Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Best Version Of Horror Hotel?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 07-05-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to upgrade my old copy of this classic horror film. the one i own currently is the double feature of horror hotel/carnival of souls. since i purchased the criterion carnival of souls i would like to buy the best version of horror hotel as well. i see there is an "uncut" british version called city of the dead:horror hotel. i'm looking for the version with the best transfer, extras oar etc...thanks
Old 07-05-06, 08:54 AM

Go with the version called "City of the Dead" (original british title btw). I originally had a copy of Horror Hotel released through Troma a few years back and upgraded to the COTD version when it came out. I'll tell you right now, HUGE difference. And I cant even imagine the difference you'll see from that double feature disc. Transfer is very good, audio is clear and not only features two commentaries including the director and star christopher lee but there's also a 45 minute long interview with Lee that covers not only COTD but his entire career and experience working with different directors. Dont even hesitate or bother looking for a better version. Get this one now
Old 07-05-06, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by anakinforce
Go with the version called "City of the Dead" (original british title btw). I originally had a copy of Horror Hotel released through Troma a few years back and upgraded to the COTD version when it came out. I'll tell you right now, HUGE difference. And I cant even imagine the difference you'll see from that double feature disc. Transfer is very good, audio is clear and not only features two commentaries including the director and star christopher lee but there's also a 45 minute long interview with Lee that covers not only COTD but his entire career and experience working with different directors. Dont even hesitate or bother looking for a better version. Get this one now
Yes, this version was released by VCI. It may very well be their best-looking DVD ever. It's certainly one of their few progressively encoded DVDs. My only complaint is that the two commentaries should have been edited together -- lots of narration and/or dead air. But of course, it's the A/V quality of the movie that counts, and it's outstanding.

EDIT: Here's a link to VCI's page on their release, so you can see which cover they use.

Last edited by Ambassador; 07-05-06 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ambassador
Yes, this version was released by VCI. It may very well be their best-looking DVD ever. It's certainly one of their few progressively encoded DVDs. My only complaint is that the two commentaries should have been edited together -- lots of narration and/or dead air. But of course, it's the A/V quality of the movie that counts, and it's outstanding.

EDIT: Here's a link to VCI's page on their release, so you can see which cover they use.

Quick note on the cover art on that VCI page. Dont be discouraged if you dont see that cover around anywhere. VCI sent out the dvd with a reverse sleeve featuring different cover art on each side so the one you find in stores or online might show a different cover. Dont sweat it though. As long as it says VCI on the spine you're good to go
Old 07-05-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, the flipside looks like this: http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Captures/C...f_the_dead.jpg
Old 07-05-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i got my VCI DVD recently at DDD for only 5.99. my cover isnt reversible though, maybe they stopped doing this after a few printings. great price great dvd.
Old 07-05-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks all for the advice. the city of the dead is the version i will go for. one of my all time favorite horror movies.
Old 07-10-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i recieved the city of the dead today as part of one of my google checkout orders and couldn't be happier this is truly a sweet transfer of a CLASSIC horror movie. i love the christopher lee commentary. i would highly recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't yet seen it. a must for any fan of the classic horror genre.
Old 10-02-06, 11:04 PM

Elite disc...

There is another version (now out of print) by Elite Entertainment that was letterboxed from a nice source print...it's probably AT LEAST as good if not better as the VCI version but its the US cut (under the Horror Hotel title), doesn't have any bonus material (which is pretty cool stuff). I agree with the others that this is probably VCI's best looking DVD...and it does look VERY good.
Old 10-03-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa
There is another version (now out of print) by Elite Entertainment that was letterboxed from a nice source print...it's probably AT LEAST as good if not better as the VCI version
It's been years since I compared them, but the Elite edition is inferior to the VCI not only in terms of version and extras, but picture quality as well. VCI's is a sharper, more detailed transfer... and is anamorphic. (Elite's isn't anamorphic and is so dark in some scenes that many details are obscured.)

VCI wins this battle on all fronts.