Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Ultimate Gift'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read David Cornelius's DVD review of The Ultimate Gift at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29952 and...

Of course it's his opinion, but I thought the movie was great. Not only was it heart-renching and made me cry, but it did teach a lesson that Mr. David Cornelius obviously missed. The point wasn't that you'd make a lot of money, it was recognizing that you could do things on your own, and earn your keep. Yes, he did win money in the end, but it was only after he experienced life and understood the meaning of it. The addition of the young dying girl in the storyline made it even better. She wasn't an average girl, I agree. But there are children out there that are smart enough to say things that she said. Kids aren't all stupid you know. Some children can comprehend that type of thing. Especially when they are dying. That makes them more acknowledgable of the meaning of life. I thought this movie was terrific. Of course, it's my opinion. Mr. David Cornelius has a right to his opinion, but don't take our word for it. Get it yourself and see how you like it. I recommend it to anyone who has a heart.
Old 04-30-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I recently saw this and am more inclinded to agree with Singerstar than the reviewer.

However, something caught me as I was thinking about this a few days after viewing. The entire premise/route of the film is false. He honestly fudged the friend piece even though it ended up proving to be true. However, what would have happened if his GF or somebody else came with him to the meeting or the put him up for a month? Maybe that's the point that if any of his current batch of friends were "real", then he never would have reached the ultimate gift. However, that message is more about Red's (or the groups) judgement of his friends, rather than of Jason himself. Rather sad if you think about it.

Other than that, the one part that annoyed me the most was perhaps the pacing was too fast. At the beginning, and to an extent the end, I felt like Jason had matured and learned some lessons. However, the one incident that I would have expected to have the most consequences - the captivity by drug lords - didn't.

I really expected that he would have returned from that experience hardened and more determined, but rather I feel like we received more of the same.