Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is The Wire a worthy blind purchase?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Believe it or not, I have HBO and have never seen this show. I know the retail price for this show is about 100 bucks a piece. I saw that Season 1 and 2 are on sale at Circuit City for 43 bucks a piece and Season 3 is about 63 bucks. So do you guys think spending over 160 bucks for all 3 seasons in worth it? What is this show comparable to? Would saying it's a grittier version of The Shield be a fair comparison?
Old 08-08-06, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a great show, but I would not think it's a show that would warrant repeat viewings. You definitely would need to start with Season 1. Are you a Netflix member? It is pretty gritty, the f-bombs flow like bullets.
Old 08-08-06, 08:44 AM

I love this series but once you watch it that's about it. You may be better off watching the 1st season on demand. (if you have comcast) and see if you like it. It's basically about drug dealers and the police using wire taps to catch them. (hince the title The wire) I like the show and will be picking up season three today but i agree that it is a little pricey indeed.
Old 08-08-06, 08:52 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
I have seasons 1 and 2 and do enjoy rewatching them. I think it's one of the best things on TV but, as has been noted, it's a little pricey and not for everyone. Start with season one and see what you think.
Old 08-08-06, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a tough call...not because of the quality of the show (it's fantastic...if you like The Shield or Homicide, you'll love The Wire)...but it IS one long extended story and the rewatchability factor may be lower sets broken up into shorter story arcs. Still, it only took one episode to get my wife and me hooked and it was a blind buy for us that turned out to be a very pleasant surprise...not at all what we expected. The storyline keeps drawing you in deeper and deeper with each episode and immerses you into all sides of the story...the cops, the politicians, the criminals...similar to Deadwood.
As others have mentioned, start with Season 1 (we think it's the best so far, probably because the gradual assembling of the team is one of the best stories we've ever seen in a cop drams). Season 2 was quite a bit different with the story taking place largely among the docks, while Season 3 returned to the main story of the drug trade around the 'hood). If you're unsure, try Season 1 (or rent the first disc) and see what you think. Season 1 & 2 have been turning up for around $25 at local used outlets in near-perfect condition, so you might want to wait a bit until you find it at a lower price. Whether you buy the sets or not, you really ought to find a way to see them if you're a fan of these kinds of dramas. The biggest difference in The Shield & The Wire is the tone (cops really are the good guys in this one) and, of course, the more explicit language, nudity, and violence (although not by much LOL).
Old 08-08-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some goof on the review staff keeps calling it "the best show on TV", but I don't know if I'd trust that.

I do disagree about rewatchability, though. There is a lot of depth and symbolism beneath the surface with this show, and I've found watching the seasons multiple times to be an incredibly rewarding experience.

I'm not sure how to compare it with The Shield other than to note that these are arguably the top 2 shows on the air right now. Whereas The Shield is a little over-the-top on grit and wild plots (part of its charm), The Wire is more grounded in reality and revels in a deliberate fascination with every last detail of an investigation. Another difference is that The Wire is every bit as much about the "bad guys" as the "good guys". I'm not sure liking one means you will like the other, but I'd risk it.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 08-08-06 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-08-06, 01:43 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Some goof on the review staff keeps calling it "the best show on TV", but I don't know if I'd trust that.
I hate that guy

The show is great. I don't think you can really compare it to The Shield. The Shield gives you the viewpoint of the police for the most part and a little bit of behind the scenes politics. The Wire gives you the cops, the criminals, the junkies, and some of the politics. das is right that the The Wire is more based in reality.

Once you get to the middle of each season you'll have the unstoppable urge to wach 4 or 5 episodes in a row. It's worth owning just for the scene with McNulty and Bunk going over a crime scene again and the only dialouge for about 3 minutes is "fuck" over and over
Old 08-08-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
The only thing I want to add is to say that, unlike the first few posters, I find the show VERY rewatchable.
Old 08-08-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
In all honesty, I watched the first few discs of S1 years ago and couldn't finish. I suppose I simply couldn't relate to any of the characters. It was a good show, as I recall, but just not for me. Funny, since I'm a huge Shield, 24, Sopranos etc. fan. Also, I dig Carnivale...so go figure.
Old 08-08-06, 04:57 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
The only thing I want to add is to say that, unlike the first few posters, I find the show VERY rewatchable.
Yep, as I said above, I've rewatched seasons 1 and 2 a few times; season 2 is up next time I have a free weekend. It's actually more addictive with successive watchings (for me anyway) since you can see the turning points and the intricate plotting even more clearly.
Old 08-08-06, 05:41 PM

I had been hesitant to buy the show originally because of the prices but since the prices dropped on seasons 1 and 2, I went for it. I cannot believe how I could have missed a show this great for so long.

