Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Delicatessen'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-06, 01:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I read Ian Jane's DVD review of Delicatessen at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=21375 and...how is this movie from "viewers like me"? is it a movie you'll rewatch many times? i really like Jeunet's stuff, especially "Ameile". so will i enjoy this?
Old 05-02-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
All of Jeunet's films have a similar skewed style, and if you're on his wavelength I'm sure you'll like Delicatessen. It's not much like Amelie in tone, though. It's closer to City of Lost Children, maybe crossed with Time Bandits.
Old 05-03-06, 10:43 AM

thanks josh.
well, i enjoyed "Time Bandits" very much (i know that is Gilliam, along with "12 Monkeys" ) i can rent CoLC, but not Deli so i guess i will do that to see if i will possibly enjoy the latter.

anyone else want to way in on the movie?
Old 05-03-06, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For my money, "Delicatessen" is the best thing Jeunet has ever done. Definite repeat potential, too.
Old 05-03-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked Amelie a lot. I had pretty high hopes hearing all the hype about this movie for years, but for me it just did not deliver. Good filmmaker at work here, but the end product just fell flat on me. It seemed like the director was trying to create his version of Eraserhead at which he was pretty sucessful. It had some realy great moments but it did not work for me as a whole. Thank God for Netflix because I realy wanted to get this as a blind buy. As always pretty much everybody else who will be posting after me will disagree with my opinion.

RENT IT!

PS. I like Time Bandits too!
Old 05-04-06, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
All of Jeunet's films have a similar skewed style, and if you're on his wavelength I'm sure you'll like Delicatessen. It's not much like Amelie in tone, though. It's closer to City of Lost Children, maybe crossed with Time Bandits.
I don't understand the Time Bandits reference, but I agree that all of Jeunet's films have a similar vibe. However, Caro's influence is seen in both this and City of Lost Chilren (as you mention) which is why they are darker.
Old 05-04-06, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mifuneral
I don't understand the Time Bandits reference,
Juenet and Caro's early work is undeniably influenced by Terry Gilliam.
Old 05-04-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Juenet and Caro's early work is undeniably influenced by Terry Gilliam.
I won't argue with that, but I maintain that Time Bandits is a poor example. Time Bandits is a fun action film lead by a child and a midget. Jeunet and Caro's early works, on the other hand, are not really what I would describe as fun and aren't nearly as adventurous. A far better comparison would be Brazil, which contains the same quirky post apocalyptic atmosphere as both Delicatessan and City of Lost Children.
Old 05-04-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mifuneral
I won't argue with that, but I maintain that Time Bandits is a poor example. Time Bandits is a fun action film lead by a child and a midget. Jeunet and Caro's early works, on the other hand, are not really what I would describe as fun and aren't nearly as adventurous. A far better comparison would be Brazil, which contains the same quirky post apocalyptic atmosphere as both Delicatessan and City of Lost Children.
Fair enough.
Old 05-06-06, 11:10 AM

so i guess if i couldn't get into "City of Lost Children" there would be no hope with "Delicatessen" ? though i did especially like Dominique Pinon's performance...err performances.
Old 05-11-06, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
so i guess if i couldn't get into "City of Lost Children" there would be no hope with "Delicatessen" ? though i did especially like Dominique Pinon's performance...err performances.
I thought the bizzar style of both were pretty similar. Though i felt that Delicatessen had more of a coherent plot to it. Personally I enjoyed Delicatessen a good deal more than City of Lost Children.

Basically I think there is as chance you would enjoy it but its a little less likely since you didn't care for City of Lost Children.