Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Buying a movie soon and stuck between these 2: Ikiru or High and Low [both Criterion]

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Buying a movie soon and stuck between these 2: Ikiru or High and Low [both Criterion]

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ikiru or High and Low [both Criteriond]
Old 04-14-06, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For me personally, I enjoyed High & Low more. Perhaps because I was hyped up about Ikiru and it didn't live up to it (in my eyes). However, DVD-wise, Ikiru is the top choice here. High & Low was one of Criterion's early discs and the transfer is only so-so, that and there's rumor of a re-release. Though that could be up to a year away. Basically:
Movie: High & Low
DVD: Ikiru

Take that as you will.
Old 04-14-06, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
What are you looking for? High and Low is a detective story with a chase scene. Ikiru is about a chilly man trying to do one good thing after he finds out that he's dying. Both are excellent. Which one I prefer depends on my mood.
Old 04-14-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ikiru is the better film IMO. More important than my subjective opininon, however, are the rumors that Criterion plans to re-release "High and Low" in a better anamorphic transfer. The current transfer is not exactly fantastic, and really suffers from the lack of anamorphic enhancement (it's a 'scope film).

I'd rent "High and Low" if you're dying to see it (and I certainly recommend you do), and wait for better release that's hopefully in the offing.
Old 04-14-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ikiru.
Old 04-14-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'd have to vote for "Ikiru." I think it's a superior movie. "High and Low" is excellent, but I think it's second half shifts gears a bit too awkwardly into a Japanese "Dragnet." Anyway, I think Criterion's extras on "Ikiru" are terrific, too.
Old 04-14-06, 03:38 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I have to lean towards Ikiru myself. High and Low was pretty good, has it's high and low moments but I recall not being completely satisfied afterward. Ikiru is pretty flat throughout but I did like it a bit more. High and Low=roller coaster, Ikiru=merry go around.
Old 04-15-06, 11:01 AM
MSD

High and Low

Ikiru was a bit dull.
Old 04-15-06, 09:52 PM

ikiru has the better extras and better video quality but the better movie is high and low but it has no extras and the transfer was not quite good and there will be another version which will be released next year?