Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Doc Martin: Series 1'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-07, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Nick Lyons's DVD review of Doc Martin: Series 1 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29727 and...
I've not even seen the show yet I'm kind of miffed about the attitude in the review. I suprised that you couldn't find more to say about it after I've read nothing but praise elsewhere... but fair enough, we all have different taste I guess.

I guess the thing that bugged me most was the comment about it being a rip-off of Northern Exposure. This is TV, where nearly every show borrows from shows that went before. You live in a land that borrows and copies British TV all the time so why pick on this show.
Old 08-10-07, 01:15 PM

Hello. This is Nick Lyons. Thank you for your comments.

I know that TV shows are always borrowing from each other, but I expect more out of a show. All of the great shows that I love stand out because they offer something new. Doc simply had nothing new to offer. It was a "been there, done that" type of show. It's not bad by any means, but it needed more likeable characters and a fresh point of view.
Old 08-13-07, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I totally disagree. This show is brilliant from start to finish. Hilarious and quirky definately easily come to mind. I've not seen anything even remotely like Doc Martin!

I am a long time fan of British telly and the one constant is that they are all head and shoulders above the bar as it relates to writing, casting and execution. I have seen bad British TV an Doc Martin is not it!

I'm curious to find out what "stand out shows" you like becasue this is clearly a stand out, above the fray, funny and tremendously watchable series. I am anxiously awaiting the release of S3 because S2 was just as funny if not funnier than S1.

Last edited by buckee1; 08-13-07 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-13-07, 01:34 PM

To give you an idea of which British shows I like, here's a few of my favs:
Doctor Who, The IT Crowd, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Man To Man With Dean Learner, Mr. Bean, The Prisoner, Torchwood, Robin Hood, Life on Mars, New Statesman, Coupling and Gerry Anderson shows such as Thunderbirds.

A lot of these sadly are not on DVD in the US as of now. I'm hoping that will change as I'd love for other DVD fans to experience these shows.
Old 08-13-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by whovian43
To give you an idea of which British shows I like, here's a few of my favs:
Doctor Who, The IT Crowd, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Man To Man With Dean Learner, Mr. Bean, The Prisoner, Torchwood, Robin Hood, Life on Mars, New Statesman, Coupling and Gerry Anderson shows such as Thunderbirds.

A lot of these sadly are not on DVD in the US as of now. I'm hoping that will change as I'd love for other DVD fans to experience these shows.
Well, you've got great taste in Brit TV so I can't fault you there!

All of Gerry Anderson's series from Supercar to Space 1999 are available in R1. The animated Captain Scarlet however is not and it is clearly one of his better series. Just got all of Torchwood and am enjoying S1. It's enjoyable and good but not great. I actually prefer Primeval to Torchwood. Life On Mars is Outrageously funny and an excellent show to boot. Coupling, cute but not enough to catch me with repeat viewings. Mr. Bean is an aquired taste to be sure and The Prisoner is just classic TV, period. Sorry you didn't enjoy Doc Martin, it seems like it would fit in well with the other flavors of your collection.
Old 08-13-07, 03:45 PM

I just reviewed another Clunes series called WILLIAM AND MARY which I did like. If you haven't seen that one it's worth a watch.
Old 08-15-07, 08:45 AM

Though I respect your opinion, Nick, I couldn't disagree more about Doc Martin, although it did take the entirety of the first episode before I felt "hooked."

I really like the show, the characters and the actors.

Nick: did you ever see the "alternative" version of the character? Before the TV series, there was the film Saving Grace and two made-for-TV prequels featuring a different take on the character, who was much more sympathetic, smoked dope and also dealt with bizarre Cornish life. Saving Grace is available everywhere, though Martin is pretty much just a supporting character in that. The two TV movies (Doc Martin and Doc Martin and the Legend of the Cloutie) were, until last year, available on DVD in Australia. I almost like the original interpretation of the character better!

____

So, production stills are the only extras? At least we had the bloopers/outtakes reel on the original R2 set. So, for those of us who are "region-free", the R2 version is the clear winner, here!

Last edited by mythmaker18; 08-15-07 at 12:17 PM. Reason: adding additional info
Old 08-15-07, 03:38 PM

I have not seen the 2 films.

Production stills are the only extras.