Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read Ian Jane's DVD review of Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23847 and...

just wanted to state that Temple of Doom is the middle film in the indiana jones trilogy not Last Crusade
Old 09-15-06, 10:45 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh snap! Thanks for catching that.
Old 09-15-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
Reviewer opened thread sweating bullets, but now breathes a sigh of relief realizing he hasn't been verbally assaulted by a Star Wars zealot for mispelling Chewbacca in his review.
Old 09-16-06, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no problem
Old 09-16-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
[unnecessary nitpicking]But wasn't Temple of Doom set before Raiders? [/unnecessary nitpicking]
Old 09-17-06, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. The story of Temple takes place before Raiders, so even though it was released second, it is actually a prequel.

Back on topic- I watched the Original Version of Empire today. And it's just like I remember it as a kid. I loved it. Flaws included, it's perfect.
Old 09-17-06, 10:11 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Thames
Flaws included, it's perfect.
You realize, of course, that's impossible, yes?
Old 09-18-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
[unnecessary nitpicking]But wasn't Temple of Doom set before Raiders? [/unnecessary nitpicking]
Even using that thought process, Last Crusade would still be the final film in the series.
Old 09-18-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Good review, but one assessment I don't agree with is the statement that "all signs point to an upgrade down the road." What signs? This is George Lucas we're talking about and his contempt for the original versions of the Original Trilogy Star Wars movies is infamous. So I think this release is really just to kill off the pirate market of DVD versions of the original OT because, even non-anamorphic, this release still looks better than the pirate versions and is preferable to all of those. And hence I think this will be it for releases of this version of the movies because Lucas hates it so much, so he'll never release it again in any format (but I do hope I am wrong on that opinion).

-
Old 09-18-06, 01:31 PM

I don't see any "upgrade" signs either. This was posted on theforce.net. Check out the next to the last line-

I wanted you to know how much we appreciate the passion and enthusiasm you have for Star Wars, and thank you for sharing your concerns about our upcoming DVD release.

The DVDs being released in September will contain two versions of Star Wars: Episodes IV, V and VI – the Special Editions (which represent George’s vision of the movies) and the first versions, which will be included as bonus material. We hoped that releasing those “original” movies on a bonus disc would be a way to have some additional fun with the debut of the movies as individual DVDs. We certainly did not want it to become a source of concern or frustration for any of our fans.

As you may know, an enormous amount of effort was put into digitally restoring the negatives for the Special Editions. In one scene alone, nearly 1 million pieces of dirt had to be removed, and the Special Editions were created through a frame-by-frame digital restoration. The negatives of the movies were permanently altered for the creation of the Special Editions, and existing prints of the first versions are in poor condition.

So many fans have requested the original movies, we wanted to find a way to bring them to you. But since these movies do not represent George's artistic vision, we could not put the extraordinary time and resources into this project as we did with the Special Editions. The 1993 Laserdisc masters represented the best source for providing the original versions as DVD bonus material. Although these are non-anamorphic versions, they do preserve the original widescreen composition of the movies.

We want you to be aware that we have no plans – now or in the future – to restore the earlier versions.

We hope you will understand our decision and, again, want to let you know how much we appreciate your interest and enthusiasm.

Sincerely,
Lynne Hale
[email protected]
Old 09-19-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those screens of the original versions look terrible, there's no way I'm buying these now. Thanks for the review.