Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Request for Come See the Paradise/Rabbit in the Moon

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've searched at DVD talk & DVD Basen but can't find a single review of Alan Parker's movie "Come See the Paradise" which came out in June, 2006. It's a good attempt to put a human face on the internment of Japanese-Americans in camps during WWII. Notable however, is the flip side which has Emiko Omori's full length personal documentary, "Rabbit in the Moon," which is superb! It includes interviews with Japanese-Americans who refused to cooperate with the loss of all their property and civil and personal rights. What happened to the people who said no to the government?
Great movie! How about a review?

Benshi
Old 08-24-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
It doesn't appear that any review copies were ever sent to DVD Talk, but I'd be very happy to review it if the studio wants to send us a screener....
Old 08-27-06, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not surprised at the absence of review copies. From the number of reviews of the original film(not the DVD) I believe that this film got only a limited release originally. Roger Ebert gave it 3 out of 4 stars. Hollywood tends not to make movies where characters of Asian ancestry are not action stars, martial artists, super villains, or comic relief. IF a film not falling into these categories is made it tends to 'need' a big star-Dennis Quaid? Carol Baker?(Bridge to the Sun) The documentary on the flip side, "Rabbit in the Moon", is superb. With photographs, home movies and interviews, Emiko Omori gives personal insight into what happened.

Last edited by Benshi; 08-27-06 at 07:48 PM.