Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

LOTR: Which version to get

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

LOTR: Which version to get

Old 07-04-06, 10:15 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 3,163
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
LOTR: Which version to get

I want to get all 3 movies of the LOTR but not sure what to get. I would like to get the Extended Editions of all 3 but I heard that each film is split up on 2 dvds.

It annoys me to watch a film and then get up to switch discs in the middle of it. Are the EE's still worth it or should I just get the regular versions?
Old 07-04-06, 10:31 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 654
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The EE's are definitely the versions to pick up. Plus, you might want to take a break in the middle of a 3 1/2 movie.
Old 07-04-06, 10:58 AM
  #3  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Posts: 6,364
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ElementZ
I want to get all 3 movies of the LOTR but not sure what to get. I would like to get the Extended Editions of all 3 but I heard that each film is split up on 2 dvds.

It annoys me to watch a film and then get up to switch discs in the middle of it. Are the EE's still worth it or should I just get the regular versions?
Wait for THE LORD OF THE RINGS: Limited Edition (available as individual titles for approx. $30 each or a boxed set for approx. $90), which features BOTH theatrical AND extended editions compressed together on one disc, thereby removing the requirement to flip the disc mid-playback.
Old 07-04-06, 11:34 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1,823
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you like extras I'd say go with the EE's. The films are split over two discs, but the splits are not abrupt, they fit naturally into the movies. In fact, I think they make the EE's easier to watch than the theatricals because it's so easy to watch one of the movies over two sittings if you don't have time for it all at once. I think of them as the six part miniseries version of LOTR.

If you're not into extras you might want the upcoming limited edition that was mentioned above, and have both versions. I think the EE's tell the story better, though, and the picture quality is very good.
Old 07-04-06, 12:45 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 5,010
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Wait for THE LORD OF THE RINGS: Limited Edition (available as individual titles for approx. $30 each or a boxed set for approx. $90), which features BOTH theatrical AND extended editions compressed together on one disc, thereby removing the requirement to flip the disc mid-playback.
Agreed.
Old 07-04-06, 01:21 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: the 870
Posts: 22,734
Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
get the EE, I can't imagine having both the regualr and EE on ONE DVD, the compression would be aweful plus the EE really adds a lot to the stories
Old 07-04-06, 02:01 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 5,010
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
get the EE, I can't imagine having both the regualr and EE on ONE DVD, the compression would be aweful plus the EE really adds a lot to the stories
I agree, but he said he doesn't want to switch discs. If this is important to him, he should get the new one.
Old 07-04-06, 02:31 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 610
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What makes anyone think the new discs won't be flippers?

Has anyone ever calculated how much the complete running time of the EE versions, *PLUS* the running time of the sections of the theatrical cut that are different from their EE counterparts, would add up to? Because that will be to total effective running time of the new version (using seamless branching), and I very sincerely doubt they will fit on one side of a disc.

RichC
Old 07-04-06, 02:33 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,077
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I say get both the TE's and the EE's.
Old 07-04-06, 02:37 PM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Posts: 6,364
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdclark
What makes anyone think the new discs won't be flippers?
Because everything I've seen posted so far regarding these releases indicates disc one will be the movie (both versions) and disc two will be a new making-of documentary, both discs being single-sided. I guess time will tell...
Old 07-04-06, 05:29 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 645
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new Limited Editions will only have DD 5.1. If you have the capability, the DTS ES 6.1 on the 4-disc EE's is some of the best DVD sound I have ever heard. Let's not forget the four commentaries on each movie which will also be absent on the new LE's.
Old 07-04-06, 05:33 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no way the new editions coming out are one single sided disc anyhow... they have to be flippers. If it doesn't flip, then well... as said the compression is going to be horrible. Don't buy an inferior product just for the sake of not wanting to switch a disc out.

The best edition as far as special features go and in terms of quality, are the Extended Editions. Extended Editions usually mean crap for 99% of DVD's that have 'extended' on them, as it's just two minutes of additional footage added to cash in on the product. BUT, the EE's of LOTR really does add to each movie and I can't picture watching LOTR in their theatrical form ever again after seeing the EE's.

