Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Collector's Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read Scott Weinberg's DVD review of The Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Collector's Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=17280 and...
this is regarding the video quality
"Video: These are the original Fox broadcasts, one game per disc, which means you're getting live-television video quality in the standard fullscreen format. Still, the picture quality's pretty good, at least as good as it looked last October."
in my personal opinion, the longer games(anything over 3.5 hours) do suffer through compression (esspecially in replays) and there is some grain in closeups as well, while the shorter games (about 2.5 hours)look great.
Old 08-23-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
$130 for the set, and it's not even widescreen?

I'm a diehard Sox fan, but no thanks....
Old 08-23-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was also surprised by the video portion of this review. This DVD set is FANTASTIC and highly-recommended. But the video was the most obviously disappointing part.

1. They didn't use the HD broadcasts, which would have been widescreen and better quality.
2. Even accepting the first point and moving on, the video is soft and hazy. My first thought when I put in my first disc (game 7 of the ALCS) was "Wow, this looks like crap." I got used to it, but that isn't a good first impression.

Again, fantastic set, and I'm not going to complain too hard about it -- it's great to have all of the games (and lots of extras) all in one neat package. But they definitely deserve a slap on the wrist for the video quality.
Old 08-23-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect this will please some... but not those of us who're totally spoiled by NESN-HD! Ugh, I can barely watch Fox's so-called "HD", so this full-frame SD stuff ain't gonna cut it. Hard to understand why they'd go the cheap route, but easy to reject it.