Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The 400 Blows - view and thoughts

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 07-20-06, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 400 Blows (Les Quatre Cents Coups) Criterion - 5/5

A masterpiece IMO. I'd forgotten how good the film was, very moving.
Jean Pierre Léaud is superb as the young rebel, Antoine who has a diificult life thanks to an oppressive teacher and his parents, so he keeps running away, and takes refuge in the cinema. Its clear that the Antoine character was modelled on the real-life Truffaut (the director) as he had the same sort of experiences.

The video quality is excellent on the new Criterion and the subtitles seemed fine.

What does Antoine call the teacher? Little.. something.

Spoiler:
What does the final shot mean? Sort of a "What do I do now?" or "What do you think?" At this point, Antoine is free (remember he talks about loving the sea and his mom wanted the reform school to be near the sea
Old 07-20-06, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw it for the first time earlier this year off criterion's new disc. Easily the best film of it sorts, although it dosnt really fit into a genre. But, I classify it loosely as a coming of age movie, even though it is much more than that.

It's probably not fair to compare it with Cinema Paradiso, but what that film did wrong and was lacking, is contained in this film IMHO. One of the great films of all time.

I agree with your interpretation of the last shot, it's what I took it to mean too.