DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Something Different Please

Old 07-28-08, 03:30 PM
Cool New Member

Something Different Please

I am wanting a new film and want something a little different to what Im used to, I tend to go for well known hollywood actors or cinema blockbusters, I have heard alot of people talking about world cinema and was hopeing someone could recommend me a good flick to purchase. Only thing I ask for is English Audio.
Old 07-28-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

World Cinema cinema where everyone speaks English? Or, are we keen on having English dubs?

Pro-B
Old 07-28-08, 03:46 PM
Cool New Member

Sorry kinda new to Movies in general so Im guessing world cinema is usually a foreign language? Im just looking for something different and thought world cinema was an option but your right if it is not in english I will struggle with subtitles.
Old 07-28-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What are some of your favorite films? This way we can get a sense of what you like and make suggestions according to that.
Old 07-28-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, two films I'd recommend that a ton of people I personally know, have not seen:

Behind The Mask - The Rise of Leslie Vernon. Read up on it, it's quite clever. In short, documentary style a guy is trying to be the next 'Freddy' or 'Jason'. Puts these characters in a context they're real guys, normal, but have made such notorious names for themselves based on legends they create, they're effective killers. He wants to be the next masked murderer. It's filmed with a good quality digi-handcam kinda thing, but once the reporter gets too close, the movie switches to high quality film like a real movie, and it turns into the same chase and slash kinda movie this film picks on up until that point. I love it.

Hard Candy - It's fucked up. What's her name from Juno is in it. Read up on this, I don't have the time right now.
Old 07-28-08, 04:04 PM
Cool New Member

To be honest Im easily pleased I like Adventure type films like Indiana Jones, Goonies or King Kong.. War films like Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down.. And a bit of romance/comedy French Kiss, The Holiday or anything with a pretty girl lead role. So a bit of everything to be honest.

Am I being too vague? sorry if I am.

thanks for your input mzupeman2
Old 07-28-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm...we could probably go on forever in suggesting films to you...so much to choose from. Even the longest of journeys begins with but a single step:

JOYEUX NOEL (2005) - actress Diane Kruger (from the NATIONAL TREASURE films is in it)

CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON (2000)

BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF (2001) - with actress Monica Bellucci from the MATRIX films

AMELIE (2001) - not a big fan myself but a lot of people love this film...maybe I should revisit it and see if I might better appreciate it on a second viewing

PAN'S LABYRINTH (2006)
Old 07-28-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Ninhydrin
To be honest Im easily pleased I like Adventure type films like Indiana Jones, Goonies or King Kong.. War films like Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down.. And a bit of romance/comedy French Kiss, The Holiday or anything with a pretty girl lead role. So a bit of everything to be honest.
Then it sounds like the following won't disappoint you:

Brotherhood of the wolf
Blueberry
The Tunnel
13 Tzameti
Le Dernier Combat
Dellicatessen
The City of Lost Children
Assembly
TaeGukGi
Exiled
Angel-A
Girl on the Bridge

etc...

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 07-28-08 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-28-08, 04:42 PM
Cool New Member

I am very much appreciative of all your time I have heard of a couple in the sugestions above but most I have not and this is exactly what I was looking for I will look up on them and see which to go for.

Again thanks guys
Old 07-28-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a quick note, if you are interested in BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF, there is a director's cut version coming out on DVD in late August. The current DVD is the shorter theatrical cut.

If you have rental options, that might be the best way to go, until you get a feel for what you might like and dislike.
Old 07-28-08, 05:47 PM

If you want to watch something really strange, there is a movie called "Pin". Really, really different.

James
Old 07-29-08, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be honest Im easily pleased I like Adventure type films like Indiana Jones, Goonies or King Kong.. War films like Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down..
If you want a film that's foreign, war, and adventure, I think 'Das Boot' hits the jackpot for this criteria.
Old 07-29-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am very much appreciative of all your time I have heard of a couple in the sugestions above but most I have not and this is exactly what I was looking for I will look up on them and see which to go for.

Again thanks guys
Just be aware that a few posters seem to be ignoring your specification that the film have an English audio track.
Old 07-29-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry kinda new to Movies in general so Im guessing world cinema is usually a foreign language? Im just looking for something different and thought world cinema was an option but your right if it is not in english I will struggle with subtitles.
Yakuza Bengoshi, I don't think it is a case of some of us ignoring the original poster's request for English audio. Instead, based on the closing portion of the OP's post above, it reads to me that he is willing to give it a go even if it means relying only on English subs.
Old 07-29-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I read that same quote differently. Though "will struggle" reads the way you suggest (future tense, free of condition), the rest of the sentence reads otherwise to me.

Perhaps OP can clarify this.
Old 07-29-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And back to Ninhydrin's request, in the event you aren't well-versed in classic English-language cinema, there are a wealth of offerings which could prove different enough (and perhaps a smoother early transition to greater appreciation of films than one might find in non-English films). For example, you enjoy war films, so if you haven't already seen them maybe try movies such as THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI, THE DIRTY DOZEN, GUNS OF NAVARONE, etc. Or if you want an older example of a great battle film (since you enjoyed BLACK HAWK DOWN), then maybe try ZULU (co-starring a young Michael Caine). You could also try English-language films such as LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, THE WILD BUNCH, BONNIE AND CLYDE, etc. All the above are from the late 50's and primarily the 60's so it wouldn't be as jarring as perhaps jumping into 1930's black-and-white American cinema (again if you aren't already familiar with pre-JAWS cinema).
Old 07-29-08, 04:22 PM
Cool New Member

Sorry to confuse and make a debate on my poor english.... apologies.

What I meant was I would not want subs.
I have watched the japanese version of crouching tiger hidden dragon and found I was reading the screen and unable to follow the visuals which spoiled it a bit for me so I would prefer to stay away from subs.

Flixtime thanks for your recommendations, I have actually watched quite a few of those films especially zulu which tends to be on english terestrial TV every holiday LOL

I have picked a few of the war titles mentioned so any other genre would be great especially romance for my other half, Amelie looks as though this will appeal and forgot about chocolat we like that one.

Cheers again
Old 07-30-08, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

What I meant was I would not want subs.
Then...

Le dernier combat (entirely without any dialog at all)

Tuvalu almost entirely without any dialog...but with the music of Goran Bregovic (Underground). This would be for the different and romance departments.

Pro-B
Old 07-30-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay Ninhydrin we'll forget about you, guns, and adventure for a while and maybe try and focus more on the romance movie side of things...happy other half = happy Ninhydrin.

Are you familiary with the Irish film ONCE (2006)? I haven't seen it yet myself but it was well-received by many.

Also a 2004 Korean film called 3-IRON, you don't have to worry about reading subtitles because there is very little dialogue in the film.
Old 07-30-08, 12:30 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks very much I am going to look at these and maybe pick another two out