DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Your Anime Recommendations?

Old 08-12-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Perfect Blue (even though the region 1 DVD is lackluster)
What is it about the R1 that makes it so lackluster, this is on my list of Anime to watch because it was the same people that did the animation for "Millenium Actress" I'll go ahead and get the asian release if the R1 isn't worth watching.
Old 08-12-05, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by kakihara1
What is it about the R1 that makes it so lackluster, this is on my list of Anime to watch because it was the same people that did the animation for "Millenium Actress" I'll go ahead and get the asian release if the R1 isn't worth watching.
The transfer is non-anamorphic and there's not much along the lines of extras.

You might be a bit disappointed by Perfect Blue if you're expecting something as lushly-animated as Millenium Actress; it was produced on a much smaller budget, and the animation suffers as a result.
Old 08-13-05, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rurouni Kenshin OVAs: Trust and Betrayal. Not that damn crappy tv show but these are the ovas about kenshin, it explains how he gets his scar and everything. Its about him when he was a manslayer and held the name battousai. Its so good, ANY anime site you goto it is rated within the top 5 animes easily. Its 2 dvds one is called Trust and other is Betrayal.
Cowboy Bebop, both tv and the movie
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ghost in the Shell: 2nd Gig when its release on dvd i guess. I'm currently watching if you like first GitS you would definately like this.
Hellsing: this is a fan favorite for the american crowd.
Trigun: yet another fan favorite for the american crowd
Old 08-13-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Excelesor
Rurouni Kenshin OVAs: Trust and Betrayal. Not that damn crappy tv show but these are the ovas about kenshin, it explains how he gets his scar and everything. Its about him when he was a manslayer and held the name battousai. Its so good, ANY anime site you goto it is rated within the top 5 animes easily. Its 2 dvds one is called Trust and other is Betrayal.

Yeah,awesome movie.Might want to note also that the name of the OVA's are Samurai X instead of Rurouni Kenshin.You can get the single DVD version too as the director's cut.Unfortunately the second OVA,Samurai X:The Motion Picture sucked major ass.I am almost done with the tv series then i get to check out the last movie.
Old 08-14-05, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Yeah,awesome movie.Might want to note also that the name of the OVA's are Samurai X instead of Rurouni Kenshin.You can get the single DVD version too as the director's cut.Unfortunately the second OVA,Samurai X:The Motion Picture sucked major ass.I am almost done with the tv series then i get to check out the last movie.
Yea its called Samurai X, Trust and Betrayal are damn good. But dude it would've alot better if you watched the TV series first, then Trust & Betrayal and finally Samurai X: Reflection. Watching in that order made it alot better since in the tv series you always here about his past and how good he was. Then you finally get to see it and him in action. The Reflection ova isn't that bad, it was alright.
Old 08-14-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Excelesor
Yea its called Samurai X, Trust and Betrayal are damn good. But dude it would've alot better if you watched the TV series first, then Trust & Betrayal and finally Samurai X: Reflection. Watching in that order made it alot better since in the tv series you always here about his past and how good he was. Then you finally get to see it and him in action. The Reflection ova isn't that bad, it was alright.

In hindsight maybe that is what i should have done.But at the time i figured i was supposed to watch T&B first because it was set before the series.

One thing about the series is it should have been a lot shorter.They stretched it out over way too many episodes.I mean jeez,there are fights that span multiple episodes for christ sake.Overall the series is good though.
Old 08-15-05, 09:25 AM

okay Excelesor and Maxflier can one of you guys put a list up for the Definitive viewing order for Samurai X? I just put the Four DVD set in my Netflix rental queue and I hate screwing up the order that I watch anime, actually I made a comment about that in an earlier post in this thread.

Does anyone know of a site that actually tells you what order you should be watching these types of series that have a mix of OVAs and TV series this shit can get confusing just like Inu-Yasha WTF 4 OVAs and a rediculously long series.........how the hell is someone who's just really getting into anime supposed to know what to watch first?

Oh by the way I just got done watching Mezzo it's pure crap stay far away from this one. The series introduces new plotlines every episode and then never answers a damn thing each new episode has basically nothing to do with the one before it and I've had a hell of a time not sleeping through the entire series.

GHackmann thanks for the Perfect Blue explanation I'm going to try to get an R3 release of it, I don't get too hung up on how pretty it all is, I'm really more into the stories although "Millenium Actress" was visually amazing. Anyhow can I just assume you have the R3 release for "Perfect Blue" and that you want to sell it to me for like $5 shipped?
Old 08-15-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The timeline for Kenshin goes like this:
The Trust and Betrayal OVA is a prequel to the entire series,but like Excelesor said it may be more interesting to watch it after.The series itself is made up of 3 equally long arcs which i guess are about 35 episodes each with the second OVA (Samurai X-The Motion Picture) coming after the second arc i'm pretty sure (so prolly around 70 episodes in).The final OVA (Reflections) comes after the series.
Hope that helps you.

Last edited by Maxflier; 08-15-05 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
The timeline for Kenshin goes like this:
The Trust and Betrayal OVA is a prequel to the entire series,but like Excelesor said it may be more interesting to watch it after.The series itself is made up of 3 equally long arcs which i guess are about 35 episodes each with the second OVA (Samurai X-The Motion Picture) coming after the second arc i'm pretty sure (so prolly around 70 episodes in).The final OVA (Reflections) comes after the series.
Hope that helps you.
Holy shit!!! it's that long? Well I guess I have my next month or so planned. Thanks for the clarification
Old 08-19-05, 10:00 AM

^^ Ummm Bump cause I like this thread dammit!! ^^

Give more recommendations
Old 08-19-05, 10:40 AM

Holy shit!!! it's that long? Well I guess I have my next month or so planned. Thanks for the clarification
One more note, watch it it Japanese with the subtitles. The English actors mangle some of the names and pronunciations and the acting sounds like something out of a 6th grade play.
Old 08-19-05, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by leest3
One more note, watch it it Japanese with the subtitles. The English actors mangle some of the names and pronunciations and the acting sounds like something out of a 6th grade play.
Yeah man I can't stand watching anime in English so that won't be a problem, that reminds me of all the people I know that watch asian movies in english and then rip them apart for bad acting............hmmm could it have something to do with the shitty as fuck voice acting? you make the call.
Old 08-19-05, 02:10 PM

Give more recommendations
Off the beaten path:
Boogiepop Phantom, a funky, scary series that has a decent live action prequel.
Princess Nine, a well-told, exciting series about a girls baseball team in Japan competing with the boys.
Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars. Very cool, if a little political, show about alien invasions centered around a middle school.
Shadow Star Narutaru, surprisingly twisted foray into a world of really %&$%ed up kids.
Old 08-19-05, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Tribbey
Off the beaten path:
Boogiepop Phantom, a funky, scary series that has a decent live action prequel.
Princess Nine, a well-told, exciting series about a girls baseball team in Japan competing with the boys.
Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars. Very cool, if a little political, show about alien invasions centered around a middle school.
Shadow Star Narutaru, surprisingly twisted foray into a world of really %&$%ed up kids.
Yes Chris that's the stuff I'm looking for, kudos man I'll definitely be checking those out. Honestly I can't seem to find any better way to waste my money these days, it's awesome