Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Plague'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-06, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Scott Weinberg's DVD review of The Plague at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23204 and...

I read Scott Weinberg's DVD review of The Plague at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23204 and...

...I happened to have had the opportunity to watch the directors cut of "The Plague". It was a bootleg copy with unmixed sound and of poor quality. It was an entirely DIFFERENT movie!!! I was like, "What's that about?". The director/writer's version was really scary and made a whole lot more sense. It was a bit longer and the characters were so much more enjoyable. I found the theatrical release of this film just killed off anything original about the movie. It is obviously a low budget flick, but that's no excuse for really bad editing, unoriginal choices (like glowing eyes on zombies...not in the director's cut THANK GOD!) and no character development. Seriously, if you ever get a chance to see the director's cut, see it. I personally think that film students should see both versions so that they can better realize the impact that the right music and the right edits and perfect timing have on horror movies...and and AND just as a slew of unsuspecting townspersons can be wiped out over night by their own zombie children, the theatrical release demonstrates how both humor and suspense can fall victim to uninspired editing.

It is clear to me now that the film began as someone's "baby" and it is a gruesome story of how the parent producers have turned zombie murderer on the film and it's original vision cutting Dee Wallace's and the rest of the interesting character scenes OUT (including ALL of the scary parts)--leaving a typical stupid zombie movie we have already seen. Granted we loved our stupid zombie movie, but we HAVE seen it.
Old 08-28-06, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try to keep in mind readers...

that many posts on Websites like these draw people who have actually worked on the film, or friends of people who have worked on the film. Often times they make things up to sway readers and viewers of up coming films. Sometimes they're good comments and sometimes bad. I have had the opportunity of seeing both versions of this film. Neither one is perfect. But I can say that there are no GLOWING EYES present in either versions. This leads me to believe that the previous post was made by someone who hasn't actually seen the version coming to DVD September 5th. Again, just something to keep in mind.