DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Focusing More On TV Show Box Set's...

Old 06-11-05, 03:54 PM
Banned

Focusing More On TV Show Box Set's...

Hey, havent posted in a while, so I am going to now.

We just got the starz, cinemax, and hbo packages with our cox digital cable. Basically 25 premium channels of movies/series everyday. I know its not like owning them, because you cant watch them whenever you want, but theres a lot on, I mean A LOT. We even got HBO, Cinemax, and Starz In Demand. We can select a list of movies or tv series from each of the premium services and watch them whenever, and rewind and fast forward them!

No, I am not a sales rep for Cox, I am 16 years old and the above is part of the reason this thread is up

Gonna focus more on TV Show Box Set's.. What I have so far..

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol. 2
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol. 3
The Simpsons S3
The Simpsons S4
That 70's Show S1
That 70's Show S2

It is a decent start. I want to buy some of the season sets of some of the shows off of TV Land (Sanford & Son, The Brady Bunch, Taxi, The Dick Van Dyke Show)

Can you recommend any shows I might like. I am 16, know about some older shows, and like comedy's mostly. I like some serious one's too. The sopranos I will buy in time, but would like for the price to go down first, thnx for the reccomondations ahead of time
Old 06-11-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Might wanna get Vol. 1 of ATHF, and the earlier Simpsons (if they interest you). Family Guy is essential, as is Futurama, and I dig Wonderfalls as well. That's what I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 06-11-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know about Wonderfalls. Despite the fact that members of Joss Whedon's posse worked on the show, I know people who love it the show to death and I know the same number of people who also happen to hate the show with a passion. If you love weird-quirky humor, you may get a kick out of it, but I'd consider it a rental first.

I'd recommend the first volume of ATHF as well as the earlier Simpsons. Well, season one may not be too much of a loss, but you can see the progression pick up with season two.

Arrested Development is a fantastic comedy that's currently out on DVD. Same goes for Scrubs. If you're more of a fan of filthy/racial humor, Chappelle's Show is at the top of it's game. If you love sci-fi shows, Firefly is always worth a peek, especially since Serenity opens in theaters on 9-30-05.
Old 06-11-05, 04:02 PM
Banned

yes family guy and futurama, forgot all about them

The 1st season (I dont know about the 2nd) of The Simpsons are a little weird, lol

Aqua Teen Vol. 1 Most Def.

Whats Wonderfalls?
Old 06-11-05, 04:03 PM
Banned

Chappelle's Show S1, and 2 are on my list

I have heard of Arrested Development and Scrubs, what are they like?
Old 06-11-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Try Futurama
Old 06-11-05, 04:10 PM
Banned

Just snagged up Chappelle's Show S1 from my sis
Old 06-11-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kornboy
Whats Wonderfalls?
Wonderfalls was a short-lived comedy on FOX. It was done by the same people that did Showtime's (also short-lived) Dead Like Me. It's about a girl who gets talked to by stuffed animals and the like. It's kinda weird, but I ejoyed it.
Old 06-11-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my recommendations for comedy tv on dvd:

sketch shows-
Chappelle's Show s1/2
Kids in the Hall s1/2
SCTV v1-3
Mr Show s1-4

sitcoms-
Arrested Development s1
Scrubs s1
Seinfeld s1-4
The Job

cartoons-
Invader Zim
Futurama
Home Movies
Old 06-11-05, 04:51 PM

Harvey Birdman, Batman the Animated Series, Garfield & Friends, Greg the Bunny, Mister Ed, and Newsradio are always good.

Paul
Old 06-11-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I cannot recommend Scrubs enough. For my money, it's the funniest, most touching show on television. (just finished S1 the other day, and I can't wait for S2 and so on).

