Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Incredibles'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'The Incredibles'

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sparklek1D
Ice Age opened with $46,312,454 and Shark Tale opened with $47,604,606 how is that comparable to Shrek 2's $108,037,878?
Ice Age, Shark Tale, and Shrek 2 all have biggest opening weekends for their respective months. I wasn't comparing anything to Shrek 2, I was saying that having the biggest opening for a cgi flick in a certain month isnt a big deal at all.
Old 04-07-05, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Damed
A great loaded disc to be sure.

Am I the only one who finds this film to be one of Pixar's weakest in terms of story? I wasn't that impressed at all.
Agreed, easily the worst Pixar film yet, which surprised me.

On the other hand, that's a high standard so it was still a good movie.

I'm glad I didn't buy it. Hope Pixar hasn't jumped the shark...

Last edited by porieux; 04-07-05 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-07-05, 10:59 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by porieux

I thought it was a good movie, but yeah it was pixars weakest. In saying that, they haven't disapointed yet.
Old 04-09-05, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by porieux

I think what your talking about is in terms of taste, I thought the movie was very well done. On the other hand, I popped in Finding Nemo for the first time last night and could barely sit through it. I don't understand how that movie got so much praise from the adult crowd.
Old 04-11-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluedust97
Finding Nemo would of been a lot better if Nemo's father shared the same fate as Bambi's mother.
I find it hard to take seriously criticism from anyone who says "would of". Do they not teach basic grammar in schools anymore?
Old 04-11-05, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I find it hard to take seriously criticism from anyone who says "would of". Do they not teach basic grammar in schools anymore?
Not everybody writes reviews professionally. I agree with him completely-- every step of the story was predictable, there was no character development to speak of, the jokes were simple and seemed to be designed just to get a reaction out of the younger audience. Sure it's a great kids movie but it boggles my mind that adults can be just as entertained. I almost gave this a blind buy because of rotten tomatoes' 98% fresh meter-- it's as if critics think they have to lower their standards because a movie is aimed at children. I look at movies like aladdin and the lion king and I see a great deal of cleverness and skill in creating a movie that both adults and kids can enjoy equally-- it's just lazy when studios think they only need to appeal to one side, IMO.

Last edited by DVD King; 04-11-05 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-12-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
To defend Josh, I also don't see the value in contradictory statements such as "Finding Nemo blew" and "Is it a great movie for kids? Absolutely." I pretty much dismissed your post at that point. Finding Nemo is, after all, a movie directed toward kids. The fact that adults can enjoy it is a cool bonus. I happen to love the movie, particularly when I watch it through the eyes of my 4-year-old daughter and see how much joy it brings her. I appreciate the film for not talking down to her. It's actually a superbly written film, and I happen to think that at least one of the characters experiences profound growth (Marlin).

Having said all that, I think you were just baiting for these kinds of reactions.
Old 04-12-05, 10:06 AM
Banned

I didn't see this movie in the theatres. At first I thought the show was slow. It took quite a while to develop. But fromt he time Dash got a mouthful of bugs, it was non-stop laughing until the end.

One gripe though. Disney is normally good to give you widescreen and fullscreen in the same package. Why not on this one?
Old 04-12-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
This is supposed to be about The Incredibles.

If you want to debate the best/worst Pixar movie or Finding Nemo, go to the Movies forum. Any further off-topic banter will be moved.
Old 04-12-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think my distaste for The Incredibles comes from expectation.

Pixar/Disney films have traditionally been about humor, with a great story. Finding Nemo wasn't my fav, either.

The trailer for The Incredibles focused a lot on humor. I was excited to see another funny Pixar film (a' la Toy Story). Funny it was not. Did it have a few humorous moments? Yes - but I wouldn't classify the film as a comedy. I think this is where my distaste for the film stems from.

In it's own right, it is a decent film. Don't get me wrong. I just did not enjoy it nearly as much as I was expecting to, and I think the fact that I was expecting to laugh a lot is largely to blame for it.
Old 04-13-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some of the comments in this thread illustrate perfectly what Brad Bird says with great emphasis in the commentary for The Incredibles:

"Animation is NOT a genre!"