Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is the Constant Gardener worth a blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-06, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

City of God was one of my favorite movies of all time. I am a little hesitant to buy the Constant Gardener because of the subject. Vitamins and Ralph Fiennes doesnt seem too sexy after a movie about brutal gangs in Brazil starring local kids. The reviews have been good but ive been burned before.

I love beautiful movies and COG, so Im wondering if it would be a good blind buy

Last edited by RonMexico; 01-28-06 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-28-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you liked City Of God, then yes. The style is similar and Ralph Fiennes' performance is nothing short of brilliant.
Old 01-28-06, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
If you liked City Of God, then yes. The style is similar and Ralph Fiennes' performance is nothing short of brilliant.
Thanks for the feedback
Old 01-29-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
Curious to check this one out as well. Is the liberalism really in-your-face or is that just touched upon?
Old 01-29-06, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Artman
Curious to check this one out as well. Is the liberalism really in-your-face or is that just touched upon?
Ralph Fiennes character is a bureaucrat, mouthpiece for the government; basically, he shuts up until he's told to say something prepared. As he goes on his journey, he meets various people who tell him - and the audience - about "how things really work", but that doesn't affect him as much as much as the information he can glean about his wife. The conflicts are less about liberals and conservatives as much as they are about a greedy rich sucking ife from the poor. Anyone who appreciates good filmmaking can appreciate The Constant Gardener, whatever their political stance.
Old 01-29-06, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Artman
Is the liberalism really in-your-face or is that just touched upon?
Huh? Exactly what is that statement meant to reflect? The Constant Gardener is as liberal as Platoon is pro-war!

With this said, the film has very little in common with City of God. The director uses a completely different approach to build up his story and the deductive scheme which Feinnes follows is nothing short of brilliant. One of the best films to come out of Germany/England in the last 10 years.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-29-06, 02:11 AM
Banned

Came across as one of those "political thrillers" that adults, who are looking to kill two hours, can appreciate, a la "The Interpreter". Moderately paced, with a somewhat fulfilling payoff.
Old 01-29-06, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Could not disagree more!! The only other film that impressed me as much as The Constant Gardener in terms of intelligent storytelling is probably M. Mann's The Insider.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-29-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Could not disagree more!! The only other film that impressed me as much as The Constant Gardener in terms of intelligent storytelling is probably M. Mann's The Insider.

Ciao,
Pro-B
The Tailor of Panama was quite good (another John Le Carre adaptation).
Old 01-29-06, 12:19 PM

Ciao,
Pro-B
Wow thats high praise
Old 01-29-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RonMexico
Wow thats high praise
... and deserved, too.

Heavens, you're going to put in the DVD and expect a visit from God now. I hope we're not building up your expectations too much.
Old 01-30-06, 01:42 AM

Ciao,
Pro-B
I agree and though Syriana was also up there in that regard as well as some similarities with Constant Gardener.
Old 01-30-06, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
... and deserved, too.

Heavens, you're going to put in the DVD and expect a visit from God now. I hope we're not building up your expectations too much.
I had some very high expectations when I first watched it. I absoluty loved City of God and was looking foward to another Meirelles film. Add that with a screenplay based on a John le Carré novel (which tend to adapt well in film) and starring Ralph Fiennes. I wish I would have watched it when it first came out in the theaters but I still enjoyed it very much on DVD.
Old 01-30-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was a very good movie and worth it. It was slow at some points, but it didn't make the film boring in any way.
Old 01-30-06, 02:07 PM

A very well mad movie, in all aspects. For reasons I have yet to pinpoint I just didn't enjoy it very much.
Old 01-30-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I blind bought this and yes, I feel it was worth it. The acting is very good, as is the story. It is moderately paced, not slow imo and has some very intriguing scenes.
Old 02-01-06, 09:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 941 Likes on 788 Posts
this was such a fantastic, knock you on your ass movie that captivated me. Ralph was just so good. finishing what she couldn't...he showed such a palette of emotion right down to the dramatic end. he was utterly amazing!

Ralph should have been nominated, moreso than Rachel.
Old 02-02-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
A very well mad movie, in all aspects. For reasons I have yet to pinpoint I just didn't enjoy it very much.
Yikes, talking about one of the most over rated movies of the year. Not nearly as good as City of God. I had high hopes for this one, but "art" it is not.
Old 02-02-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually prefer this film to City of God, though of course, both are incredible. Constant Gardener is in my top 3 for 2005.
Old 02-08-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This flick is a true one time watch. It's good ,but I can't see myself ever wanting to see it again..........
Old 02-12-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JaxComet
This flick is a true one time watch. It's good ,but I can't see myself ever wanting to see it again..........
what he said.