ATHF S1 is a must have, as are Family Guy and Futurama. My wife and I just got finished with the first three seasons of 24, and I recommend a rental on those (not much replay I wouldn't think)

I can't recommend anything else right now, but I'm sure there are plenty of other good ones out there.
Old 06-11-05, 05:45 PM
Banned

Hey, havent posted in a while, so I am going to now.

We just got the starz, cinemax, and hbo packages with our cox digital cable. Basically 25 premium channels of movies/series everyday. I know its not like owning them, because you cant watch them whenever you want, but theres a lot on, I mean A LOT. We even got HBO, Cinemax, and Starz In Demand. We can select a list of movies or tv series from each of the premium services and watch them whenever, and rewind and fast forward them!

No, I am not a sales rep for Cox, I am 16 years old and the above is part of the reason this thread is up

Gonna focus more on TV Show Box Set's.. What I have so far..

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol. 2
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol. 3
The Simpsons S3
The Simpsons S4
That 70's Show S1
That 70's Show S2

It is a decent start. I want to buy some of the season sets of some of the shows off of TV Land (Sanford & Son, The Brady Bunch, Taxi, The Dick Van Dyke Show)

Can you recommend any shows I might like. I am 16, know about some older shows, and like comedy's mostly. I like some serious one's too. The sopranos I will buy in time, but would like for the price to go down first, thnx for the reccomondations ahead of time
Well, what a surprise. 'kornboy' is 16. Who would've thunk?

Anyway, just one grammar hint before I give my suggestions. Learn the proper usage of apostrophes. When you are trying to decide whether or not to use an 's, think "is", unless you're denoting posession. If the statement doesn't sound right by saying "[particular word] is" then don't use the apostrophe. I won't go into each error you made, but this misuse of apostrophes is one of those grammar things that bug me.

Now then, it's apparent that you like comedies. That's fine. But if I were you, I'd branch out a little bit and try some sci-fi and/or some action dramas. By action dramas, I mean like cop shows or whatnot. Shows like 24, The Shield, even some Law & Order or C.S.I. shows. The reason I say that you need to branch out a bit, is in a few years when you get older and then your friends come over and all they see are comedies, mostly of which, are cartoons, they're going to look at you a little funny. Hell, I have the complete collections of Hercules (sans Season 6) and Xena and I feel a little embarassed by them.

For some sci-fi choices, I'd look into shows like X-Files, Stargate, Babylon 5, Farscape and some Star Trek. I've got all of them except X-Files, mainly due to the its high prices.

And then looking further back for some nostalgia (well, it'd be before your time), try some shows like Knight Rider, Airwolf, or The A-Team. I don't have any of them, mainly because I'm trying to cut down on my buying and because they're so old, they only just have mono soundtracks, and currently my HT system doesn't do mono tracks all that well.
Old 06-11-05, 05:46 PM
Banned

paulNJ21

was greg the bunny that tv show on wb a while back with the red haired guy from entourage, and he had a really hot sister?
Old 06-11-05, 05:50 PM
Banned

nope i guess the show i was thinking of was...

Unhappily Ever After

Is that out on dvd? I loved that show back in the day..
Old 06-11-05, 06:04 PM
Banned

Mike Lowrey - shut up on my grammah

I did like Rescue Me (thats not really a comedy). Is that out on DVD yet?

I have seen a little of The Shield, is that a good show?

Also, I remember a few months ago, sites were doing season 1's for $14.99

Do they ever do that anymore?
Old 06-11-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

paulNJ21

was greg the bunny that tv show on wb a while back with the red haired guy from entourage, and he had a really hot sister?
nope, Greg the Bunny was with Seth Green, who played Oz in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He had no sister, but his dad was played by Eugene Levy (SCTV, Splash, American Pie, etc). And there are puppets.

Rescue Me s1 released this past week (6/7).

The Shield is an excellent, edgy cop drama and I'd definitely recommend it if you like cop shows or enjoy good characterization and writing. Seasons 1-3 are on dvd right now. I think s4 just ended its run on F/X (or it's about to). It will probably be on dvd next spring.