I strongly push for the EE's.
Old 07-04-06, 05:53 PM
  #13  
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Fok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Canada, BC
Posts: 6,691
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go with the EE's, you won't regret it and swapping the disks part way is no big deal IMO
Old 07-04-06, 08:37 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,232
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the theatrical cuts and the extended editions, and am tempted by the upcoming limited editions for the new documentaries--but if I had to choose one, I would have to go with the extended. Best film presentation, multiple commentaries, in-depth documentary content. I don't mind changing discs for a premium transfer. No offense, just saying.

Has there ever been a DVD package released featuring both single-sided and double-sided discs? Wouldn't that be a rather unattractive mix?

--THX
Old 07-04-06, 08:44 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about movies, but the Flintstones seasons have a few discs that are single sided, and the last disc has a double sided one. It is rather unattractive.
Old 07-04-06, 09:55 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,029
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
I have the theatrical cuts and the extended editions, and am tempted by the upcoming limited editions for the new documentaries--but if I had to choose one, I would have to go with the extended. Best film presentation, multiple commentaries, in-depth documentary content. I don't mind changing discs for a premium transfer. No offense, just saying.

Has there ever been a DVD package released featuring both single-sided and double-sided discs? Wouldn't that be a rather unattractive mix?

--THX
Superman: The Animated Series for all three volumes has disc one as a single-sided disc, while disc two is a flipper. I really hate it, as disc one has art on it, while of course, disc two doesn't. It just looks ugly together.
Old 07-04-06, 10:13 PM
  #17  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Posts: 6,364
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Has there ever been a DVD package released featuring both single-sided and double-sided discs? Wouldn't that be a rather unattractive mix?

--THX
The Limited Collector's Edition for CINDERELLA MAN would be one...
Old 07-05-06, 06:13 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 882
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you haven't bought the LOTR movies yet, you're probably not a diehard LOTR fan. It took me about 1 year after Return of the King came out on dvd to decide to buy my 3 LOTR movies. I'm not a huge fan myself, but I enjoy the movies for what they are. I recommend getting what I got - the cheaper theatrical versions (unless of course you are in fact a diehard fan that has to have everything LOTR related, then disregard my post). Each movie is conveniently on one disc. There's hours of great special features on the second disc (Not as much as the EEs of course, but still, there's hours.). I enjoy my 14-dollar-each theatrical versions (a killer deal if you ask me). They are great dvds and they are filled with all of the LOTR material that I will EVER need.
Old 07-05-06, 03:09 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 610
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Because everything I've seen posted so far regarding these releases indicates disc one will be the movie (both versions) and disc two will be a new making-of documentary, both discs being single-sided. I guess time will tell...
I've only seen one official source, the press release. Which says nothing about "single sided." Where have you seen different?

RichC
Old 07-05-06, 04:08 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The EEs are possibly the most impressive DVD sets ever produced for individual films. They are without question the pinnacle of my collection.

That said, it sounds like you are a casual fan, and the theatrical cuts would do just fine.
Old 07-05-06, 08:23 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,232
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I don't know about movies, but the Flintstones seasons have a few discs that are single sided, and the last disc has a double sided one. It is rather unattractive.
Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Superman: The Animated Series for all three volumes has disc one as a single-sided disc, while disc two is a flipper. I really hate it, as disc one has art on it, while of course, disc two doesn't. It just looks ugly together.
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
The Limited Collector's Edition for CINDERELLA MAN would be one...
Damn, I detest packaging decisions like this. Just add another disc, how hard is that?

--THX
Old 07-05-06, 08:48 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Mary Tyler Moore does the same thing with their last discs though, not sure. I have 'em at home but it's been a while since I looked.
Old 07-06-06, 07:43 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 2,458
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can make it easy for you...the extended editions are the best by far-more details and more like the books!
I have an extra set that I can sell you....the packaging is also great..look like 3 classic books on the shelf...I can send all 3 to you in mint condition for $65 shipped.
email me if interested.
Old 07-06-06, 09:39 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,936
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recommend the extended editions, and you can get the collectors editions for around 20-22$ each. That said, you can probably find all three of the theatrical editions for around 15$ total.
Old 07-07-06, 11:42 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 52,309
Received 971 Likes on 805 Posts
The EEs are far superior. The TEs' bonus material is mostly fluff, but I admit I have sometimes put those in when I just want to skim through certain scenes without loading both discs into my carousel. I thought the break on FOTR was a bit abrupt.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.