Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Closer - Personal DVD Review

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-31-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I decided to write another review because I seem to enjoy doing these for some reason. It makes me feel like I am getting the "most" out of my dvd purchase...who knows...

Closer

The Film: "A"

In a newspaper article I wrote last Christmas, I named "Closer" my #4 film of the year, so you can pretty much guess that I liked it. Director Mike Nichols does an incredible job with the actors, I think this is the best ensemble piece in years. Natalie Portman is my generation's best actress. Julie Roberts does such a great job in an untypical role for her, Jude Law and Clive Owen are also excellent. I really enjoyed this film, as did the friends I saw it with, because it was real, brutal, and both touching and darkly funny. The scene between Julia and Clive after his return from the business trip gets my stomach in knots because it is so well done. Don't expect "Closer" to be an action-fest but do except a great movie. Where the hell was this at the Oscars?

The Dvd:

Picture: "A"
I was a bit bummed when I saw this was a Superbit title, but the film is worth the dvd cost. I expected a great transfer and I was not disappointed. "Closer" proves that Columbia is capable of doing a quality transfer. Everything was sharp, clear, and well-defined and mirrored the theatrical image. There were few flaws if any, but those included some light edge enhancement and either some brief pixelation or specks, I couldn't tell which.

Audio: "A-"
Available in DTS and Dolby, I chose Dolby because that is all my theater set-up will allow. I listened to some of the DTS on my computer, but that can't do a track justice. The audio was very clear and well-balanced and rendered at a good level. Mostly a dialogue driven movie, "Closer" didn't give the surrounds a work-out, but the track is as good as it should be.

Extras: "D"
At least we get a video... There are also a handful of previews, including one for "Closer."

Packaging:
"Closer" arrives in a standard amaray case without a slipcover or chapter insert. There is a flyer for other Julia Roberts movies. I really like the cover of "Closer" despite the award gloating and Superbit logo. The image of the four blended heads is very crisp and clear and the artwork seems very "neat" to me. The back is also fairly tasteful, with a short summary and some pictures. The disc is white with a slight picture of some buildings and "Closer" written in red. There are skippable previews before the menu. I also found it interesting that the DTS intro they used is a very old one. It dispalys a cd that bursts into specks and then says DTS. It is funny because it says "this theater" is equipped with DTS.

Overall: "A-"
"Closer" is a very fine film worth purchasing or renting at your descretion. The DVD has a great transfer, fine audio, and little supplemental material given that it is a Superbit title.

Last edited by Willh51; 03-31-05 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-31-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Screenshots:
Old 04-03-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I was also thinking about the ending, which I read somewhere was a bit "extended" in the original work.

Spoiler:
Does Natalie Portman keep walking and get hit by a car in America? It would make sense because she is used to London traffic and the sign clearly says stop... Any thoughts?

Last edited by Willh51; 04-03-05 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-03-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Willh51
I was also thinking about the ending, which I read somewhere was a bit "extended" in the original work.

Spoiler:
Does Natalie Portman keep walking and get hit by a car in America? It would make sense because she is used to London traffic and the sign clearly says stop... Any thoughts?
Spoiler:
Yes, in the play she gets run over by a car and dies.

And Natalie has the hawt factor in the last scene.
Old 04-04-05, 11:34 AM
Banned

Location: You ever look up in the sky at night and notice a star shining so bright and so proud by such a margin that it deserves to be in its own category? I am that star!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just out curiousity. Is there any paticular reason why you review all the films Scott Lecter's reviews? Its kind of rude to try to show some one up like that...DVD talk is probably in need of more reviewers they are constantly begging me to join...but i don't work for less than $500 a review...IGN has paid very well
Old 04-04-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sparklek1D
Just out curiousity. Is there any paticular reason why you review all the films Scott Lecter's reviews? Its kind of rude to try to show some one up like that...DVD talk is probably in need of more reviewers they are constantly begging me to join...but i don't work for less than $500 a review...IGN has paid very well
He's done 2 reviews, that isn't doing "all" of Scott Lecter's reviews.
Old 04-04-05, 11:46 AM

just keep the reviews coming

Wow, Schizophrenic much?

I agree with the latter statement and not the former. Nice job!
Old 04-04-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Willh51

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The character is hit by a car and killed at the end of the play version
Old 04-04-05, 12:54 PM
Banned

Location: You ever look up in the sky at night and notice a star shining so bright and so proud by such a margin that it deserves to be in its own category? I am that star!
Originally Posted by Mhepburn20
Wow, Schizophrenic much?

I agree with the latter statement and not the former. Nice job!
haha...I love the reviews the pictures look great...
Old 04-04-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well I don't even catch who does what review so I am not intentionally doing all the films one person does. The only reason I did these two was for the hell of it and because I bought these dvds. I am certainly not a professional writer or reviewer. I am glad some of you liked the reviews and I am certainly not trying to upstage anyone, I promise! I do wish "Closer" had some sort of a making-of, but I don't know how the dvds are of Nichols' other films.
Old 04-07-05, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for your review and screen shots.