Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Danger: Diabolik'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 06-15-06, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read DVD Savant's DVD review of Danger: Diabolik at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16396 and...

As much as I appreciate the care that seems to have gone into many aspects of this DVD release, I am VERY disappointed in the decision to completely reject the audio track from the previous Paramount home video releases, and I disagree completely that these voicings were inferior, regardless of their provenance. Compare the two voices of Diabolik's nemesis, Ginko: his faux-English sleuth accent on the DVD is an utter failure compared to the more hard-nosed voice in the original HV release. It also provided a nice contrast (now lost) to the comic Englishness of Terry-Thomas, with whom he shares much of his screentime. How difficult would it have been to include BOTH tracks, for a truly definitive release?

And while it's nice that time and expense was spent to create bonus material, the documentary is a major disappointment. Explain to me how it makes sense to give a member of the Beastie Boys significantly more face time than the film's composer, Ennio Morricone? And considering the maestro's score is so unique (and so highly sought after), how is it that Morricone's brief appearance deals only with his admiration of Bava's gift for inventive visual effects??? What a wasted opportunity!

A noble effort on many levels, but sadly far from the definitive presentation.