Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Boomerang (1947)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boomerang (1947)

Anyone know what's up with this title? DVD Savant says it's been withheld from release (although he's unwilling or unable to say why), and yet I saw 3 copies of it in my local Suncoast store for $14.99 each...did Fox change their (corporate) mind and put it out already, or was it recalled? Other sites I've checked say it wasn't actually released, or some got out but weren't supposed to, etc.

Anyone have the real story behind this? And more important, is this a worthwhile movie?
Old 07-27-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's still recalled! Pick those up ASAP and keep a copy for yourself and sell the other two on ebay or something.

It's not a great movie. IMHO, it was the worst of the wave, but far from the worst in the entire series. Worth picking up for noir fans with nice performances from Kennedy and the always likeable Andrews.
Old 07-27-06, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by natevines
It's still recalled! Pick those up ASAP and keep a copy for yourself and sell the other two on ebay or something.

It's not a great movie. IMHO, it was the worst of the wave, but far from the worst in the entire series. Worth picking up for noir fans with nice performances from Kennedy and the always likeable Andrews.
Really? The last time I had something like this happen, I ordered Ed Wood from Amazon, received it, and learned later that people were selling them on eBay for $50-$75...guess I better get down to Suncoast pronto!

Thanks for the heads up, Nate!

Oh, by the way, I've pretty much liked Dana Andrews in anything I've ever seen him in, including Hotrods From Hell...Arthur Kennedy I've only seen in Champion, but this sounds like a movie I would have picked up as a blind buy apart from the set it was in. So far I've picked and chosen more of the Fox Noirs than getting the sets, and it seems to be working pretty well.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Dr. Calamari; 07-27-06 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-28-06, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr. Calamari
Really? The last time I had something like this happen, I ordered Ed Wood from Amazon, received it, and learned later that people were selling them on eBay for $50-$75...guess I better get down to Suncoast pronto!

Thanks for the heads up, Nate!

Oh, by the way, I've pretty much liked Dana Andrews in anything I've ever seen him in, including Hotrods From Hell...Arthur Kennedy I've only seen in Champion, but this sounds like a movie I would have picked up as a blind buy apart from the set it was in. So far I've picked and chosen more of the Fox Noirs than getting the sets, and it seems to be working pretty well.

Thanks again!
Ed Wood is really that rare? Is there a certain copy of it that is rare or is it just in general? maybe a pic or link to the one you are talking about may help. All I know is that I've spotted some Ed Woods at my Border's, Suncoast, and Tower recently.

I'm an avid love of all thing film-noir, and was definitely bummed when this got cancelled, but I'll be heading to Suncoast tomorrow to see if they have any. Thanks OP.
Old 07-28-06, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by hiccup
Ed Wood is really that rare? Is there a certain copy of it that is rare or is it just in general? maybe a pic or link to the one you are talking about may help. All I know is that I've spotted some Ed Woods at my Border's, Suncoast, and Tower recently.

I'm an avid love of all thing film-noir, and was definitely bummed when this got cancelled, but I'll be heading to Suncoast tomorrow to see if they have any. Thanks OP.
I don't know that it's all that rare now, but the original release has some extras and Easter Eggs that subsequent releases don't have. What they are, I couldn't say...I ordered it as soon as I saw it was coming on DVD, so I got a first printing, or whatever it's called. Still have it, too...Ed Wood has been one of my favorites since I saw it in it's theatrical release in 1994!