Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Juno: Two-Disc Special Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I read Thomas Spurlin's DVD review of Juno: Two-Disc Special Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=32943 and...

Good review overall, but since I'm going to buy this tomorrow, I wanted to make sure about something.

In the review, it says "Juno comes in two different versions, a single-disc edition and this two-disc "Digital Copy Special Edition". In reality, the only differences between the two are that second disc with the extra copy and the alternate artwork with the slipcover. The slipcover does, however, have raised little orange tic-tacs. That's worth the money alone, right?"

But according to DVD Active, the 2-disc edition also includes 4 featurettes that the 1-disc does not.

- Way Beyond “Our” Maturity Level: Juno
- Honest To Blog! Creating Juno
- Diablo Cody Is Totally Boss
- Jason Reitman For Shizz

Anyone know if all of those are actually included on the 1-disc edition?
Old 04-15-08, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well according to Futureshop the 1 disc has all those featurettes, and the 2 disc is indeed just a digital copy. This changes things for me because like you I had assumed what was written at DVD active was correct, but it would appear not.
Old 04-15-08, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The 1-DVD edition screener that I have has those featurettes.
Old 04-15-08, 06:59 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts
i'm a little puzzled that with such a glowing review of the DVD and an increased appreciation towards it on 2nd helping, especially saying best comdey of year, great vid, aud, features that this one only got a "Recommended".
Old 04-15-08, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598
i'm a little puzzled that with such a glowing review of the DVD and an increased appreciation towards it on 2nd helping, especially saying best comdey of year, great vid, aud, features that this one only got a "Recommended".
The end of the review dubs it "Highly Recommended", so it was probably just a typo on Thomas' part.

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 04-15-08 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-15-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Edit: Was looking on another forum and there's still a question about this and found a link to the official Juno DVD:

http://www.juno-dvd.com/

If you look at the info for each, it does show those extra featurettes on the 2-disc. I think this is the same thing they did with Hitman. There are extra stuff on the 2-disc unrated release even though the only thing on the second disc of that was the digital copy. The first discs of each are not the same.

Guess I'll find out in a few hours when I go to pick it up.

Last edited by TheMovieman; 04-15-08 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-15-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Scott,

Originally Posted by Juno Review
Is Juno the best film of year? Maybe not, but it's probably the best comedy of the year. Filled with a warm satirical streak and a basketfull of fantastic performances, it's got to be the film I enjoyed the most this season. Ellen Page's acting chops get better with each performance she delivers, while Diablo Cody's name is now on the map as a writer to keep your eye out for in the future. Paired with solid technical merits and a load of extensive extras, the first disc is a very solid presentation. Assuming that the first disc is identical to the single-disc presentation, I'd say it's one that most anyone will be happy to purchase and comes exceedingly Highly Recommended - possibly collector's series level.

Whether the Two-Disc Digital Copy edition is worth your cash or not is completely up to you. All that's different is the slipcover and cover art, as well as that second disc dedicated to the digitally transferrable files. At the price difference, I'd say go for the single-disc edition while I give this Juno: Two-Disc Digital Copy Special Edition a pure Recommendation.
I'll have to stop by the store and check up on the single-disc edition of Juno to see if the special features are any different between the two. I was under the assumption that the double-disc edition was the exact same as the single-disc presentation, only with the digital copy disc as the second in the package. If they ARE the exact same, then the single-disc edition, of course, comes Highly Recommended, while the more expensive version with nothing more than the digital copies on disc 2 is merely Recommended.

Recap:

Vid + Audio + Extras + Great Film @ $15-18 for Single-Disc = Highly Recommended
Vid + Audio + Extras + Great Film + Digital Copies + Different Art @ $22-24 = Recommended.

To be continued.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 04-15-08 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-15-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Recap:

Vid + Audio + Extras + Great Film @ $15-18 for Single-Disc = Highly Recommended
Vid + Audio + Extras + Great Film + Digital Copies + Different Art @ $22-24 = Recommended.

