Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

How's the show the Outer Limits?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that the '95 version of the TV show the Outer Limits is being released on DVD today. I seem to remember bits and pieces of the show when it was on; it used to be on really early in the morning over here.

I'm a huge fan of the X-Files, and while I realize it's probably tough to compare the two series, would it be a safe bet that I'd like it based on that? Is anyone else getting the series today? Any episodes that stood out in your guys' minds?
Old 11-01-05, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
would it be a safe bet that I'd like it based on that?
Nope, completely different show/format/everything. They do try at the end to tie a lot of the eps into an overall "this is the world" kind of sign off eps (really well done for an anthology show too IMHO) but there's no overall characters/storylines/arcs. Really your best comparisons are the old OL series, and the various incarnations of the Twilight Zone. The main difference has always been the TZ was usually more about "this could be happening down the street from you" and OL was usually more "sci-fi based" but even that characterization doesn't always hold. If you are unsure whether or not you'll like it there are several disks already out (they just now started releasing season sets, everything before was "collections") that you can check out. If you do like TZ you'll probably like it. If you like some of the stand alone stories in X-Files and not the character development you may like but as you said there's really no comparison.

BTW welcome to DVDtalk
Old 11-01-05, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nemein,

Thanks for the response and the welcome! I tend to like a lot of the stand alone episodes of the X-Files too, so this just might be down my road. I watched a few episodes back in the day and liked them, so I might give it a shot. If not I'll check out one of the already released disks.

Anyway, thanks again.