Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Chumscrubber'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 01-21-06, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Francis Rizzo III's DVD review of The Chumscrubber at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19796 and...

I was just going to ask if a review was going to be up for this - since it is pretty much an unnoticed film.

I first heard about this film only because I knew James Horner was scoring it, and therefore became interested...but with a title like 'Chumscrubber', who doesn't wonder to themselves, 'umm...what? Huh?'

I enjoyed this film, and just don't understand why it just slipped on by with no fanfare at all. A suburban dramedy with pill popping kids, a dolphin motif and a headless teenage crime fighter? I guess it was hard to market...
Old 01-24-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't care for it, myself, though it certainly had potential with that cast. I apparently grew up too sheltered or something, because movies like this, Thirteen, Ken Park and the like just annoy and frustrate the hell out of me. Everyone is so irritating, shallow, and flat-out stupid; to me these seem like characters out of an absurd fantasy -- although they're probably more real than I'd like to believe.

I do generally enjoy a good coming-of-age film, but the modern (i.e. '90s and '00s) take on the theme apparently just isn't for my taste.