Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Brokeback Mountain vs. Crash DC :which should I buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.
View Poll Results: Brokeback Mountain or CrashC:which DVD should I get?
Brokeback Mountain
45.76%
CrashC
54.24%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I have started limiting the Best Picture nom. DVDs I buy as I don't watch them all that often. However, I do try to buy at least two of the noms. from that year as I do agree with their noms. One I will have is definitely Good Night and Good Luck, as it was the Best Pic. of the year IMHO. The other spot I cannot decide between Brokeback Mountain which I thought was good but not great, and Crash, which I hold in about the same opinion as Crash. The other noms, Munich and Capote, were both impressive but not as much as these other two to me.

Brokeback was an accomplishment and beautiful movie, but a tad overrated IMO. Crash was something I enjoyed and wanted to get the DVD, but decided to wait until the DC was available once I heard about it. I guess I'm just torn between what did win and what many thought should have won. What's your opinion?

NOTE: I do not want this to be another heated debate thread.

EDIT: Could someone edit that accidental smilie out of my poll? Thanks!

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 04-05-06 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-05-06, 04:55 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you liked CRASH best (shame on you for not recognizing that MUNICH was better than all of 'em, but you're certainly not alone) so it looks like a no-brainer to me.
Old 04-05-06, 04:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw crash, thought it was lame and anticlimactic. Would never watch Brokeback Mountain. So as someone who wouldn't buy either just as much as the other, go with the Crash DC because a) it did win, and b) its a "special edition"

There ya go!
Old 04-05-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Crash.
Old 04-05-06, 05:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
oh good...another debate between these two. doesn't the 5 or so threads in movie forum preclude a debate will ensue? plus, isn't this for "Reviews and Recommendations"?

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-05-06 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-05-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm confused by your assertion that you like Crash about as much as Crash.
Old 04-05-06, 05:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

ha, I didn't even catch that
Old 04-05-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy To Kill a Mockingbird if you desire a classic movie which deals with race. Buy Brokeback Mountain if you want to have a life-changing experience. Forget Crash.
Old 04-05-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I say get both if you want them, regardless of whatever awards they won or didn't win. Personally, I would get Brokeback and no version of Crash, but that's just me. Just because some of us didn't like Crash but liked Brokeback (or vice-versa), there are people that liked both.
Old 04-05-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Duality
Buy To Kill a Mockingbird if you desire a classic movie which deals with race. Buy Brokeback Mountain if you want to have a life-changing experience. Forget Crash.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 04-06-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My suggestion - especially if you're all-region/format - is to forego these purchases for something that approaches a similar subject matter in a more interesting (and IMO successful) manner. After all, do you really want your personal collection to look like what one might find at any ol' Blockbuster?

Instead of "Brokeback Mountain"... try "Tropical Malady". (preferably the PAL-format Thai release from ethai.com)

Instead of "Crash"... try "Code Unknown". (preferably the PAL format UK release)
Old 04-06-06, 01:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
has anyone found any reviews for "Crash" DC?
Old 04-06-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Brokeback Mountain had all the makings of a Best Picture Oscar winner, with repeated viewings it grows on you even more and it becomes even more powerful. Crash won the Best Picture Oscar, but with repeated viewings it grows a bit stale with that whole "your a racist, el' sicko, dirty slimeball, corrupt cops" were all crashing into eachother in this life in LA thing. Don't get me wrong, it's a powerful film, but Brokeback Mountain is the better long term film for repeated viewings, it's a film that you would want to go back and see all the time. Crash grows stale with repeated viewings imo.
Old 04-06-06, 09:16 PM

I go to most all movies and can tell you on a scale of 0 to 9 that Crash is in the range of 2 or 3, whereas Brokeback Mountain is in the range of 7 or 8. I base this on what did this picture have to say? Was it new? Was is significant? Was it well done? Was it real?

In all fairness, Crash was the same BS warmed over and over and over. My God how many times do you have to see this same s***? The cast was of no real interest, some over the hill and need to get a life and a job not on screen! As far the the picture goes, LA is LA and so what did you expect?

Now BBM is all new, vivid, clean, clear, strong, it is so strong you will think about it for a week after seeing it. This is a life of millions of up standing citizens, many do not know and some will never know what he was. You may have a mother or father or other relative who made it work for all their lives. I for one am just fed up with all the cops that are guilty and act like they know or are given some better view of life - BS, they are not on my list to honor, because I worked with them for years and know far too much. Bill Neill, [email protected].
Old 04-06-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
NOTE: I do not want this to be another heated debate thread.
Say what?

Why don't you rent them both and then decide which one you want to buy?
Old 04-07-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Duality
Buy To Kill a Mockingbird if you desire a classic movie which deals with race.
Nah, To Kill a Mockingbird was the Crash of its time: overwrought, self-congratulory crap, one of the best examples I can think of to demonstrate the difference between classic films and just old ones. It resonated powerfully with some... but so did Crash.

Do the Right Thing is decent. Not my favorite, but I'm white, so maybe that's the point. The first film I think of that's in a similar vein as Crash but much, much better is Dark Blue, with Kurt Russell.
Old 04-07-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
The first film I think of that's in a similar vein as Crash but much, much better is...
Code Unknown!
Old 04-07-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Maybe I'll just spring for a copy of Cannibal Holocaust off of Amazon.CA instead.
Old 04-07-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the question is...are you confident enough to have a gay cowboy movie or have a Matt Dillon/Sandra Bullock (yikes!) movie in your DVD collection?
Old 04-07-06, 10:46 PM

Easy! Buy the movie you like most!
Old 04-11-06, 10:23 AM
Cool New Member

I thought Crash was good. but WAY too overrated.
Old 04-11-06, 11:53 AM

Before going to Capote I watched To Kill a Mockingbird. The book was written by Harper Lee, who is played by Catherine Keener in Capote. Mockingbird is autobiographical, and Harper calls herself Scout in the book and movie. The little boy with specs who comes to Macon for the summer was really Truman Capote. That's when she met him and they became lifelong friends. So I would buy both Mockingbird and Capote and watch them as a double feature. The tie-in is so beautiful! Cheers~~
Old 04-11-06, 02:16 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does Capote or To Kill a Mockingbird have to do with trying to decide whether to buy Brokeback Mountain or Crash?
Old 04-12-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll throw another wrinkle in this and say...get the first version of CRASH. The DC was not the film that won Best Picture.
Old 04-12-06, 01:05 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by BassDude
I'll throw another wrinkle in this and say...get the first version of CRASH. The DC was not the film that won Best Picture.
Agreed. But if you prefer gay cowboys eating pudding...go with Brokeback Mountain.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.