DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Island DVD Reviews?

Old 12-19-05, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Obviously you do!!

No one is talking about making French DVDs!! These are Canadian DVDs that your fellow countrymen are entitled to have by law with French tracks. Quite a difference I would say!!

And your statement is just as dismissive as denouncing Hard of Hearing tracks in favor for better Audio/Video quality which as far as I am concerned should be required on all DVDs by law (here's another group of people that also believe it or not exists).

Ciao,
Pro-B
You got me 100% right man. Screw everyone else....I want *all* dvds to conform to my wants. me me me.
Old 12-19-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Search for "Parts: The Clonus Horror".
Am I the only that gets a "Logan's Run" vibe?
Old 12-19-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Believe it or not there are people who need French tracks on Canadian produced DVDs. Same goes for covers as well.
No one "needs" a dub track, except the lazy or illiterate, who don't deserve to have their desires catered to.

Subtitles are a different matter, and take up so little disc space that they would never force the exclusion of another feature on the disc the way that a stupid dub will.
Old 12-19-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Josh Z
No one "needs" a dub track, except the lazy or illiterate, who don't deserve to have their desires catered to.
That is entirely your opinion which has nothing to do with reality. For the record I happen to know a person who is legally blind and regularly "listens" to dubs. I suppose he does not deserve to have his desire catered to.

Either way, I am not willing to discuss this issue any further. However, before someone makes yet another incorrect conclussion I am not an avid supporter of dub-only releases.

Pro-B
Old 12-20-05, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really liked The Island.
Old 12-20-05, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Aren't there always specific cases where one particular group or selection of people may be left out? I understand attempting to deliver a product to the broadest range of people as possible, but in this particular case, I think it's a fair complaint. My uninformed guess is that more people in Canda would appreciate a 5.1 English track over a 5.1 French track. Or a French dub.
Old 12-20-05, 02:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Am I the only that gets a "Logan's Run" vibe?
Well, Sci-Fi is the most derivative of the movie genres. Ironically, only so much ingenuity can be squeezed out of a genre that supposidly explores the great unknown. It's got a "Logan's Run" vibe, granted, but the story is a lot more involved, and interesting.
Old 12-20-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is entirely your opinion which has nothing to do with reality. For the record I happen to know a person who is legally blind and regularly "listens" to dubs. I suppose he does not deserve to have his desire catered to.
I am sorry for your friend and did not mean to insult him/her. However, as politically-correct as we try to make the world these days, not every product on Earth can or should be formatted to address every single special-needs minority. Movies are and audio/visual medium and are designed to be watched by people with both of those senses. What if your friend had neither sight nor hearing? Should all movies be required by law to include a Braile feel-along printout? What if he had no sight, no hearing, and no hands? What to do?!

It's a slippery slope and at a certain point we just have to say, "I'm sorry, but this product isn't for everyone."
Old 12-20-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It's a slippery slope and at a certain point we just have to say, "I'm sorry, but this product isn't for everyone."

Josh:

Why do you try to curve the thread in a different direction? First of all you chose to reply only to a portion of Jhosk’s criticism which applies to “tracks”. The entire sentence reads packaging as well. Second of all the poster implied that these are French dvds which is not the case. In fact nowhere in my posts did I state that French dubs are needed. I mentioned that French tracks are required by law on Canadian DVDs as it is the case with the labels, covers, etc. (subtitles tracks??)

Only a post later you chose to argue that no one needs dubs?? Why??...when I was clearly not defending dubs.

I really don’t see what is the point of us arguing about something no one disagreed with in the first place. As to the dismissive nature of your latest post…I simply choose not to comment on it, it speaks for itself.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-20-05 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-21-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Generally when one mentions a "French track" they are referring to an audio dub, not to subtitles.

No movie is required to have a French dub by Canadian law. They are required to have a "French language option", which would mean either a dub or subtitles, plus French text on the packaging.
Old 12-21-05, 12:08 PM

Josh:

Why do you try to curve the thread in a different direction? First of all you chose to reply only to a portion of Jhosk’s criticism which applies to “tracks”. The entire sentence reads packaging as well. Second of all the poster implied that these are French dvds which is not the case. In fact nowhere in my posts did I state that French dubs are needed. I mentioned that French tracks are required by law on Canadian DVDs as it is the case with the labels, covers, etc. (subtitles tracks??)

Only a post later you chose to argue that no one needs dubs?? Why??...when I was clearly not defending dubs.

I really don’t see what is the point of us arguing about something no one disagreed with in the first place. As to the dismissive nature of your latest post…I simply choose not to comment on it, it speaks for itself.

