Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Death to the Supermodels'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 11-20-05, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Scott Weinberg's DVD review of Death to the Supermodels at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18825 and...I think he saw a different movie. I got an advance copy of the DVD from a friend who owns a video store because I love Jaime Pressly. I also read a review of the film in Variety on-line, which is an industry standard. The Variety reviewer said the film was really funny and offered "belly laughs." It does. Scott Weinberg says it's one of the worst films he's ever seen. Let's see, a credible source, Variety, says it's a funny film. A raging wannabe critic on the internet says it's horrible. Who's more credible?

I laughed out loud at least a dozen times. It's a funny spoof of supermodels. The scene with the supermodel who takes anal steroids to give her a fuller butt is hilarious. The killer poisons her steroids and the model farts herself to death. LOL!

Jaime's great. She hears voices in her head throughout the film and plays many of her scenes with this imaginary character. Really clever.

Brooke Burns is also really funny as the German supermodel with bad hygiense. And Gunther and Gerd, the asexual photographers, are off the hook. Their spooning scene is classic.

Sorry, Scott, you're wrong. And I'm not just the only one who disagrees. You may want to read what real reviewers have to say about a film before you begin your internet raging.
Old 11-20-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by dennisp
Sorry, Scott, you're wrong. And I'm not just the only one who disagrees. You may want to read what real reviewers have to say about a film before you begin your internet raging.
Opinions aren't wrong.

So, what, Variety likes it, therefore everyone must march in lockstep?
Old 11-20-05, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adam, don't bother. This is probably some Sony shill or someone somehow connected to the flick, considering that he JUST registered and that he's somehow praising this amazingly awful movie.

But on the off-chance that this person is NOT some intern clacking away in a Sony office or the director's hyperactive nephew, I'll respond politely:

1. I just searched Variety up and down and found no review of this movie. I'm not saying it isn't there; I'm just saying I'd like to read it.

2. Yes, Variety is absolutely an "industry standard," and anyone who reads the magazine regularly knows that it rates films almost exclusively on their potential profitability. They do have some excellent writers at that site, but they're not exactly known for being truly critical when a piece of shit really deserves it. It's an INDUSTRY paper, which means its in their best interests to not beat anyone or anything too harshly.

3. I should "read what real reviewers have to say about a film before you begin your internet raging"??? So what you're saying is: I shouldn't have watched the film, given it a fair shake, and then offered my own honest opinion. What I should have done is watch the movie, and then read OTHER people's opinions before deciding what I should write. That's what you think I should do?

Sorry, no.

And as far as your assertion that I'm more of a "rager" than a "critic," well, if having to praise unimaginable garbage like Death to the Supermodels is the only way to be considered a movie critic, then fine. I'm a rager.

I laughed out loud at least a dozen times. It's a funny spoof of supermodels. The scene with the supermodel who takes anal steroids to give her a fuller butt is hilarious. The killer poisons her steroids and the model farts herself to death. LOL!

Jaime's great. She hears voices in her head throughout the film and plays many of her scenes with this imaginary character. Really clever.

Brooke Burns is also really funny as the German supermodel with bad hygiense. And Gunther and Gerd, the asexual photographers, are off the hook. Their spooning scene is classic.
Exactly.

I challenge a few brave DVDTalkers to rent this thing when it hits the shelves and then come back here and share your opinions. Please do let me know if you thought I was "too hard" on this "funny, classic, hilarious, clever, off-the-hook belly-laugh" provider.

Not that I need my own opinion validated by those of other people, but I think this would make a fun conversation thread. Those who think Death to the Supermodels is hilarious, and those who think it is atrocious.

Sorry, "dennisp," you're wrong. The movie's a piece of shit, and you could put me up against Roger Ebert, Pauline Kael, and the most "credible" critic you can come up with -- and I'd win that argument. Easily.

But yeah. The chick's got smelly, hairy armpits. Comedy nirvana.

Last edited by Scott Weinberg; 11-20-05 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-20-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think David Manning has joined DVDTalk.
Old 11-20-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dennisp
The scene with the supermodel who takes anal steroids to give her a fuller butt is hilarious. The killer poisons her steroids and the model farts herself to death. LOL!
HIL-LARIOUS!!!!

*orders a million copies*
Old 11-20-05, 09:28 PM
Registered

Yep street team.

Same review posted at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BBOUWM/dvdtalk

NYTimes:
http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movie...ml?v_id=335431

Yahoo Movies:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808728935/user

It's one thing to disagree with one of our reviews... But another to slam our reviewer's creditability while promoting a title.

You should be ashamed of yourself.
Old 11-21-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The killer poisons her steroids and the model farts herself to death. LOL!
I respectfully disagree with your LOL.
Old 11-29-05, 07:22 PM

Weinberg's review goes too easy on this incredibly awful film. Even by the standards of low budget, low brow comedy, this thing is in a class of its own. Especially notable is the choice to only lampoon things that have been stale targets for at least ten years. Maybe it took that long to find someone lame enough to finance this monstrosity.
Old 12-05-05, 12:36 PM

Death to the Viewers

My limited knowledge of film makes me believe it was self financed, and regrettably by the director who may believe he is a gift to comedy...
Old 09-24-06, 10:19 AM
Cool New Member

Well no one has posted to this thread in a while so I will ....

I bought DTSM in the bargin bin at the local video store and I thought hey Jamie Pressley, Brooke Burns a couple of hottie this has got to be good ...

Well here is my review from Amazon ...

I like every actor/actress in this movie that I know of and I really tried to like it, but if a movie ever needed gratuitous nude scenes this was the one, but alas it had but one short meaningless nude scene performed by a unknown and it was her only scene. Sadly that was one of the films highlights. Now I say that because if it had few nude scenes thrown in here and there then the film would be at least veiwable or have fleeting moments of sophmoric humor ... somewhat. It did have a plot, a very weak, very predicable plot that left no room for surprises or guess work unless perhaps you are a little challenged mentally. The surprise ending was lackluster and overall a very poor effort for those involved. It did have Taylor Negron who as a rule is pretty funny, but I'm guessing the budget on this movie was so low that they couldn't afford to pay him to talk as he played a mute and Matt Winston said all his lines. The scenes with Matt Winston (Gerd) and Taylor Negron (Gunther) offered a few chuckles, but for rest of the cast Jaime Pressly, Brooke Burns, Maria Arcé, Sung Hi Lee and others they seemed painfully out of place. Granted they are very easy on the eyes, but fall far from comedy they are trying so hard to perform. Even the quasi evil Merle played by Diane Delano who you might remember as Officer Barbara Semanski from "Northern Exposure" failed to deliver a quality performance it was for the most part her reviving her role as Semanski.
Overall the movie rambles and roams around never really grabbing your attention or tickling your funny bone. For all of it's effort to be funny it in the end falls to do so. Now for the record, I can handle a bad movie , I can handle really bad movies and I even enjoy them time to time, but somehow I doubt this movie will last long on my bad movie collection for it doesn't make it into the guilty pleasure or midnight movie class of films. Catch it on Comedy Central if you have to see it, it should be there real soon, but don't waste your money on it unless you can rent it for free.
The DVD extras are thin and not very funny, the overall transfer and sound is good but not worth the $3.00 I paid for it.

Skip it ...