To be continued.
UPDATE:

I've made a few edits to the review. After a trip to an in-store retailer to take a gander at the back cover on a lunch break, it looks like the four (4) featurettes mentioned by TheMovieman do NOT seem to be included on the single-disc presentation. I've changed my rating of this set to "Highly Recommended" on this basis.
Old 04-15-08, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Paddy963
Well according to Futureshop the 1 disc has all those featurettes, and the 2 disc is indeed just a digital copy. This changes things for me because like you I had assumed what was written at DVD active was correct, but it would appear not.
Well, I guess Futureshop lied to me because the 1 disc version doesn't have all the special features like they said it would. Guess I have to try and go do an exchange now.
Old 04-15-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

PS - The Target edition with the script is huge. Cody's script fits with the package similar to the Jaws: 30th Anniversary set Universal released a while back. The copies I saw did NOT come with the inner slipcover, but a box does encompass each of the pieces. The script is probably half the thickness of a standard DVD case and would NOT fit into the insert slots (for those considering a purchase as an insert).
Old 04-15-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bought it at Target for the script.

EDIT: Also, if anyone was wondering...

At Circuit City it comes with a shirt, as most of you probably know. The Shirt is the one Michael Cera wears in the show whilst jogging. It is not attached to the outside of the case, but instead comes inside a big box (the DVD itself is also in this box).

At Best Buy it comes with the iPod covers and from what I could tell they were included inside the case.

Last edited by kstublen; 04-15-08 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-15-08, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
The end of the review dubs it "Highly Recommended", so it was probably just a typo on Thomas' part.
actually, i think the review was editted bigtime bc i think originally this said 1-disc review. now, i am thoroughly confused and if it was drastically changed, i think a little irresponsible bc honestly, i bought the 1-disc based on this review thinking there was no exclusives to the 2-disc besides the digital copy. so confused...

and now that i do see there are exclusive extras on the 2-disc (even the little featurettes, which i love) i am kicking myself for getting 1-disc

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-15-08 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-15-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
actually, i think the review was editted bigtime bc i think originally this said 1-disc review.
The title of the review was "Juno: Two-Disc Special Edition" when it was first posted. That's why this thread is labeled that way -- the subject is based on when the review was first posted.
Old 04-15-08, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
The title of the review was "Juno: Two-Disc Special Edition" when it was first posted. That's why this thread is labeled that way -- the subject is based on when the review was first posted.
you know i don't know what i saw this morning at school. it was like 7am and i really read something completely different. i know the rating was only 'recommended', but i really thought i read that it was a 1-disc review and that the 2-disc comparisons were only added much later in the day after some store shop arounds. i guess i am totally wrong though. sorry.

edit: i might have also been thrown bc the pic is of the 1-disc.
Old 04-15-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

and now that i do see there are exclusive extras on the 2-disc (even the little featurettes, which i love) i am kicking myself for getting 1-disc
Well, I apologize for the confusion there, Scott. The edition I received was the two-disc edition without a separate single-disc for comparison's sake. It wasn't until I ventured into the wild that I was able to verify for certain that a few of the featurettes were exclusives. The *exclusives* tags were added then, but the review was comprehensively illustrating the two-disc set (as shown by the title) - the "level" of recommendation and a few change markers were added to remove further confusion. I sent an e-mail off to have the image changed on the review.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 04-15-08 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-16-08, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Well, I apologize for the confusion there, Scott. The edition I received was the two-disc edition without a separate single-disc for comparison's sake. It wasn't until I ventured into the wild that I was able to verify for certain that a few of the featurettes were exclusives. The *exclusives* tags were added then, but the review was comprehensively illustrating the two-disc set (as shown by the title) - the "level" of recommendation and a few change markers were added to remove further confusion. I sent an e-mail off to have the image changed on the review.
no problem gryf. as long as you compensate me for my rash 1-disc purchase, we'll be square
Old 04-16-08, 10:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Just an FYI, there are apparently at least 6 different store exclusives for this one, making our choice even more confusing.

Edit to correct: There are at least nine different store exclusives for Juno. I wonder if Xage is going to collect this one?

Last edited by Trevor; 04-16-08 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-16-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Just an FYI, there are apparently at least 6 different store exclusives for this one, making our choice even more confusing.

Edit to correct: There are at least nine different store exclusives for Juno. I wonder if Xage is going to collect this one?

Only if he can find the Kobe Bryant edition.
Old 04-18-08, 06:23 AM

could others who have the 2-disc tell me if the extra featurettes are truly worth it. how long do they total up to? thanks.