Pro-B
Dude, are you always this confrontation ?? I simply posted that it was a pain in the butt to have an english dolby 5.1 track lost in favor of a french dolby 5.1 track. You twisted my words and made it seem like I hate the french speaking portion of Canada. It had NOTHING to do with my intention. In fact my wife is half french and she would gladly listen to the English track over the french dubbed track any day of the week. My point is that sucks to lose a better audio track.
Old 12-21-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by JHosk
Dude, are you always this confrontation ?? I simply posted that it was a pain in the butt to have an english dolby 5.1 track lost in favor of a french dolby 5.1 track. You twisted my words and made it seem like I hate the french speaking portion of Canada. It had NOTHING to do with my intention. In fact my wife is half french and she would gladly listen to the English track over the french dubbed track any day of the week. My point is that sucks to lose a better audio track.

One last comment....I am not always this confrontaitonal. I am also not in love with the French idea...arguing about or defending anything that has to do with them. In fact, I am not French!! It gets old, at least for me, however that on this forum it is somewhat trendy to slam a complain or two to anything French and whine how they deprive the larger English speaking portions of Canada. (Just run a search of "bilingual covers" to see how many threads you would come up with). These people are part of your country and if it means that you would have to sacrifice something (...be it a more elaborate audio track on a cheap DVD or cover) then so be it.

Back to the original topic now....

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-21-05 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-26-05, 11:58 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
The movie was a bomb that forced the "SKG" in "Dreamworks SKG" to sell their studio to Paramount. I doubt anyone wants to revisit the movie.
I watched it last night and couldn't wait for it to end. What an awful, awful movie. It made the previous movie I had watched, Alien vs Predator, look like Lawrence of Arabia in comparison.

I thought The Rock was bad (I knew enough to stay away from Bad Boys 2), but this was a new low for Michael Bay. If Criterion puts this one out I'm done with them!
Old 12-28-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn... I'm about to spin this one up tonight. I guess I'm in for something painful.
Old 12-28-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
Damn... I'm about to spin this one up tonight. I guess I'm in for something painful.
I don't know about that. Many comments here when the movie came out were positive. I'd say the majority were, in fact. The Island wasn't anything special, but I didn't think it was anything particularly bad either that would make you cringe. Not unlike, say certain scenes in Pearl Harbor.

For instance, X thought the Rock was bad, while I think that's probably one of my Top 5 favorite action movies.
Old 12-28-05, 03:25 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing more opinions on it.

It wasn't so bad I turned it off (I like shooting, car chases/wrecks, explosions, mayhem) as much as the next guy. However I've only given up on a few movies in the middle over many years. (I should probably do that more often.)

But I don't like really stupid movies where they insult you by thinking they'll get away with totally implausible occurrences and you feel dumber for having seen them.
Old 12-28-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, the bad comments convinced me to watch the film even sooner than expected...

My take? It was 'meh'. It works as a stupid, popcorn action flick. But it definitely could have been much more. Bay takes some pretty heavy (and topical) material and, after an intriging setup, ignores it and creates a hyper-action film. Decent enough for what it is, but not great. I felt much the same way after watching I, Robot.

I hate, hate, hate some of his films, but not this one. I own (and enjoy) Armageddon. The Rock is decent, but don't own it and have only seen it twice. I'd put this one just below that -- I have really no interest in owning or even watching it again... but I didn't hate it.

Honestly, I enjoyed Clonus more than this one. Even though it was low-budget and clunky, it seemed to respect the concept more, and explore it, rather than moving quickly to the next gun battle/car chase. And the creators of that film definitely deserve a paycheck here... The lsland absolutely is a remake of that film -- some portions are nearly shot-by-shot identical.
Old 12-28-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the set up is acutally quite long before the movie turns into "michael bay" mode (ala chases, gun fights ect.
Old 12-28-05, 10:32 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

i actually enjoyed the movie, i liked all of bay's flicks.
Old 12-29-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Windtalkers was a huge bomb and MGM re-visited it with a 3 disc director's cut special edition. So, I wouldn't say it's impossible that Dreamworks will put out an upgrade 6 months from now. I'm sure they shot alot of behind the scenes material for this movie.
Old 12-29-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed it for what is was but I agree if your the type of person that says give me a break alot in action movies this one will drive you insane! Abit predictable as well but still fun.
Old 01-03-06, 03:38 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not really a good film, but the girls are hot in it at least
Old 01-06-06, 07:53 PM

The biggest problem with this film is that the first half was very good. It was suspenseful without forced tension. The last half turned into Bad Boys 2 & Enemy of the State, it seems like some of the action scenes were directly lifted from them.