I believe those 14.99 s1 sales are over now. Sorry.

Last edited by mifuneral; 06-11-05 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-11-05, 06:16 PM
Banned

Mike Lowrey - shut up on my grammah

Rescue Me is either out now, or soon will be. Too lazy to check the web right now.

I saw most of the first season, a little of the second. It's a dark, gritty, and intense cop drama. Very good if you like that kind of stuff. I'd buy them if they were a little cheaper. ~$40 is a little steep for 13-18 episodes.

Amazon was doing that a while back, I picked up S1 of both Dark Angel and 24 in that sale. Since then, I have completed the collections. Amazon's doing it again now, but there's not that big of a selection.
Old 06-11-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
I saw most of the first season, a little of the second. It's a dark, gritty, and intense cop drama. Very good if you like that kind of stuff. I'd buy them if they were a little cheaper. ~$40 is a little steep for 13-18 episodes.
Yeah, I guess it makes more sense to pay $20 for a 2 hr movie than $40 for more than 12hrs of tv.
Old 06-11-05, 07:46 PM

My Picks

if I where you, I would go for

Roswell - lastest for only 3 seasons and is my favorite show. The first two are out already and the 3rd comes out August 9th

Smallville - It just finished its 4th season and the first 3 are out now the 4th will be out very soon

The O.C - It just finished its 2nd season. The first season is out and the 2nd will be out on DVD very soon.
Everwood - Just finished its 3rd season, the first season is on DVD but there is no idea when the other 2 will be out.
The Dead Zone - Another favorite of mine. The 4th season starts tonight and as of Tuesday I think, the first 3 seasons are available
Cheers - It lasted for 11 years and the first 5 seasons are out now.

Last edited by PHMustang2000; 06-11-05 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-11-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now then, it's apparent that you like comedies. That's fine. But if I were you, I'd branch out a little bit and try some sci-fi and/or some action dramas. By action dramas, I mean like cop shows or whatnot. Shows like 24, The Shield, even some Law & Order or C.S.I. shows. The reason I say that you need to branch out a bit, is in a few years when you get older and then your friends come over and all they see are comedies, mostly of which, are cartoons, they're going to look at you a little funny.
And you may want to not downplay the appeal of animated programs. I'm sure Star Trek and the X-Files would get more odd looks from friends than ATHF or The Simpsons. To each their own and such, but these animated shows aren't for kiddies, nor does their appeal cease to exist once you're out of high school. I'm not sure how old you are, but I can assure you that these shows are probably more popular with the college and twentysomethings than they are with the young teens.
Old 06-11-05, 11:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mifuneral
Yeah, I guess it makes more sense to pay $20 for a 2 hr movie than $40 for more than 12hrs of tv.
Well, besides that. $40+ for a 13 episode season is a bit steep for a TV show. I'm just comparing it to other shows that average $40 per season with most being the full ~22-episode lot.
Old 06-12-05, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Comedy:

The Bob Newhart Show
Cheers (most of the reruns are from later in the series which some like better.. I prefer the earlier ones)
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Fawlty Towers
Futurama (some reruns)
Home Movies (some reruns)
The Honeymooners
King of the Hill (go the rerun route)
Mr. Bean
NewsRadio
Sports Night
Taxi

Other genres:

Babylon 5
Dead Like Me
Firefly
Freaks and Geeks
From the Earth to the Moon
Homicide: LotS
Northern Exposure
The Outer Limits
The Twilight Zone
Old 06-12-05, 04:23 PM

another vote for Firefly... a fantastic show. It was a blind buy a week or so back, and im glad I picked it up. Its got scifi, wild west, and comedy.
Old 01-03-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Focusing More On TV Show Box Set's...

kornboy is going to be 30 years old this year...
Old 01-03-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Focusing More On TV Show Box Set's...

So, did he finally become a sales rep for Cox?