Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Hostel'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-06, 04:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I read Scott Weinberg's DVD review of Hostel at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=20964 and...i am glad this movie got the SE release it deserves. i can't wait to hear the Roth and QT commentary. that sounds like it would be fun.

but scott, no trailer for "Hostel"?? i don't understand what production companies are thinking of when they put a butt load of trailers on the thing, but not the original movie's. what is up with that?
anyway, good review Scott, can't wait.
Old 04-05-06, 02:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, Scott. I double-checked for those trailers, but nope. So glad they remembered to put the trailer for THE CAVE on there.

Darn you, Sony.
Old 04-06-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a bigger shame when the trailer(s) were as awesome and grisly intense and disturbing as the ones for this film!!

I also missed all the tv spots since I don't watch much tv. But I heard great things about them. From the old school ballyhoo of people throwing up,having heart attacks,wheeled out by paramedics and so forth. I really wanted to see them,but so far can't find them online at all. But I did see many people bitching about the tv spots being too frightening to air on tv and how they were freaking people out.

A shame they're not included on the dvd. If another release happens in the future with the alternate/original ending. They better include the trailer and tv spots then!

But this is Sony...and like most studios today. They suck when it comes to including trailers for the film itself on a dvd release. And instead will promote a billion other films we could care less about.
Old 04-06-06, 04:22 PM

what is this alternate/original ending you speak of, julie?
Old 04-06-06, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember seeing a few of the trailers on tv. They were great and made me actually want to go to the theater, which is saying something because I only go to the movies whenever I win free passes from the radio station. Luckily, I won tickets to Hostel and got to see it. Although I didn't think it was as graphic as everybody said. I can't wait to pick this up and watch it again.
Old 04-06-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by scott1598
what is this alternate/original ending you speak of, julie?
Spoiler:
Paxton doesn't kill the dutch-businessman and instead kidnaps his daughter who is with him. And the film leaves with Paxton covering there girls mouth on the train as it pulls away with the dad left at the station unsure what became of his daughter as payback. We're not sure if he kills her or just takes her away to free her from a sick parent. The original thought about ending that was never filmed had Paxton killing the daughter though,but was thought to be to dark,mean spirited and abit unrealistic for the charecter to become such a sadist

took julies word's from the thread in dvdtalk.
Old 04-08-06, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The alternate endings are mentioned in the commentaries. It seems patently obvious that there'll be a Director's Cut release in the future.
Old 04-09-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

surised, thought that there would be some deleted scenes (also, isn't this being called "the unrated dc?)
Old 04-11-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
surised, thought that there would be some deleted scenes (also, isn't this being called "the unrated dc?)
Well, it is the "unrated dc" ... but what comes next is the "eye goo Special Edition!". I want to buy this DVD, but my spidey-sense is telling me there's going to be a double-dip early in 2007. There's talk of rushing a sequel and having it released about that time. So the MO would be for the double-dip to happen right before the release of the new movie -- with movie tickets and advertising for a "shocking new alternate ending". In fact, I'd be shocked if they didn't do this -- the studios are very predictable in this way. The only way this doesn't happen is if talks to make the sequel fall through (production hasn't started, so they better get moving to finish it).
Old 04-11-06, 04:21 PM

So.....From what I gather.....
No official word on a future double-dip but it definately looks like it's coming.
Is that right?
Old 04-11-06, 05:13 PM

27 seconds is so weak!
Old 04-11-06, 11:22 PM

27 seconds of gore does make a difference and thus is not 'weak'.

But I don't think anything is added to the 'eye' scene. According to someone on imdb.com forum who got an early copy. They said
Spoiler:
the chainsawing of the leg has more spurting blood and lingers more,more lingering of a charecters corpse being 'operated' on. Slightly more graphic footage of kids attacking the baddies. And more graphic footage in the suicide train sequence with womans head being crushed by the train
. No mention of more 'eye goo' was mentioned and if that was all that was added,it would be obvious!

Last edited by Julie Walker; 04-11-06 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-12-06, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
27 seconds of gore does make a difference and thus is not 'weak'.

But I don't think anything is added to the 'eye' scene. According to someone on imdb.com forum who got an early copy. They said
Spoiler:
the chainsawing of the leg has more spurting blood and lingers more,more lingering of a charecters corpse being 'operated' on. Slightly more graphic footage of kids attacking the baddies. And more graphic footage in the suicide train sequence with womans head being crushed by the train
. No mention of more 'eye goo' was mentioned and if that was all that was added,it would be obvious!
to me it is weak especially in a movie that seems like it cut more.
Old 04-12-06, 02:38 PM

Well he was aiming for disturbing violence/gore...and not excessively over the top comedic gore. Thus not alot was shown for maximum impact,which made the few bits that were shown more effective and grisly.

But for the desensitized,the film is 'tame' and not 'graphic enough' for them. So they want something that shows everything in minute detail.
Old 04-13-06, 12:43 PM
Banned

I am one person who has the Hostel dvd in my hands now. I can say there is hardly any difference with the R version shown in theatres, I just watched the dvd for a third time and I cannot find anything new... I saw it the first day it was released in theatres and it seems just about the same as this unrated version. Nothing in terms of new scenes at all...
Old 04-13-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so it probably is a few shots extended by a few seconds here and there.
Old 04-13-06, 05:46 PM

Just received my copy today from Sony..better late than never!
Old 04-19-06, 07:11 AM

i think hostel is a great dissapointment its overated!! the trailor shows all the good bits once you've seen the trailor you dont need to see the film!!! the film is a big let down its totally rubbish thought it was going to excellent after i seen the trailor as it has a great trailor just a shame the films not as good as the trailor makes you think its goin to be!! love toni xxx
Old 04-19-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

HOSTEL is a masterpiece of a horror movie. It's not about the gore or the scares type horror movie.
Old 04-19-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gwillios
i think hostel is a great dissapointment its overated!! the trailor shows all the good bits once you've seen the trailor you dont need to see the film!!! the film is a big let down its totally rubbish thought it was going to excellent after i seen the trailor as it has a great trailor just a shame the films not as good as the trailor makes you think its goin to be!! love toni xxx

Totally agree with this. The trailer made it look SO good, but it was easily the worst movie I've seen this year.
Old 04-19-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
27 seconds is so weak!
Not so fast... High Tension had about 45 seconds of additional footage added and made a huge difference.

If the MPAA forced 1 second to be removed from the film avoid an NC-17, I want that second back.
Old 04-19-06, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gwillios
very well siad and spellid. trailEr.