Just picked up season 3 and can't wait to plow through it.
Old 08-12-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do disagree about rewatchability, though. There is a lot of depth and symbolism beneath the surface with this show, and I've found watching the seasons multiple times to be an incredibly rewarding experience.
I agree. I have not seen season 3 yet (just got the dvds) but I have rewatched season 1 and 2 several times and have found them highly rewatchable.

I just a few days ago have subscribed to HBO for the first time in my life just so I could watch season 4 of The Wire as the episodes air for the first time. If that's not an endorsement for the show, I don't know what is.
Old 08-14-06, 02:18 PM

I'd say it is the best crime drama / cop shows I've seen.
Definitely DO watch it, although I am not convinced of the rewatchability.
Old 08-14-06, 03:07 PM

The realism and debt on this show is amazing. I find myself becoming much more devoted to this show, because of its long story arcs, it is much more like great piece of literature with layers upon layers of debt.

I am also fond of the even handed approach given to both the motivations of both sides of the law.

As for the rewatchabilty debate, this show is easily one of the most complex narratives on TV, rewatching any episode and season is likely to only add enjoyment and understand of the show's many themes.

Can't wait for next season (Sept. 10) this year's theme is Education.
Old 08-14-06, 09:45 PM

IMO this is the worst show made by HBO that is airing.
Old 08-14-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LordofWar
IMO this is the worst show made by HBO that is airing.
Nothing wrong with having a contrary opinion (I'm assuming you're not trying to be sarcastic or something) - but, dude, if you're gonna come in and say something so contrary to what everyone else is saying, at least back it up with some reasons why. Otherwise, you just come across as a jackass threadcrapper.

On another note, fans of the Wire should make sure they watch The Corner. It was a 6-hour HBO miniseries from Wire creators David Simon and Ed Burns. It's actually very similar to Wire in setting, execution, and of course, quality.
Old 08-14-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
For that price, definitely pick up the first season and then go from there. It is to me, without a doubt, the best show on television. I find it very rewatchable.
Old 08-14-06, 10:24 PM

When I say its the worst show airing on HBO I dont mean its bad. Its just there are better shows on the channel. Its just a taste. If you want to see a show full of corrupt cops, drugs and other idiots making money illegaly(I guess its considered legal on the show) then this is the show for you. Its just not my type. Some im sure will say " you watch the sopranos though" yea I do but thats different.
Old 08-14-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So you're saying that you don't have a problem with the actual quality of the show, but instead, with the immorality/illegalities portrayed on the show?
Old 08-14-06, 10:39 PM

pretty much. Im just tired of shows of its nature. There are to many. Be nice to see a cop show not focused on drugs but on other illegalities.
Old 08-15-06, 05:36 AM

Yeah something much more original & fresh ... like Forensic Investigation. HA HA
Old 08-15-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by LordofWar
pretty much. Im just tired of shows of its nature. There are to many. Be nice to see a cop show not focused on drugs but on other illegalities.
You mean like CSI, CSI:Miami, CS:New York, Law and Order, Law and Order: SVU, Law and Order: CI, Without a Trace, Cold Case, Bones, and Criminal Minds?
Old 08-15-06, 07:24 PM

Yea like those.
Old 08-20-06, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm not sure how to compare it with The Shield other than to note that these are arguably the top 2 shows on the air right now. Whereas The Shield is a little over-the-top on grit and wild plots (part of its charm), The Wire is more grounded in reality and revels in a deliberate fascination with every last detail of an investigation. Another difference is that The Wire is every bit as much about the "bad guys" as the "good guys". I'm not sure liking one means you will like the other, but I'd risk it.

das

das and I have loved the show from the start. I also agree it is the best show on TV with the shield a close second. With the new lower price I would pick it up.
Old 08-22-06, 06:01 PM

it is definitely worth buying blind....(The Wire)

ddddBarbaraaaaaMag
Originally Posted by DJariya
Believe it or not, I have HBO and have never seen this show. I know the retail price for this show is about 100 bucks a piece. I saw that Season 1 and 2 are on sale at Circuit City for 43 bucks a piece and Season 3 is about 63 bucks. So do you guys think spending over 160 bucks for all 3 seasons in worth it? What is this show comparable to? Would saying it's a grittier version of The Shield be a fair comparison?
Once you start watching "The Wire" you just won't be able to stop but I do recommend starting with the 1st season, 1st episode. It is most definitely one of the best shows on TV. I own seasons 1,2 & 3 and after awhile go back and watch the whole season over again, one season at a time. Think about purchasing them on Ebay. I purchased all mine there and got them at about 60% off. I paid about 40.00 each (brand new, sealed). You may have to keep a watch on Ebay for awhile but it's worth the wait.