to the hype, at least it made it so we could better appreciate the re-imagined BSG.
Old 09-23-08, 05:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

even though it comes in SteelBook form which is nice, i really can't wait to see this again. i think the place i was at when 1st viewed wasn't conducive to the best viewing environment and it was only on reflect that i enjoyed it, but in controlled conditions, watching at leisure, i think i am in for one very enjoyable time.
Old 09-23-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Reading the review, i'm surprised it didn't get a Collector's Series nod
Old 09-23-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Reading the review, i'm surprised it didn't get a Collector's Series nod
Compared to other two disc sets that I've given that nod to (Zodiac, The Incredibles, The Life Aquatic and My Own Private Idaho), it just didn't stack up. Doesn't mean I couldn't gush over it though. It's a fine set.
Old 10-01-08, 07:50 PM
Cool New Member

Image Quality

Great movie but I can't honestly say that I am too happy with the video quality. It seems to jump back and forth a bit with some nice quality imagery and then poorer quality imagery. Unfortunately, more of the latter. I'm still happy that I made the blu-ray purchase, but probably would have settled for the 2 disc standard dvd based on my first viewing.
Another thing that was disappointing was the way the upc sticker was slapped on the back of the package (that might have only happened here in Canada) but it totally ruined the packaging. Nothing that a new blu-ray case can't fix, but it is big and it covers half of the text on the back cover. It can't be peeled off without ruining the clear plastic either. I know... 'picky' but I payed $34.00 for the thing, and the least they could was package it nicely.
Old 10-03-08, 11:48 AM

My only regret is that I never saw this in theaters. This movie is great! It's really well paced, the characters seem thought out and the action... ah.. the action is fantastic! I love it all! GET IT!
Old 10-04-08, 12:10 AM

What about the 2 disc set? Is it any good?? amazon has it available from the 6th of oct .. need to know if I should buy or not!
Old 10-04-08, 08:52 AM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by fdjk View Post
What about the 2 disc set? Is it any good?? amazon has it available from the 6th of oct .. need to know if I should buy or not!
Did you read this review? As Francis says "The film arrives as a two-disc set that's packed in a standard-width keepcase with a tray." And later: "Disc Two holds the rest of the extras..."