Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Evil Behind You'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Scott Weinberg's DVD review of Evil Behind You at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=25252 and...

If you wonder why a Christian thriller would get a bad review, read this appreviated quote from Scott.

"I think religious history is not much more than a well-admired collection of allegories, myths and folk tales. Disdain me if you must, but in my book, God, Jesus, Allah, Zeus and Ra are pretty much all the same guy. Societies create new "gods" as the collective needs them. The idea of all life on Earth springing from one lucky roll of the biological dice is simply too depressing a thought for most people to bear, which is why religion is so popular: it gives people a guide-book to read and a destination to shoot for, and if that's what it takes to get people through the day, then I'm all for it.

But mostly I think of organized religion as something that's caused not much more than hatred, death and suffering throughout the entire history of mankind."

Enough said. The movie is great.
Old 05-11-07, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Great"? Hardly...

Your abbreviated quote attributed to Scott proves nothing. He is not attacking specifically Christians so there's no real parallel here to revewing a self-labeled "Christian" horror movie and the quote.

You claim this movie was "great". Really? What defense do you offer to counter Scott's review instead of a quote attacking his views on religion? He was not reviewing the Chrisitan religion but a MOVIE.

I don't always agree with Scott, but in this case he couldn't be more correct. "Evil Behind You" is a horrendously acted, written and directed movie... Christian or not. It's just painful to sit through. There is not one redeeming quality about it. Not one. I have seen better acting in junior high productions of Anything Goes and I doubt if Jim Carroll has enough talent to comptently direct traffic.

The makers of this drivel labeled it a "Christian horror" movie to obviously tap into a market where zealots will cling to and defend anything labeled "Christian" no matter how good or how bad. In that respect, it was the only smart thing executed in "Evil Behind You". Were it not labeled "suitable for Christians" would YOU have even seen it? Have you ever seen a REAL horror movie, ie: one NOT labeled "suitable for Christians"?

"Evil Behind You" is one of the most embarassing low budget horrorendous movies to come out in years. Your defending it as "great" is scarier than anything else in the actual film. And it amazes me time after time again how "Christians" never defend their own positions with facts or arguments but rather try to attack and undermine those whose opinions are different. Good luck trying to dig up some obscure quotes from ME on religion, which means you'd actually have to say something about the MOVIE other than "it was great".