Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. - The Complete Series'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read Holly Beeman's DVD review of The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. - The Complete Series at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22466 and...

quick question..: Are these episodes presented as they originally aired or the longer "TNT" cut?
Old 06-28-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest, I'm not sure. I don't think I ever caught the series on TNT myself. I could go through and give you some run-times, though, if that'd be helpful. Just LMK. Sorry that I don't have a more definite answer for you.
Old 06-29-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Networks usually have to trim episodes to fit their alloted commercial time which is why some of the upcoming tv on dvd say things like "Lost: The Extended Experience." I think TNT's "longer cuts" are just the actual cut of the episodes, ie- what you'd see on dvd. So while I don't know for sure, having not seen the dvds, I'd say it's reasonable to assume that these dvds contain the full episodes.
Old 06-29-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Then I am inclined to agree. The episodes seemed pretty long, so I'd imagine they are indeed the longer cuts. I'm not 100% on that, and again, sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 06-29-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I found it odd that the review noted John Astin's work as the voice of the animated Gomez on "The Addams Family" cartoon, rather than his portrayal of Gomez on the live-action show.
Old 06-29-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I found it odd that the review noted John Astin's work as the voice of the animated Gomez on "The Addams Family" cartoon, rather than his portrayal of Gomez on the live-action show.
I didn't look down far enough on the iMDB list. I saw that he did work in The Addams Family, and I thought it odd for people to mention it elsewhere if it were only the animated cartoon series. Thank you for pointing that out. I adjusted the review.
Old 07-02-06, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
My girlfriend was wanting me to rent this set. Her reasons were, it's funny and the lead actor is hot. I had never heard of it, so I tossed it into the queue, and then started reading about it.

She can't stand Evil Dead or Bubba Ho-Tep. Once I told her who the main actor was, she got a little dejected. Good times.

Looks like a good series, though. I'm excited for it to come in.
Old 07-03-06, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ha ha. That's so strange! I mean, it has Bruce Campbell written all over it. It's definitely a lot different than both the Evil Dead Trilogy and Bubba Ho-Tep, but still. That's too funny. Please let me know what your thoughts are on the series after viewing it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Old 07-04-06, 02:34 PM

Can't wait to get my hands on this badboy! I never even thought of it being released on DVD, one of my favorite shows of all time and one of the most under-rated and under-appreciated definately!
Old 07-19-06, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Watched the first episode last night and this series still holds up over time. Great stuff, I just wish they had put commentaries on more of the episodes. Just glad to finally have this series complete and on DVD.
Old 07-19-06, 09:26 AM

I can confirm that the PILOT episode in the DVD set is the longer, TNT-version. Unfortunately, this version is still missing about 5 seconds that appeared in the FOX original broadcast--a small snippet of conversation during the the first meeting with the Robber Barons, in which one robber baron tells another something like, "Say what you will, but I like that man" (referring to Brisco). So I'm still going to burn my FOX version to DVD-R for posterity. But overall the DVD version is the far better cut, containing several MINUTES of good scenes that did not appear on FOX.

Unfortunately, I have to go back to Best Buy and exchange my set--one of the disc hubs is broken, causing the dreaded "floating disc syndrome." My first bad experience with the overlapping disc layout. (I do wish every studio would just switch toThinpacks for TV series sets. So much more convenient than having to unfold a huge thing to get just one disc.) If this release were cheaper, I'd just live with it, but for $70, I want a PERFECT set!

Overall, I am very pleased with this release! The picture quality is quite good for the era in question; maybe a tad soft compared to something recent and anamorphic like LOST: Season One or 24, but a step up from the transfers for THE FLASH and ALIEN NATION: The Series. Somewhat better looking than DEEP SPACE NINE (I have only the first 2 seasons) also.

I am going to really enjoy watching this series again--finally, without Chevy Chase sticking his face into the end credits to promote his flop talk show and ruining the mood!
Old 07-20-06, 12:47 PM

After reading several positive reviews on various sites for the sets I might be ready to blind buy this sucker. I wanted to ask if you guys think I should. I like Evil Dead, Bubba Ho-Tep, and pretty much all of the guys other work. This sounds like fun and I don't remember hearing much of it during it's original run. I'd really like to but for $70 I don't want to regret it. I don't have Netfilx or anything like that either.
Old 07-20-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's more than understandable that you wouldn't want to blind buy a set at $70. However, if you have indeed enjoyed all (or most of) Bruce's other work, then I truly believe you won't be disappointed. Brisco has a lot of charm, and it really is just a fun show to watch. Another great thing about it is the high replay value. It's one of those shows you can definitely watch more than once.
Old 07-20-06, 04:34 PM

Thanks for your response! I'll probably pick up this set over the weekend or next week when I get paid.

