Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Great Kat: Extreme Guitar Shred'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-05, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Don Houston's DVD review of Great Kat: Extreme Guitar Shred at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14911 and...I love you best when you are brutal! I don't know if Kat is "The Great" or not, never heard of her, but I'm almost tempted to rush to Blockbuster just to see if I agree with your pronouncements. Good job!
Old 03-18-05, 03:11 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

I doubt very much Blockbuster will carry this one. In fairness, I said some nice things about the DVD and Katherine, I just get the feeling that she won't appreciate them in the context of the review (especially given how weak the DVD was).
Old 03-18-05, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Houstondon
I doubt very much Blockbuster will carry this one. In fairness, I said some nice things about the DVD and Katherine, I just get the feeling that she won't appreciate them in the context of the review (especially given how weak the DVD was).
You did say some nice things.....as I recall you said she still looked pretty appealing (for an aging rocker gal).... the darts to the heart were the parts that went "reprieve from obscurity", "total obsession w/herself", "actually has a modicum of talent" and the afore mentioned "aging rocker gal"....

The worst thing you said was to call yourself "old, former fan".... hmmmm....you don't write like you're old.....but I guess you're old enough to know her history, huh?

No doubt one little review from you is not a problem....I'm sure she has a vast audience of admirers that will lap up the DVD with enthusiasm and clammor for more of the same. Different strokes and all that jazz....

Old 03-21-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When does the Lita Ford DVD come out
Old 03-22-05, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
I actually remember "The Great Kat" from the late 80s.

Her schtick was grating even back then. For whatever reason, about every two years or so in the 90s I'd wonder what happened to her, and quickly forget until the next time.

Kind of surprising that she hasn't outgrown her "messiah" crap, the leather outfits, and the dopey reactionary right-wing politics.

She's actually a good guitarist, but her music and image is so completely sub-Spinal Tap kitsch that I can't help but think she's either the biggest poseur I've ever laid eyes on (meaning that she's completely clueless as to what real metal is about, and falls back on the cartoony image she has in her mind) or a complete idiot.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-22-05 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-22-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I bought her 'Worship Me Or Die!' tape years ago. It was...interesting....and you're right, there's definitely some talent in there, it's just hidden under all the leather and blonde hair.
Old 03-27-05, 04:33 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I bought her 'Worship Me Or Die!' tape years ago. It was...interesting....and you're right, there's definitely some talent in there, it's just hidden under all the leather and blonde hair.
Also keep in mind that her aging body doesn't work nearly as well with the leather outfits these days too.
Old 03-27-05, 04:37 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I actually remember "The Great Kat" from the late 80s.

Her schtick was grating even back then. For whatever reason, about every two years or so in the 90s I'd wonder what happened to her, and quickly forget until the next time.

Kind of surprising that she hasn't outgrown her "messiah" crap, the leather outfits, and the dopey reactionary right-wing politics.

She's actually a good guitarist, but her music and image is so completely sub-Spinal Tap kitsch that I can't help but think she's either the biggest poseur I've ever laid eyes on (meaning that she's completely clueless as to what real metal is about, and falls back on the cartoony image she has in her mind) or a complete idiot.
Josh, I think you summed up the DVD, and Katherine, better than I could have ever done (and I'm not opposed to "reactionary right wing politics" any more than the average guy). If you saw the email I got from her (or her publicist; they seem to be the same person), you'd roll on the floor laughing your behind off (or your eyes would roll 360 around your head; take your pick). It still had some interesting ideas and it was dirt cheap on Amazon though.