DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Just Friends DVD Review

Old 02-27-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just Friends DVD Review

The Just Friends DVD offers up some great features for a film that, to be honest, wasn't a big box office (nor critical) success. The menus are animated but thankfully you can use your DVD remote to skip right to the main menu...

Filmmakers' Commentary - Director Roger Kumble, writer Adam 'Tex' Davis and producers Chris Bender, Richard Brener, Cale Boyter and Jake Weiner provide their stories on the making of Just Friends. Overall, a funny track that has more entertainment value than technical, but still fun to listen to. The only problem was, these guys are seemingly good friends that they overlap each other quite a bit so it's difficult to hear what they're saying. However, you do get some neat trivia like Ashley Scott's (Into the Blue) bit part, song selections and shooting between LA and Canada.

Gag Reel - 8-minutes of line flubs, mistakes and all around zany antics on the set. When you get a funny man like Ryan Reynolds in the mix, it's a good time and it looks like the cast and crew were having fun.

Deleted/Alternate Scenes - There are six deleted or alternate scenes including "Red Bulb Records" with Reynolds' real life fiancée, Alanis Morrisette, "Day Date", "The Cheer" shows Reynolds and Smart perform the "Cookie Monster" cheer, "Christmas Eve", where Reynolds gets further embarrassed, "Christmas" and finally an "Alternate Ending". There's no change with how the film ends with the alternate version, but it does add a little more texture to Reynold's character and how his life in L.A. is not what it used to be. In one instance, he's having a good time with three hot chicks (part of this scene is in the trailer, "Those are awesome!") but realizes it's not for him. The scenes are accompanied with optional commentary and are approximately 12-minutes total.

If you're interested in reading the rest, click here

------

Overall, I actually liked the DVD better than the film itself so if you like special features, it is worth at least a rent...

Last edited by TheMovieman; 02-27-06 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-27-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Appreciated the review! Thought the movie offered a decent amount of laughs and I'm a fan of Reynolds, so I'll pick it up at some point
Old 02-27-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the movie is funny enough at certain points but I just thought the ending was pretty quick after so much. I actually found many of Anna Faris' scenes the funniest (the toothpaste, taser, etc ).

If you are a Ryan Reynolds fan, then this might be a good pickup in the first week on sale, others might want to either rent it or wait a few months for a 2 for $20 deal (don't know how often New Line are part of these types of sales) or 3 for $25 used at HV...
Old 03-13-06, 01:54 AM
Banned

the "jamie smiles" music video is pretty funny; and the movie is surprisingly heavy on the special features for such a fluff film.
Old 03-15-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this movie last night and I must say it was horrible. I didn't have any expectations but I didn't know it was going to be one of the worst movies I ever seen.
Old 03-16-06, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by QuikSilver
I saw this movie last night and I must say it was horrible. I didn't have any expectations but I didn't know it was going to be one of the worst movies I ever seen.
Different strokes for different folks.

I really liked Just Friends. Reminded me more of the teen flicks from the '80s than the crap we get today. It might've been better if it had an R-rating, but I dug the film nevertheless. Not a great film by any means, but an enjoyable way to pass 90 minutes.
Old 10-07-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I absolutely loved this movie. Had some seriously laugh out loud moments. Thought Ryan Reynolds was on 'Van Wilder' form and Anna Faris was similarly on the ball - I never thought she'd ever make me laugh so much. Nice to see the superb Chris Marquette from 'The Girl Next Door' delivering some great dialogue too. I think 'Just Friends' is this decade's 'There's Something About Mary'
Old 10-08-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also like the film. I get a kick out of Ryan Reynolds, and the interactions with his brother were pretty funny.
Old 10-11-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved it as well. Between this and Waiting, it's been a good Ryan Reynolds year for me.