DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Immortal'

Old 08-02-05, 04:08 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD Talk review of 'Immortal'

I read Joshua Zyber's DVD review of Immortal at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16750 and...have never seen a worse mismatch of reviewer and movie.

I'll merely say that if you like the work of Bilal, you'll know what to expect from this movie. Like his comics, it's a mental journey well worth the trip.
Old 08-02-05, 04:56 PM
STC
Cool New Member

I rented this movie cause the box looked pretty cool, and theres a cool looking Kingdom Come'ish Hawkman lookalike on the back cover. I read the lil blurb on the back and sounded interesting.

Boy was I wrong. I watched 10 mins then shipped back the DVD. Thank god I didnt actually drive to the store and rent this POS.

Last edited by STC; 08-02-05 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-03-05, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

From the review:

I find it impossible to believe that anyone could enjoy or think that Immortal is a good movie.
I'd heard all kinds of disappointing comments about the film. However, I gave it a play this weekend, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Yes, some of the CGI mixed with live actors was odd-looking. But I found the story interesting and was never bored.
Old 08-03-05, 08:25 AM

I can only assume that the comics were equally terrible, though after this I have absolutely no desire to verify that for myself.
Maybe you should have. Bilal is one of the greatest writer from the French/Belgian "school".
His work is already considered "Classic".

To be honest I do prefer Moebius and his 6 volume work called "L'Incal".
But you probably never heard of him anyway.
Old 08-03-05, 09:10 AM

Boy was I wrong. I watched 10 mins then shipped back the DVD. Thank god I didnt actually drive to the store and rent this POS.
I agree. This is one of the few movies I've actually turned off since I didn't want to waste the time on it. Maybe if I was familiar w/ the comics it would have made more sense but as it was it seemed to be all over the place w/ bad visuals[1] to boot.

[1] As in very obviously looking CGI, at times it seemed more like one of those CG demo shorts, and bad live/GC interaction.
Old 08-03-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even if Bilal is a brilliant comic artist, he's a downright terrible filmmaker and should never be allowed to direct again. That's all I have to say in my defense.