Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Carousel'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-06, 11:25 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of Carousel at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24907 and...

I thank you for your wonderful review but here is what the consumer really wants to know:
1. Whether this version is anamorphic. If so, it would be the first edition of this classic in anamorphic format, as unbelievable as it seems.
2. Whether the «Liliom» (1934) transfer is a marked improvement on the Kino video version.

These elements are also being discussed in the «Rodgers and Hammerstein remasters from fox 11.07.06» thread ( http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=451721 ).

Thank you.
Old 11-10-06, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't seen the Fox release of "Liliom", but I'm sure if you took the disc, tied it to the back of your truck and draged it for several miles,....and then put what's left over in the kitty litter box,....I still think that it would be a better release than Kino.
Old 11-10-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you for letting me know what you want in the review. Yes, the film IS an anamorphic print -- and it looks startlingly clear, and although I haven't seen the copy of the Kino Video Liliom print, this transfer is particularly clean for such an old title.

I hope that helps, and I'll adjust the review. Again, thanks for the feedback -- I want these reviews to give you the information YOU want.

Paul Mavis

Last edited by Paul Mavis; 11-10-06 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-10-06, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Mavis
Thank you for letting me know what you want in the review. Yes, the film IS an anamorphic print -- and it looks startlingly clear, and although I haven't seen the copy of the Kino Video print, this transfer is particularly clean for such an old title.

I hope that helps, and I'll adjust the review. Again, thanks for the feedback -- I want these reviews to give you the information YOU want.

Paul Mavis
Paul,

Thanks for the update on Liliom. If Fox used the same print they did for the German R2, it should be significantly better than the terrible Kino release. I imagine, however, that there are a number of people particularly interested in the Liliom film, since it was directed by the great Fritz Lang. (In fact, I'm sure I'm not the only person in America who's going to buy this 2-disc set simply to get it.) So you might be doing a lot of people a big, big favor if you could provide one or two quick screencaps from Liliom -- perhaps the main title and some other scene of your choosing. Is that too much to ask? Or is it more trouble than it's worth? (Having worked for an Internet company -- years ago, though -- I know that sometimes image additions can be a bit of a head-ache.) By the way, I very much appreciate your open attitude toward feedback. Hope nobody takes too much advantage of it.
Old 11-10-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ambassador
Paul,

Thanks for the update on Liliom. If Fox used the same print they did for the German R2, it should be significantly better than the terrible Kino release. I imagine, however, that there are a number of people particularly interested in the Liliom film, since it was directed by the great Fritz Lang. (In fact, I'm sure I'm not the only person in America who's going to buy this 2-disc set simply to get it.) So you might be doing a lot of people a big, big favor if you could provide one or two quick screencaps from Liliom -- perhaps the main title and some other scene of your choosing. Is that too much to ask? Or is it more trouble than it's worth? (Having worked for an Internet company -- years ago, though -- I know that sometimes image additions can be a bit of a head-ache.) By the way, I very much appreciate your open attitude toward feedback. Hope nobody takes too much advantage of it.
Good idea, and not too much trouble at all! I'll include some tonight.

I like to hear what people have to say; it's half the fun of writing!

Paul

P.S. I just added the screen catpures -- take a look and let me know what you think!

Last edited by Paul Mavis; 11-10-06 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-11-06, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Mavis
Good idea, and not too much trouble at all! I'll include some tonight.

I like to hear what people have to say; it's half the fun of writing!

Paul

P.S. I just added the screen catpures -- take a look and let me know what you think!
Many, many thanks, Paul. Looks great! (For anyone who's interested, here is the link to DVD Beaver's review of the Kino edition. The superiority of the screencaps from the two-disc set is immediately apparent!)

Looks like I'll be picking this up in the DDD sale.
Old 05-07-08, 08:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

"Carousel"

Great review of "Carousel", and yes, the DVD is also great. Just a small correction, though. 20th Century Fox did not make the film version of "Oklahoma!" "Oklahoma" was an independent production which was distributed in Todd-AO by R-K-O. It was one of the last films they were involved with. The Cinemascope version of "Oklahoma!", with the same cast, crew, script, set designs, costumes, etc., as the Todd-AO version was released by 20th Century-Fox. But they had nothing to do with the actual production of the film. Fox had already, however, produced the 1945 "State Fair", another Rodgers and Hammerstein musical.

Last edited by AlbertDVD; 05-07-08 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Just to correct a phrase
Old 05-08-08, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts
Here is an odd Fact.

Gordon MacRae perform "Carousel" and "Oklahoma" on his radio show
"The RailRoad Hour" a few years before those movies came out.
He also did "State Fair".
Its too bad that "Oklahoma" is on the missing list.
But the other two musicals are available for your listening pleasure.