Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Lost-Is it worth a blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never seen any of the episodes from the hearlded first season. I am a big fan of shows that are suspensful and episodes that build on one another. Should I blind buy this when it comes out on September 6th? I literally no nothing about this show other than it stars Dominic Monaghan(Lord of the Rings) and there is a crash on an island. That's it!!!! Should I dive into this one?

Last edited by Dalvin; 08-25-05 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-25-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YES. Buy it now.
Old 08-25-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Absofuckinglutely
Old 08-25-05, 05:18 PM

Ummm YEAH!!!!!! if I were you I'd lock myself in the house and watch the whole thing before the second season starts
Old 08-25-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only started watching with the re-runs this summer. But I got frustrated when they started skipping episodes (obviously unavoidable). So I canceled my season pass and pre-ordered the DVDs. I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends.
Old 08-25-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In my humble opinion, Lost is currently the best show on network television. People seeing this show for the first time on dvd are very lucky.....I am sure it will be a much more rewarding experience to be able to watch them one after the other...
Old 08-25-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
I'm thinking about getting this one as well... I only saw the opener which I thought was great - does the majority of the season hold up to that? How many episodes is the creature(s) in?
Old 08-25-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
I'm thinking about getting this one as well... I only saw the opener which I thought was great - does the majority of the season hold up to that?
I would personally say "no". There's only one episode I found to be as outstanding as the pilot -- "Walkabout". That's not to say that those are the only worthwhile episodes, but I didn't find that any others even came close to those.

As for your other question, if you're hoping for an unobscured look, you're not going to like the answer.
Old 08-26-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to say I wasn't too thrilled with the show the first time through. I started the season about 5 episodes into the first run of it. BUT I decided to give it another shot when they began the summer replays and I have to say that now I am really in love with it. I have it pre-ordered at amazon.
Old 08-26-05, 08:04 AM

I'm sure it'll play much better on DVD since you don't have those annoying month-long breaks between certain episodes. That and you won't have to wait all summer for Season 2 to begin so you can hopefully get some answers to all the mysteries(I ain't holding my breath though).

For the record, I thought Season 1 started out great but lost a ton of momentum in the last 3rd of the year. And that finale was a joke save for one shocking scene.
Old 08-26-05, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I only started watching with the re-runs this summer. But I got frustrated when they started skipping episodes (obviously unavoidable). So I canceled my season pass and pre-ordered the DVDs. I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends.
I was wathing it also. At least I got to see about a quarter of the season. So now I just need to rent the rest of them before season 2.

Great show!
Old 08-30-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Not only do I recommend it highly, but I think the DVD set is terrific. My only recommendation if you have not seen the series already is to go in not knowing anything beyond the basics.
Old 08-30-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

dvdmovie1

Not only do I recommend it highly, but I think the DVD set is terrific. My only recommendation if you have not seen the series already is to go in not knowing anything beyond the basics.
I went ridiculously out of my way in my review to avoid talking about any real specifics, and then I see the promos ABC is running to promote Season 2. So much for that.

das
Old 08-30-05, 12:00 PM
Retired

I'd say so. It's a great show. Though I'm passing on the DVDs for now as I'm not big on TV on DVD and was frustrated slightly with the lack of progression.

If things pick up this year I'll pick it up later perhaps.
Old 08-30-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I went ridiculously out of my way in my review to avoid talking about any real specifics, and then I see the promos ABC is running to promote Season 2. So much for that.
What about the season 2 promo on the discs themselves? I've only seen the first half of the season and will finish it on DVD. Do I need to be concerned about that promo on the discs or is it free of spoilers?
Old 08-30-05, 02:29 PM

Yes
Old 08-30-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

MEJHarrison

What about the season 2 promo on the discs themselves? I've only seen the first half of the season and will finish it on DVD. Do I need to be concerned about that promo on the discs or is it free of spoilers?
Good question. I didn't think to address that. Aside from the most mundane of details (and I mean really obvious stuff that has nothing to do with the first season's plot), the teaser for Season 2 is completely spoiler free. It is a teaser for the second season, though, so it does give a small glimpse into the future. In fact, you've likely already seen it. It's the (quote)
Spoiler:
"They're not the survivors they thought they were!"
teaser.

However, while it isn't spoilerific for the first season, I'm not sure I'd bother watching it. It really doesn't do much other than get your heart racing in anticipation for the upcoming season premiere.

das
Old 08-31-05, 02:20 PM
Cool New Member

If you believe the journey is more important than the destination then you will love the show.
Old 08-31-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

However, while it isn't spoilerific for the first season, I'm not sure I'd bother watching it. It really doesn't do much other than get your heart racing in anticipation for the upcoming season premiere.
Gracias Sr. Presidente!

No I've not seen any ads for season 2 yet. So I'm looking forward to seeing this. And I'm not worried about the anticipation since I'll have season 1 to keep me busy.
Old 08-31-05, 04:33 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd say pick it up, but with these shows I can't really watch them more than once
Old 08-31-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At least this isn't like the teaser for season 3 of alias on disc 1 of season 2 (that one gave away EVERYTHING.
Old 08-31-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In fact, you've likely already seen it.
No, but I should on Friday. I got my shipping notice today.
Old 08-31-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy Buy Buy and Buy
Old 09-01-05, 03:10 AM

I have only seen a few episodes and I am getting it. I blind bought Alais and I ended up buying all three seasons and liking it. So the same will prob work for me when I buy this blind, but I will have to wait a while before I buy it.
Old 09-03-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy it now, buy it quick, and buy it cheap. Can't wait for Season 2. If it wasn't for Lost I would have given up on TV altogether last year. Although I've read some info on all of the new series starting this coming season and a few of them sound really promising.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.