Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Be Cool'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-05, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Ian Jane's DVD review of Be Cool at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=15867 and... I have to wonder, did she see the same movie as I? I appreciated "Get Shorty" for it's tight, clever script, as well as it's amusing characters and dialogue and (with some strong reservations) was intrigued by the idea of a sequel. I should have smelled a rat the minute Travolta signed on for this; given his track record for the past 10 years, it's become apparent that unless Q. Tarantino is reading his scripts for him, he has a knack for picking the stinkiest of cheese-laden scripts, seemingly without fail. It's a shame, too, because he is a talented, charismatic actor who (in the right role) can really be a pleasure to watch.

An artificial, gratuitous sequel, this movie falls flat every step of the way. Travolta (in a bad auburn dye job), Thurman (who's getting a little long in the tooth to be playing a trophy bimbo) and a lively supporting cast try their best (particularly amusing is Vince Vaughn, who seems to be making a career of being the best thing in crappy, so-called "comedies"), but all eventually fall prey to an uninspired, perfunctory and downright dull script.

A trendy, self-conciously "hip" wanna-be, rather than an effortlessly "cool" original, this film tries too hard to emulate "Get Shorty"'s smooth factor (it fails miserably), while forgetting the sharply clever, sardonic (and, at times, smug) sense of humor that actually distinguished the first film.

If you're curious, wait for it this come on cable... you'll swear it was made for TV in the first place.

Last edited by truedorian; 06-04-05 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-20-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i enjoyed "be cool" i agree its not as good as the orginal but its a pretty good movie with some pretty good laughs. i would of probably gave it a 3.5/5
Old 05-23-05, 10:25 PM

I love it the rock rules..
Old 05-25-05, 05:29 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Rock and Vince Vaughn made this movie work, I thought it was way better than Get Shorty
Old 05-25-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't seen this yet, but it looks like it had a similar problem with Ocean's 12. Both had a big cast, but it just didn't work.
Old 05-28-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The original post sums up my feelings on the sequel too. The Aerosmith cameo was pretty lame as well, I thought.