Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is "The Pledge" worth a blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-06, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friend of mine saw it and said it was a very good movie. I've been burned alot lately with blind buys i didnt enjoy at all. So i thought i would get some opinions from you movie freaks
Old 07-01-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

very good movie (and entertaining) but since it's a mystery, it's not great for multiple viewing. definately worth seeing, but I'd only blind buy it if it were pretty cheap
Old 07-01-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Great movie directed by Sean Penn. Acting & story are superb. You can usually find this fairly inexpensive used.
Old 07-01-06, 09:49 PM

It's worth a blind buy at $5-7. It's one of the few DVDs I have that I've watched about 4 times. Great movie but not for everyone.
Old 07-02-06, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely not for everyone. I went to see it when it came out and I was VERY disappointed. I would say if there are some decent extras, pick it up, but I see that there are no extras. I could not recommend.
Old 07-02-06, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Personally, I thought this was a great film until the end, which I thought was absolutely terrible and ruined everything that came before it. One of the worst endings for any movie that I can think of.
Old 07-02-06, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Living Dead
Personally, I thought this was a great film until the end, which I thought was absolutely terrible and ruined everything that came before it. One of the worst endings for any movie that I can think of.
I disagree. I thought the end was very haunting. Not every film has to have a "Hollywood" ending.
Old 07-02-06, 05:36 AM

IMHO no, and I'm not saying that just because you put the thread in the wrong forum Of course I've never been a big fan of Jack Nicholson so that may explain it...
Old 07-02-06, 05:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Living Dead
I agree. I usually don't mind if a movie ends on a downer but the only thing I can remember about this film is how much I hated the ending. From what I can recall the rest of the movie was good but the end left a bad taste in my mouth to say the least.
Old 07-02-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:

I, too, was going to say how much I thought the ending sucked, but I didn't want to ruin it for the OP in case he was going to buy it.
Personally, If I haven't seen a movie I do not like to read any detailed reviews on plot or parts of the movie that were good/bad, especially hearing any opinions on the ending.
Old 07-02-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree with Numes. The ending talk should be spoilerized. The OP has obviously never seen the movie.

It seems like you can find The Pledge for $5-$10. At that price, it's a good blind buy. It's a pretty slow film, very character driven, with some thriller elements. I really liked it, my girlfriend fell asleep.
Old 07-02-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To me it's not so much of a bad ending as somewhat contrived. It seems like Penn worked himself into a corner a little so he ended it the way he did. A *tremendous* performance by Nicholson and to me, one of the best female performances in recent memory from Robin Wright Penn. I've always thought she was a good actress and an amazing natural beauty but in the film she plays a very damaged woman emotionally and it comes out in a shockingly visceral way, both in her appearance and performance. Great work.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 07-02-06 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-02-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
It's cheap enough at this point to take a blind buy and not be burned too badly. I thought it was a great story.
Old 07-02-06, 04:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely not for everyone. I personally hated this movie, but I can still understand why some people are fans. I *get* what they see in it, but I just can't get into it.
Old 07-03-06, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I disagree. I thought the end was very haunting. Not every film has to have a "Hollywood" ending.
yes that was what i thought too - the ending really remains with you even long after you have finished watching the movie.

i sold my copy away hoping that a better version with extra features would come along and i regret doing that.

i'd probably pick it up during a sale or something.
Old 07-03-06, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a great movie but it's not for everyone. It has a slow pace that slowly builds and misleads you into thinking it's a thriller when it's actually a drama. If you're okay with the pace, pick it up. If not, you shouldn't.
Old 07-03-06, 08:45 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've often wondered this, too, especially since a) Jack Nicholson is my all-time favorite actor and b) I simply adore Jack Nicholson's and Sean Penn's prior work together, the woefully underrated THE CROSSING GUARD. Let me narrow the question down thusly, then: is THE PLEDGE worth a blind buy for fans of THE CROSSING GUARD?
Old 07-03-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
is THE PLEDGE worth a blind buy for fans of THE CROSSING GUARD?

YES, most definitely.

The two films have similarities in style and pace, though the Pledge is darker. The Pledge is also the better movie.
Old 07-03-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I recommend this title as well, for Jack Nicholson's performance, and Sean Penn's direction - the film harkens back to those character studies (The Conversation, Five Easy Pieces, Night Moves etc.) they used to make in the seventies that Hollywood has no interest in making anymore. It's easily my favorite of Penn's films.