Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Batman & Mr. Freeze - SubZero / Batman: Mask of the Phantasm'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Batman & Mr. Freeze - SubZero / Batman: Mask of the Phantasm'

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read Thomas Spurlin's DVD review of Batman & Mr. Freeze - SubZero / Batman: Mask of the Phantasm at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=32614 and...

I don't know if they eventually reissued it or not, but the version i have of Phantasam is an anamorphic 1:85 dvd. Came in a keepcase i bought from walmart for 5 bucks. i also remeber reading that laserdisc versions of Subzero were also in widescreen.

and i do remeber seeing Phantasam in theaters too.
Old 03-11-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I don't know if they eventually reissued it or not, but the version i have of Phantasam is an anamorphic 1:85 dvd.
yeah, my MotP DVD is anamorphic and is one-sided as well. it doesn't have a flipside with a 1.33 presentation. it has a snapper case, so i *think* it's the original issue, but i'm not positive about that.
Old 03-12-08, 06:43 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All widescreen MotPs were anamorphic (mine's a flipper, by the way); later reissues were one-sided with either the widescreen or open matte full screen version.
Old 03-12-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I read Thomas Spurlin's DVD review of Batman & Mr. Freeze - SubZero / Batman: Mask of the Phantasm at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=32614 and...

I don't know if they eventually reissued it or not, but the version i have of Phantasam is an anamorphic 1:85 dvd. Came in a keepcase i bought from walmart for 5 bucks. i also remeber reading that laserdisc versions of Subzero were also in widescreen.

and i do remeber seeing Phantasam in theaters too.
Must have been that repressing in the keepcase David is referring to. Interesting - I could've sworn that the original edition was non-anamorphic. Then again, I did view that original snapper a while back using an older player which occasionally zoomed in on non-anamorphic DVDs automatically, so it very well could've been, and probably was, anamorphic at the time. I do remember the edition I viewed it with was a flipper, though. At any rate, this new DVD is fullscreen only.

As far as SubZero's OAR, I can't be certain.

A notation has been made, guys!

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 03-12-08 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-12-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Must have been that repressing in the keepcase David is referring to. Interesting - I could've sworn that the original edition was non-anamorphic. Then again, I did view that original snapper a while back using an older player which occasionally zoomed in on non-anamorphic DVDs automatically, so it very well could've been, and probably was, anamorphic at the time. I do remember the edition I viewed it with was a flipper, though. At any rate, this new DVD is fullscreen only.

As far as SubZero's OAR, I can't be certain.

A notation has been made, guys!
A few years back I tracked down the email for one of the folks that worked on Subzero and he replied with this:

If I recall correctly (and that's a big 'if'), our elements for Subzero
were delivered at 1:33 aspect ratio. That would mean that for the
widescreen laserdic release, mattes were used to bring it out to 1:66.

Of course, that's solely based on recalling that the final frames were
delivered at 2K, 1:33 resolution.
I'm guessing they matted the laserdisc to 1.66 for the widescreen snobs that made up most of the LD crowd at that time.
Old 03-12-08, 03:58 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could've sworn that the original edition was non-anamorphic.
I remember seeing a lot of reports saying it was going to be, so perhaps that's where the memory came from.

And I'm with Milo on SubZero's OAR. Weren't almost all of Warner's DC product made in 1.33:1 until only recently? (Crummy non-anamorphic Justice League excepted, of course...)
Old 03-12-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by David Cornelius
And I'm with Milo on SubZero's OAR. Weren't almost all of Warner's DC product made in 1.33:1 until only recently? (Crummy non-anamorphic Justice League excepted, of course...)
I imagined so. Since it was released DTV in 1998, still during the VHS peak, I assumed it was framed for the standard at the time. It didn't feel cropped during the viewing, either, so that helped the assumption along.
Old 03-12-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
I do remember the edition I viewed it with was a flipper, though. At any rate, this new DVD is fullscreen only.
oops! i checked the disc tonight and mine is actually a flipper. my memory was playing tricks on me.