Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

STARGATE-The TV Series (good blind buy?)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-05, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying the complete Stargate series from DDD with their "buy 1 get 1 free" sale. The question is: I vaguely remember seeing the pilot and that's it. I remember it being OK, but kinda of cheezy. How does the entire series compare to other modern SF shows?

For example, I like Firefly, Star TrekS9. Didn't like Star Trek: Voyager. Couldn't get into Babylon 5. Love the original Star Trek.
Old 12-08-05, 05:15 PM

Getting the entire 8 seasons for ~$15-$16 each (after taking into consideration the B1G1F pricing) is a heck of a deal. Great show! It keeps getting better year after year.

Do it!
Old 12-08-05, 05:27 PM
Dai

My wife and I just started getting into watching SG1 over the summer. We're up to the beginning of Season 6 right now and we're loving it!!

I just went out and bought Seasons 6-8 last night but if you buy Season 8, remember to check disc 5 for the Threads episode. Sony's offer only last until the end of January.
Old 12-08-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SG-1 is the longest SciFi primetime series for good reason. If you can, also get Farscape, not a Sony show but un-frellin-believable. Great shows.
Old 12-08-05, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I just went out and bought Seasons 6-8 last night but if you buy Season 8, remember to check disc 5 for the Threads episode. Sony's offer only last until the end of January."

Will there be new Season 8 sets with a corrected disc 5? I've been holding off buying Season 8 for this reason.
Old 12-08-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stargate is a great TV show. Im up to season 5 at moment. Of course there are the odd duff episode but on the whole its worth watching.

The pilot on dvd is also uncut from what I remember (more breast shots than i think would be allowed on tv )

Maybe if you can, rent the first disc and see if it hooks you.
Old 12-08-05, 05:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definately, assuming you like sci-fi Just remember it starts slow. It doesn't really kick into full gear until around season 3 or 4. However they do a good job of building on the back story from the first couple of seasons.

BTW regarding the pilot it was originally on Showtime and rated R, everything else is NR, in case you have kids around.

Just curious what didn't you like about B5?

Finally this really should be in the Recommendations forum
Old 12-08-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh and is this offer available to us in canada ?. Ive never used DDD before, how are they ? All the items seem to be on backorder so would I be waiting months for them to arrive ?

Last edited by Dazed; 12-08-05 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-08-05, 06:04 PM
Dai

The problem with S8D5 is the episode Threads.
Apparently, there's 2 versions of it. A 43 minute version and a 60 minute version.

The original pressings have the 43 minute version and you can go to this link:

http://www.checkmyrebate.com/Details.asp?promo=AAN

to obtain the new disc.

Dazed, this is open to all US and Canadian customers. I just sent my POP in this morning!
Old 12-08-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dai
Dazed, this is open to all US and Canadian customers. I just sent my POP in this morning!
Great, I may have to order season 6, 7, 8 and maybe seinfeld 1.

Oh and how much postage did you pay ? Im in BC too. Ive yet to create an account with them so they just say free to US.

Sucks about the threads being the short version, hopefully the updated disc is available to us up north as well

Thanks.
Old 12-08-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dazed

Ive never used DDD before, how are they ?
Check the Store Forum and DVD Talk for more info, but in short, they used to be fantastic but are now far from it. It's pretty unlikely they'll rip you off, but you may face some hassle. I know my last 3 orders from them have all had problems, and I'm a pretty patient and reasonable customer. Reading the forums, I see I'm not alone. At these prices, though, it's probably worth it. They're not scam artists or anything, but it seems like they're not hiring the sharpest people either. Good luck.

Dazed

All the items seem to be on backorder so would I be waiting months for them to arrive ?
Could be. They're slow to process orders and slow to ship right now. I had a recent order that was not on backorder take 11 days to "process" followed by the week+ it took in transit. Add in a trip to Canada, and it could be a while. Again, though, at these prices ...

das
Old 12-08-05, 10:48 PM

[QUOTE=nemein]

Just curious what didn't you like about B5?QUOTE]

Nothing too dramatic, just never got into it. I've got the first two seasons on dvd, and I watched about the first 1/2 of the first season. Just didn't grab me.

Personally, I prefer shows with more of a human element and less of the grand political epic that the show followed. Which is why I liked the first three Star Wars movies (episodes 4-6) more than the recent ones. 1-3 got lost with all of the discussions of the empire, and who was stabbing who in the back and who was loyal and who wasn't.

Some people like those types of stories, they just never really did much for me.

The other minor gripe I had was that the stories they were trying to tell often times were way beyond the budgets they had. So you would have a riot with what looked like six people. These things would knock me out of the reality of the show.

That said, I admire the fact that from what I've read the entire series is one great big story arc, and it finishes when the story finishes. To be honest, I'll probably get around to watching the whole series some day. It's just not on my must see list right now.
Old 12-08-05, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Check the Store Forum and DVD Talk for more info, but in short, they used to be fantastic but are now far from it. It's pretty unlikely they'll rip you off, but you may face some hassle. I know my last 3 orders from them have all had problems, and I'm a pretty patient and reasonable customer. Reading the forums, I see I'm not alone. At these prices, though, it's probably worth it. They're not scam artists or anything, but it seems like they're not hiring the sharpest people either. Good luck.
Well, this is a topic that is near, and not dear, to my heart. If there is anything that is really stopping me from taking advantage of this deal is the fact that Deep Discount has gone from a great company to a lousy one. Ordering from them is a risky gamble. It seems as though most people have no problem, but there is a large percentage that experience problems. Which is where Deep Discount really fails. Their customer service is a joke. If you email them, they will ignore you. If you call...good luck.

I agree, they don't seem like rip-off artists, just a company that can't get their act together. I assume that all of their sales are to capture a large portion of the market, but I think it might end up back-firing on them with all the angry customers who have had problems with them.
Old 12-08-05, 11:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nothing too dramatic, just never got into it. I've got the first two seasons on dvd, and I watched about the first 1/2 of the first season. Just didn't grab me.

Personally, I prefer shows with more of a human element and less of the grand political epic that the show followed.
This is a lot of politics in B5 so that might keep you from really enjoying it but there is definately a lot of "human" element too. In particular the changing relationship between G'kar and Londo is nicely done. All the other characters run through a nice range of emotions/experiences as the series plays out as well. As w/ Stargate the 1st season of B5 is the weakest. It really didn't kick into full gear until about 1/2 way through the 2nd season. Since you have the first two seasons you might as well finish watching them and see if you haven't changed your mind by then
Old 12-09-05, 10:57 AM
Dai

Originally Posted by Dazed
Great, I may have to order season 6, 7, 8 and maybe seinfeld 1.

Oh and how much postage did you pay ? Im in BC too. Ive yet to create an account with them so they just say free to US.

Sucks about the threads being the short version, hopefully the updated disc is available to us up north as well

Thanks.
Well, I only sent in the proof of purchase, so all it cost me was a stamp to the US.
I chose not to send in the actual disc as that way i'll have both versions of the episode!

I'll just swap out the cover into a double DVD case!

BTW, the offer is only good until the end of january, that's why I decided to go ahead and buy it right away.
Old 12-10-05, 11:15 AM

They are all out of stock/on backorder currently at DDD -- I guess a fair number of people bit on this deal.

I'm not sure if they raised their price this week, but the current total is $139.45 for all 8 seasons. (Especially vs. $300.92 at Amazon and $405.67+tax retail).

This is also a blind buy for me, but my wife and I generally like Sci-Fi.