Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Jumper".....a good blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I didn't see this in the theater because the reviews were mostly bad on RT. But then I read some fairly decent user reviews here on DVD Talk and other places. Still, I'm torn about this. Is this a decent blind buy? I now have a Blu-Ray and it looks like it could be a cool BD. I'm a huge Doug Liman fan. But I kind of hate Hayden Christensen. So, I'm looking for advice. Or a nudge.
Old 06-05-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I thought the plot was very thin and action scenes weren't good enough to make up it. Overall, it was OK movie with some entertainment value, but does it warrant paying $28 for the Blu-ray? I don't know. I'm sure Blockbuster will have the BD for rent, so you can give it a try for only $5.
Old 06-05-08, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given that this is a FOX title and has a high SRP, I would suggest renting first. I liked it, but it did have it's problems. I'll be getting it, whenever there is a sale on the title.
Old 06-05-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rent...and then vent.
Old 06-05-08, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I enjoyed it, but it wasn't anything spectacular or great. It has a good deal of problems, but the effects and sound should be pretty awesome in High-Def. I'd buy it on sale for maybe 15 or 20, but not for 28+
Old 06-06-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Yes, yes, 100 times yes.

I avoided this in the theaters because reviewers had trashed it, and it's actually a lot of fun. FAR more entertaining than those OTHER two movies starring Hayden and Sam Jackson.
Old 06-06-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I liked Jumper quite a bit. Definitely an entertaining flick.
Old 06-06-08, 01:48 PM
Banned

Basic garbage. A rental for sure, but even then there are so many better movies out there than this.
Old 06-06-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was OK but I don't like it nearly enough to own it. There's some alright action and the story and acting is better than I expected. I'm actually somewhat hoping for a sequel since the ending kind of hints at one.
Old 06-06-08, 04:48 PM

I give Jumper a 9.2 out of 10. It was an excellent show, especially if you like X-Men or spiderman, if you do, you'll like this one also.
Old 06-06-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's good enough for what it is a
Old 06-06-08, 11:39 PM

Jumper is exactly what you'd think it would be.

It was entertaining enough, but I don't think I'd ever buy it.
Old 06-09-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by FusionX
there are so many better movies out there than this.
Not this year.
Old 06-09-08, 02:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Not this year.
I don't limit myself to current year movies, but even if I did, I'd never sit through Jumper again. I'm not a popcorn movie fan, especially Uwe Boll level stuff like Jumper. There is even a featurette on the Blu-ray dedicated to explaining why the movie turned out so poorly.
Old 06-09-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by FusionX
I don't limit myself to current year movies, but even if I did, I'd never sit through Jumper again. I'm not a popcorn movie fan, especially Uwe Boll level stuff like Jumper. There is even a featurette on the Blu-ray dedicated to explaining why the movie turned out so poorly.
Just because you don't like popcorn movies, I think it's unfair to place this on the same field as Uwe Boll's crap.

BTW, which featurette did they explain "why the movie turned out so poorly"? I know there was one that explained that this was supposed to be a franchise or trilogy, but I don't remember anyone saying that they were disappointed with the outcome or anything.
Old 06-09-08, 03:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
it was okay, but I really hated the spastic editing of some of the 'jumping' scenes - it also didn't help that the Uptown theatre received a shit-tastic print that was nearly devoid of color... I might rent it to see some the extras, but on the whole, this movie had potential but came across as an ultimate letdown.
Old 06-09-08, 03:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Just because you don't like popcorn movies, I think it's unfair to place this on the same field as Uwe Boll's crap.

BTW, which featurette did they explain "why the movie turned out so poorly"? I know there was one that explained that this was supposed to be a franchise or trilogy, but I don't remember anyone saying that they were disappointed with the outcome or anything.
Doug Liman's Jumper: Uncensored is a half hour thinly veiled excuse for why the movie didn't deliver. I'm not surprised people enjoyed this, but to me it was like watching an Uwe Boll Sci-Fi Original. The premise is decent and I wanted to like it, I was just shocked at how bad it was.
Old 06-11-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While this film was no classic, it was an entertaining 90 minutes and I don't regret watching it. I do wish there was more exploration of the Palladins, so perhaps a longer version being released would help.
Old 06-11-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is why I sometimes lament the fact that I don't rent. This is a film I'd like to see, but since I only buy I probably won't get a chance until it comes on HBO HD or something. I know there are plenty of free trials I could sign up for online, but I doubt I'd ever use it much.
Old 06-12-08, 09:11 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
sometimes bad movies can be really fun, ya know? with all the negative attention this has been getting it actually makes me want to see it. i mean i like Doug Liman from "Swingers" , "Go", "Bourne Identity" and i don't nearly mind Hayden after "Shattered Glass" and "Life As A House", so i would be in for a free rental which i have from BBV. as long as a movie doesn't take itself seriously, silly and preposterous can be a wonderful combination sometimes (it wasn't the case for IJ: TKofCS however).
Old 06-12-08, 12:12 PM
Banned

Jumper takes itself seriously, that's part of the problem.
Old 06-12-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
This is why I sometimes lament the fact that I don't rent. This is a film I'd like to see, but since I only buy I probably won't get a chance until it comes on HBO HD or something. I know there are plenty of free trials I could sign up for online, but I doubt I'd ever use it much.
So why don't you rent? I've realized that the RedBox at Albertsons or the one at Ralphs for $1 is a nice way to catch a movie you haven't seen.

I think Jumper's definitely worth a rental and I had a lot of fun with it.
Old 06-12-08, 07:15 PM

Loved the book. The movie was just...meh.
Rent it first!
Old 06-15-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I really liked the concept and what was introduced in the movie, but it totally felt like a prologue to inevitable sequels. If there were never any sequels I would consider the movie a pretty big failure for not giving a little more background on things.

I know I was never bored watching it, so that's something.
Old 06-15-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I actually really liked this flick, Great start, Loved the opening, him in Egypt telling about his day, Wish we got more of him enjoying the powers because the jumping is very cool and would be alot of fun. Action scenes were excellent but too few of them. I had alot of fun watching this movie. Wish it did better better at the box office and gave more back story.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.