Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

King of Queens series a good buy?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-10-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed King of Queens seaons are $19.99 for 1-4 in the next flyer, according to Speedy's wonderful preview posts. I've seen a few episodes, maybe 3 full episodes, but no idea which seaons or anything. I like Kevin James, but not sure I can handle so much Leah Remini or Jerry Stiller. Leah is ok, but in the few episodes I saw she seemed to whine a little. With Jerry, he's ok but I'm not a huge fan. I liked TGIF shows, like Family Matter, Full House, Step by Step, and not a huge fan of current family 1/2 hour sitcomes. Primetime shows I like are Lost and House, neither really sitcoms. I saw the reviews of recommended and higly recommended, but I'd also like other viewers' opinions on whether these are good blind buys, especially at $19.99 price point.
Old 08-10-06, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GradVT06
and not a huge fan of current family 1/2 hour sitcomes. Primetime shows I like are Lost and House, neither really sitcoms.
If that is true then I honestly believe you will be annoyed by King of Queens. I know I am. It's a very typical, formulaic, mindless sitcom. In short, it's stupid.
Old 08-10-06, 10:50 PM

if you like full house and step by step then this show may not be for you. Especially since you said you can't take much of Leah Remini and Jerry Stiller. Me personally, i love the show. But there isn't a "moral" at the end of the show like the TGIF shows. Just every day comedy. can't wait for the next season to be released on dvd.
Old 08-10-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is one of those shows where I like everyone involved. I was already a huge James and Stiller fan, but the series warmed me up to Remini. It's lost a lot of its steam over the last couple seasons, but the first four or five are definitely worth a look.

I wouldn't call it mindless, either. Thanks to James, Stiller and members of the supporting cast, some of the plots, jokes and episodes have been downright comedic gold.
Old 08-11-06, 08:27 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The show would be 10,000 times better if they axed the painfully annoying and unfunny Stiller character; even with that, though, the show has run long past its welcome. It has lots of laughs, to be sure, though--Kevin James knows his stuff; I really like the show overall, but it's run itself dry in recent years and is just going through the motions. Collecting maybe the first three seasons or so might not be a bad thing, but for the long haul, this show can't compete with modern classics like FRIENDS and EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND.
Old 08-12-06, 11:52 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

My wife and I both love the show. It's just a shame that the repeats get shown at 11pm at night.

Judging by your thoughts on the show and having only seen 3 episodes I would hold off on it if I were yu so that you don't feel like you have watsde your money. Just catch the reruns every night
Old 08-12-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 179 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDMagic
Just catch the reruns every night
This is what I would say -- watch a few more reruns. I don't know how it is in your area, but KoQ plays just about every day on more than one channel. Blind buying a series you're iffy on makes sense if its no longer being shown. But with KoQ, just watch more of it and see for yourself.

I watched it, at least the earlier seasons. I think its ok, though I like Stiller and Remini, and other supporting characters like Holly and Deacon. It's typical sitcom, usually veering away from sentimentality. It can have a cynical mean streak, so if you don't like that in your comedies the show may turn you off. I haven't liked the later seasons as much (though I still tolerate them). To me, the Carrie character (who's always had an edge) has gotten more and more unlikable. And I can certainly understand how Arthur can just rub people the wrong way.
Old 08-12-06, 03:49 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

On a side note I wouldn't say no to Leah Remini
Old 08-12-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
The show would be 10,000 times better if they axed the painfully annoying and unfunny Stiller character; even with that, though, the show has run long past its welcome. It has lots of laughs, to be sure, though--Kevin James knows his stuff; I really like the show overall, but it's run itself dry in recent years and is just going through the motions. Collecting maybe the first three seasons or so might not be a bad thing, but for the long haul, this show can't compete with modern classics like FRIENDS and EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND.
This raises an interesting point. If you thought Friends and its hit you over the head "this is where you're supposed to laugh" formula was good, then you may not like vintage King of Queens.
Old 08-13-06, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the responses folks. I will definitely just catch episodes whenever they are on reruns because I'm usually not home or doing something else. It just doesn't sound like something worth buying to me but maybe something I enjoy watching on TV.