Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Are Superbit DVDs any better?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just wondering if Superbit DVDs are any better than regular DVD versions of the film. I'm not upgrading to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray yet, so I was considering checking out some Superbit DVDs.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-21-06, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Superbit is a Sony marketing brand. Generally, Sony makes really mediocre DVDs. They then reissue them in the quality they should have had the first time around and call it "Superbit".

So, on the one hand, yes Superbit discs are usually better than the non-Superbit edition of the same movie. But on the other hand, no Superbit discs are not anything special in comparison to discs from other studios. Studios like Warner and New Line routinely put out discs that are as good or better than "Superbit" quality without the fancy marketing label.
Old 08-21-06, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the input. Just wondering if I should upgrade, but sounds like just a marketing tool.
Old 08-21-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overpar
Thanks for the input. Just wondering if I should upgrade, but sounds like just a marketing tool.
Upgrade which title? Some SBs are absolutely worth the upgrade... Some are not. Ask if you're curious, I'm sure someone around here can tell you if it's worth your time and effort.
Old 08-21-06, 07:35 PM

If you have a TV smaller then 40 inch I doubt you’ll notice the difference. The difference might be subtle but with DTS included in all the Superbit titles some are worth it. Here are some Superbit movies which I think is worth replacing over the standard edition.

Spiderman 1, 2
The Patriot
Gattaca
Fifth Element
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Desperado
Dracula
Old 08-21-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Agreed that the Spider-Man and Gattaca Superbits are completely worth it, especially since it's possible to pick up the supplemental discs used with the regular release DVDs for rather inexpensive. Another thing you might want to keep your eyes on are the Leon: The Professional and Fifth Element Ultimate Editions, which are both "Superbit" releases. The video/audio on FE is outstanding. The Leon UE is terrific too, minus a few flaws. Still a tremendous transfer.

As stated, it's a pseudo-marketing ploy that's kind of hit and miss with some flicks and won't REALLY matter unless you've got a slightly larger set (over 27"). DTS is undoubtedly a plus too, if you can support the track.

Oh, and unless it's changed, the only way to get Quick and the Dead in an anamorphic release on it's own (outside of the Bite the Bullet pack) is with the Superbit.
Old 08-22-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got a Toshiba 52" DLP TV and Onkyo 6.1 DD and DTS and a Samsung upconvert DVD player. I would like to check out that Leon: The Professional DVD. I haven't seen that movie yet, but it looks like I would like it. I was considering Resident Evil and Underworld Superbits. I'm not a big fan of the Spiderman movies or the other ones that were listed previously. I DO love DVDs that come with a DTS track! It always seems to sound crisper and better mixed than the DD track. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 08-23-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Superbit is a Sony marketing brand. Generally, Sony makes really mediocre DVDs. They then reissue them in the quality they should have had the first time around and call it "Superbit".
And that's the best case scenario. Don't even get me started on the Heavy Metal Superbit. I sure am glad Sony got rid of all those really good special features so we could get the "optimal video quality"!
Old 08-23-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if Sony will eventually start selling Superbit Blu-Ray DVDs?
Old 08-24-06, 01:28 AM

It's funny I pop in a Superbit like Air Force One, Vampires or Dracula and the picture quality is very good...but then I get the Blockbuster rental, 'She's the Man,' and the video quality blew the others away...great vibrant colors and a very detailed picture...who can tell what will look good? I have a '60 Sony LCD.
Old 08-24-06, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by thursdaynighter
It's funny I pop in a Superbit like Air Force One, Vampires or Dracula and the picture quality is very good...but then I get the Blockbuster rental, 'She's the Man,' and the video quality blew the others away...great vibrant colors and a very detailed picture...who can tell what will look good? I have a '60 Sony LCD.
That's partly because the transfers for those Superbits are about 9 years older than the new transfer for STM. If it had a digital intermediate, it may have even gotten a high-quality digital transfer before it was released to theaters. Differences in styles and film stocks can also affect perceived quality.
Old 08-25-06, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Lawrence of Arabia
Old 01-24-09, 09:47 PM

Re: Are Superbit DVDs any better?

does anyone have "Air Force One" ????

its 4 bucks at Frys and im thinking about getting it
Old 02-01-09, 09:29 AM

I found the Superbit of Panic Room pretty good but really the big decision with Superbit is can you risk losing the special features for a little better quality. For example Spider-Man 1/2 regular DVDs had a whole second disc of some pretty nice features. The Superbit had better quality but could you really give up all the features. It's more of what you want.
Old 02-01-09, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by lovgun7
does anyone have "Air Force One" ????

its 4 bucks at Frys and im thinking about getting it
The Superbit version? I like the soundtrack of Air Force One, I have the Superbit version. Got it for $4 used.
Old 02-05-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I like The Mask of Zorro Superbit DVD for its picture quality. And it also had the bonus disc from the SE version so the only supplement missing was the director's commentary (not sure how good that one is and if it's missed).