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
It's more than understandable that you wouldn't want to blind buy a set at $70. However, if you have indeed enjoyed all (or most of) Bruce's other work, then I truly believe you won't be disappointed. Brisco has a lot of charm, and it really is just a fun show to watch. Another great thing about it is the high replay value. It's one of those shows you can definitely watch more than once.
Old 07-21-06, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Jackal
I like Evil Dead, Bubba Ho-Tep, and pretty much all of the guys other work. .
If that's so, then I can't imagine you NOT liking this show. Unless you really, really, REALLY hate Westerns (and it's only a Western on the surface), you will fall under the spell of Brisco! I spent my $70 without hesitation.
Old 07-23-06, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would you say it has the charm and humour comparable to "Firefly"?
Old 07-23-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only watched the first episode of Firefly, and I actually wasn't that into it. I do plan on watching the entire series, though, since I've heard so many good things about it. It does hold something in common with Brisco, and that is that they were both cancelled after one season, which is unfortunate. If I ever get around to watching Firefly, I will get back to you on that, but hopefully someone else will be able to give his/her two cents in the meantime.

Last edited by justbarelymovin; 07-23-06 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-17-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Watching this really brings back memories. It was really great when this first came out -- looked forward to it (Friday nights I think).

With that in mind, does anyone have any idea of a good episode order to keep the story complete? The production order that the discs are featured in by default seems a little out of whack with the overall timeline (such as the professor showing up with his inner space suit in the second episode), but the original airing order with the "Orb Scholar" as the second episode also seems like it's coming after a larger time frame as well.

Granted I haven't watched through the entire series again yet, but I'd like to try and get on the same page from the start.

thanks.
Old 08-23-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm watching the "history of brisco county" featurette and I must say Bruce Campbell looks positively awful in his interview footage. His face looks bloated and pale. Either that or I'm just too used to seeing him in his more youthful roles in Evil Dead and this show.
Old 08-23-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Watching this really brings back memories. It was really great when this first came out -- looked forward to it (Friday nights I think).

With that in mind, does anyone have any idea of a good episode order to keep the story complete? The production order that the discs are featured in by default seems a little out of whack with the overall timeline (such as the professor showing up with his inner space suit in the second episode), but the original airing order with the "Orb Scholar" as the second episode also seems like it's coming after a larger time frame as well.

Granted I haven't watched through the entire series again yet, but I'd like to try and get on the same page from the start.

thanks.
The episodes are slightly out of order from when they aired, but if you look in the booklet, it lists all the original air dates to the episodes. Is that what you were looking for? If not, lemme know, and I'll try to provide a little more help.
Old 08-25-06, 12:20 PM

The episodes were put in the order Carlton Cuse requested. Call them Creator Order.

Gord
Old 08-26-06, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
These are coming up next in my Netflix. I won't get a booklet, so what order should I be watching these in.

A link would be sufficient, if you don't want to actually type it out.
Old 08-26-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I think the order they are already in on the discs is perfectly sufficient, as another poster pointed out that they are the order in which co-creator/executive producer Carlton Cuse wanted them to be in. If you want the original air date order, all you have to do is Google something to that effect (e.g., "Brisco episode guide").
Old 08-26-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only 1 episode is out of order. Don't have the set in front of me, but I think it was just moving Socrate's Sister to a little bit later, so the order is:

Pilot
The Orb Scholar
No Man's Land
Brisco in Jalisco
Socrates' Sister
Old 08-27-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Yeah, that answers most of the issues. I think I had a few questions about it the first time it aired back in '93 as well. Maybe like most shows, they were planning on having the pilot air a month or so before starting the show - rather than the week before the regular series and so even eps like "The Orb Scholar" seem a little out of place.

Spoiler:
how does the prof. know so much about the orb that disappeared almost as soon as it was found, etc.

granted, I still need to finish rewatching it, but that's one I've had for a while.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.